Another 622 HDMI port FAILS

DaveyBoy26

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 4, 2006
Indianapolis
I've had my 622 for exactly 19 days and the HDMI failed today. This timetable is pretty much in line with what others have been saying(about 2 weeks). Instead of calling Dish to get a replacement, I'm just using the component jacks instead. I prefer HDMI, so I guess I'll just wait for that "software upgrade" that will "fix" the problem.:rolleyes:

if it failed, I don't understand how software is going to fix it? What am I missing on the HDMI issues with the 622? I have one and a 211 and have no problems with any ports on them. had them since they came out. I thought the problems were complete failures of the port.

In my not so technical opinion I think E knows the port failures are hardware. They are going to string folks along with a "software fix" so they don't have to keep replacing every 622 that fails. If something else fails on the box that has an HDMI problem they will replace based on that, but the "company line" sounds like it's officially "a software fix"

Good Afternoon..
I am on my 3rd VIP 622 replacementment box and I lost my HDMI connection yesterday. After talking to Advanced Tech they told me they would not issue me a new replacement box because there is a software issue and the are working on fixing the problem. My question is why do the new replacement boxes work for a couple of weeks and then they loose the picture??? When I hooked up the latest box the picture was awesome through the HDMI connection. Now I have to live with an average picture through my component cables. Anyone have any solutions? Your help is appreciated..
Regards Arnie........

Component offers a little less detail than HDMI, but more vivid colors(a little less realistic looking actually), as far as I can tell. The picture is clean and clear though, and looks comparable to HDMI on the HD channels.

I am not an expert on HDCP subject. But I am strongly believe the HDMI issue related with Dish box is somewhat an issue of handshake with certain HDMI chips (or coding) used in certain TVs. Looks like the port has been "shutoff" due to "violation" of content protection detected with HDCP mechnisim. That would explain why it always works at begining. It has to accumulate certain amount of "violation" before the port is disabled. Enabling port won't be easy, unless going through some serious ROM reflesh processes. I doubt any general software update will re-enable the HDMI port, if that would be the case, the whole HDCP mechnisim would be worthless. Just my two cents. So far, I have been lucky enough that have no HDMI issues with my "C" & "D" version of boxes.

Last edited:
I don't think it's a software or "errors shutting off the port" problem. On my 622's HDMI port, only the red color went out. It would come and go for a few days, then the blue and green went out but did come back a couple of times sometimes showing snow. Now it's completely dead, sure looks like a hardware failure to me.

I believe the CSR's response is from another HDMI issue with compatibility with certain TVs which a software update could fix. I agree with pdxsam that Dish doesn't want to replace the 622s with a bad HDMI port since the customer could just use the componet connection and the replacement 622 would just fail again due to a design problem.

hzhao said:
I am not an expert on HDCP subject. But I am strongly believe the HDMI issue related with Dish box is somewhat an issue of handshake with certain HDMI chips (or coding) used in certain TVs. Looks like the port has been "shutoff" due to "violation" of content protection detected with HDCP mechnisim. That would explain why it always works at begining. It has to accumulate certain amount of "violation" before the port is disabled. Enabling port won't be easy, unless going through some serious ROM reflesh processes. I doubt any general software update will re-enable the HDMI port, if that would be the case, the whole HDCP mechnisim would be worthless. Just my two cents. So far, I have been lucky enough that have no HDMI issues with my "C" & "D" version of boxes.
Mine never worked so it aint the TV.,.

A number of people have reported that if they jiggle the connector around a little, they've gotten their signal back. This combined with failures that occur without a relationship to software updates, points at a hardware problem.

OTOH, the fact that failures are occuring on 211s, 411s, and 622s, but not 942s (which don't have the MPEG4 decoder chips), hints at it being software related ... UNLESS all of the new boxes are being manufactured in the same plant or to the same specs.

I lean to it being hardware.

I installed my new 622 yesterday - it's a revision "F" and my old one was a "D". The HDMI output on the old one died about a week after software L359 was downloaded. The new one downloaded L359 when I installed it and the HDMI port is, so far, working fine. This leads me to believe it's a hardware issue, and I think it's related to the excessive heat of the older boxes.

Just upgraded to the 622 on Sat. It was the "E" version. And yes the HDMI Port was DOA!! Sux. Called and they're sending me a new 622 Tuesday. Glad I don't have to wait around from 12-5pm for an installer to show at 6pm...waste of a Saturday.

Last edited:
JeremyL said:
I installed my new 622 yesterday - it's a revision "F" and my old one was a "D". The HDMI output on the old one died about a week after software L359 was downloaded. The new one downloaded L359 when I installed it and the HDMI port is, so far, working fine. This leads me to believe it's a hardware issue, and I think it's related to the excessive heat of the older boxes.

May I ask where on the 622 box one looks to find the revision letter. I have looked at the lables on the back, but nothing says "Revision". Mine was just installed on July 15, so it ought to be a current revision. Thanks.

retexan599 said:
May I ask where on the 622 box one looks to find the revision letter. I have looked at the lables on the back, but nothing says "Revision". Mine was just installed on July 15, so it ought to be a current revision. Thanks.

I'd like to know that too if someone could post.

My HDMI started going out (usually when I powered it on when I got home at night it simply would not be working). I could jiggle the HDMI cable where it plugs into the receiver and the signal would come back. Then I was good to go for a day or two. This went on for several weeks but the time finally came when jiggling the cable no longer worked. A new 622 is on its way.

sonnyboy11 said:
I'd like to know that too if someone could post.

My HDMI started going out (usually when I powered it on when I got home at night it simply would not be working). I could jiggle the HDMI cable where it plugs into the receiver and the signal would come back. Then I was good to go for a day or two. This went on for several weeks but the time finally came when jiggling the cable no longer worked. A new 622 is on its way.
At the end of the serial number which probably begins rber.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts