This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Should I upgrade from a 942 to a 622?

braunsearch

Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
I had nothing but problems with my 921. I guess the techs at Dish got tired of my regular calls and replaced it with a 942. I have had the 942 for a couple of months and it works great.

Other than to get a couple of HD channels that are only available on MPEG 4, is there any other reason I should upgrade to a 622? (I "own" the 942 but understand that if I want a 622 I can only lease it).

I understand that DISH may be coming out with a new model HD DVR. Do you have any info.

BRAUNSEARCH

You can own a 622. You can buy from the vendors on here. I have both a 942 and a 622
622 gets the extra channels, but no major feature differences IMHO.
622 is a less stable than the 942 and actually the 942 has a feature to show the show no and original airdate so you can see if it really is new.

I do like UNIHD though, which i cant get on the 942. oh nor the HD locals of course which is the reason i upgraded to the 622.
So i would say unless you want some more issues, minor for me, and HD locals, wait.

Last edited:
I own a 921 and added a leased 622 to the setup rather than give Dish my 921 for $200. My 921 works perfect and was worth more to me as a second/backup receiver/DVR. Now I have twice the record capability and the ability to record multiple OTA-HD chanels and the new MPEG4 channels.

Feature wise it's about the same other than the new channels. In fact I miss having the two standard A/V outputs like the 921 has.

My leased 942 was rock-solid reliable, but the 622 is quite stable for a new receiver. Initially, I replaced a leased 811 with a purchased 622. In my case, I enjoyed the new HD channels and a couple months later felt comfortable enough to replace my leased 942 with another purchased 622. The only problem I've had with the 622 is with HDMI (E* is having to replace a 2nd box...HDMI seems to die after 6-8 weeks). If you're happy with the current HD lineup then there is no reason to change. However, if you want more HD then 88% (poll taken a few months back) of 622 owners/leasers are satisfied with this device.

I have a 921 and just upgraded and installed a 622 yesterday. I waited for months debating on whether to upgrade. The thing that finally swayed me was football season coming up (NFLHD & ESPN2 were only available in mpeg4) and the $100 back promo (upgrade will only end up costing $99 and I didn't have to return my owned 921). The rest of the additional programming (except for HGTV) was not compelling. I have to say after playing with it last night, I really like the additional features; name based recording, the themes search menu, and TV2 capabilities. The only drawbacks that I have found so far is the fact that I lost an AV output and will now have to pay a lease fee and additional DVR fee.

Believe me, I was not convinced that upgrading was necessary, but I am now really glad that I did.

garys said:
I believe the new model will only be one tuner. If you are used to the dual tuners of the 921 and 942 you will miss that.

Both 942 and 622 have 3 tuners: 2 sat. tuners and 1 OTA tuner.:up

Minsk1 said:
Both 942 and 622 have 3 tuners: 2 sat. tuners and 1 OTA tuner.:up
The 622 OTA can only do Digital (atsc) and not analog (ntsc). But the 622 also has a larger disk and of course mpeg4.