Should I upgrade from a 942 to a 622?

braunsearch

Original poster
Jul 26, 2006
I had nothing but problems with my 921. I guess the techs at Dish got tired of my regular calls and replaced it with a 942. I have had the 942 for a couple of months and it works great.

Other than to get a couple of HD channels that are only available on MPEG 4, is there any other reason I should upgrade to a 622? (I "own" the 942 but understand that if I want a 622 I can only lease it).

I understand that DISH may be coming out with a new model HD DVR. Do you have any info.

BRAUNSEARCH

You can own a 622. You can buy from the vendors on here. I have both a 942 and a 622
622 gets the extra channels, but no major feature differences IMHO.
622 is a less stable than the 942 and actually the 942 has a feature to show the show no and original airdate so you can see if it really is new.

I do like UNIHD though, which i cant get on the 942. oh nor the HD locals of course which is the reason i upgraded to the 622.
So i would say unless you want some more issues, minor for me, and HD locals, wait.

Last edited:
I own a 921 and added a leased 622 to the setup rather than give Dish my 921 for $200. My 921 works perfect and was worth more to me as a second/backup receiver/DVR. Now I have twice the record capability and the ability to record multiple OTA-HD chanels and the new MPEG4 channels.

Feature wise it's about the same other than the new channels. In fact I miss having the two standard A/V outputs like the 921 has.

My leased 942 was rock-solid reliable, but the 622 is quite stable for a new receiver. Initially, I replaced a leased 811 with a purchased 622. In my case, I enjoyed the new HD channels and a couple months later felt comfortable enough to replace my leased 942 with another purchased 622. The only problem I've had with the 622 is with HDMI (E* is having to replace a 2nd box...HDMI seems to die after 6-8 weeks). If you're happy with the current HD lineup then there is no reason to change. However, if you want more HD then 88% (poll taken a few months back) of 622 owners/leasers are satisfied with this device.

I have a 921 and just upgraded and installed a 622 yesterday. I waited for months debating on whether to upgrade. The thing that finally swayed me was football season coming up (NFLHD & ESPN2 were only available in mpeg4) and the $100 back promo (upgrade will only end up costing $99 and I didn't have to return my owned 921). The rest of the additional programming (except for HGTV) was not compelling. I have to say after playing with it last night, I really like the additional features; name based recording, the themes search menu, and TV2 capabilities. The only drawbacks that I have found so far is the fact that I lost an AV output and will now have to pay a lease fee and additional DVR fee.

Believe me, I was not convinced that upgrading was necessary, but I am now really glad that I did.

Minsk1 said:
Both 942 and 622 have 3 tuners: 2 sat. tuners and 1 OTA tuner.:up
The 622 OTA can only do Digital (atsc) and not analog (ntsc). But the 622 also has a larger disk and of course mpeg4.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)