Should I switch to Dish?

Which would you choose based on features?

• The Hopper

Votes: 19 86.4%
  • The Genie

Votes: 3 13.6%

• Total voters
No one really answered your question about tuner and timer management, but since you said it was a deal-breaker, I think it only to be fair to mention that yeah, timers between the hoppers have to be managed separately. If you have 4 overlapping non PTAT timers on one hopper, one of them will get skipped, and it won't record on the other hopper unless you specifically set the timer on the other hopper. The best way to get around this problem is plan your timers, either by household member (wife manages one hopper for her shows and kids shows, husband manages the other :) ), or by time of day so that you never have more than 3 overlapping timer events. You can set PTAT on only one hopper (and select the days and channels (ABC/FOX/CBS/NBC) you want for each day) so that all prime time network recordings can be housed on one hopper, freeing up all 3 tuners on the other for non-PTAT recordings. Despite the separate tuner/timer management, both hoppers can see each other's recordings.

Last edited:
No one really answered your question about tuner and timer management, but since you said it was a deal-breaker, I think it only to be fair to mention that yeah, timers between the hoppers have to be managed separately. If you have 4 overlapping non PTAT timers on one hopper, one of them will get skipped, and it won't record on the other hopper unless you specifically set the timer on the other hopper. The best way to get around this problem is plan your timers, either by household member (wife manages one hopper for her shows and kids shows, husband manages the other :) ), or by time of day so that you never have more than 3 overlapping timer events. You can set PTAT on only one hopper (and select the days and channels (ABC/FOX/CBS/NBC) you want for each day) so that all prime time network recordings can be housed on one hopper, freeing up all 3 tuners on the other for non-PTAT recordings.

I guess I did say it was a deal breaker, but I have changed my stance a bit, and it will be much easier managing if I do PTAT on one hopper and have my wife record her shows on the other :). Great help here on the forums!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)