Should I upgrade or switch to D*?

HiDefGuy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 26, 2004
Tidewater, VA
Former VoOm customer...

I switched to E* when V* went down and got a 942 on lease and Superdish with the original $10 HD pack. I have since bought a new TV (Pioneer 6010FD) and its time to upgrade my HD content. Seems like this is a lot of activity in the HD realm and could use some guidance.

One option is to stick with E* and lease two 722s. I would then also need 61.5 to get more HD content, right? I have my old Voom dish, and can put that back up. But I will need a DP44 switch to tie it in. Will they install that stuff for free or can I do it myself?

My other option is of course to take the chance and switch over to D*. If you think E* will stop HDLite and match D* offerings soon I don't mind staying. Even if it means having a Superdish and another 18" at 61.5...

Should I try calling in or just send an email to ceo@echostar.com?

It sure would be nice to have one dish.

Former VoOm customer...

I switched to E* when V* went down and got a 942 on lease and Superdish with the original $10 HD pack. I have since bought a new TV (Pioneer 6010FD) and its time to upgrade my HD content. Seems like this is a lot of activity in the HD realm and could use some guidance.

One option is to stick with E* and lease two 722s. I would then also need 61.5 to get more HD content, right? I have my old Voom dish, and can put that back up. But I will need a DP44 switch to tie it in. Will they install that stuff for free or can I do it myself?

My other option is of course to take the chance and switch over to D*. If you think E* will stop HDLite and match D* offerings soon I don't mind staying. Even if it means having a Superdish and another 18" at 61.5...

Please don't abuse (and waste you time with) the email to ceo!!! Just get on the phone.

Most threads I read around here imply that I'd be wasting my time calling in.

For general questions, like you have, your best bet is to just call. If you don't want to talk to the goat herders, I suggest selecting the 'tech support' option. Then act suprised when they transfer you to them.

the email addy is good to use when you just can't get something resolved or answered via phone. But your questions should be answered via phone.

Ok I'll give it a shot.

Will they know about the 2x722 lease deal? And isn't there a $100 rebate on them too? Is there any angle to getting the 61.5 dish going?

Former VoOm customer...

Unless the thinking has changed from last month - most people in this forum said to go with the provider that has it available NOW, not the one that MAY have it later - that would mean you should change.

That being said, if you are happy with what you have - stay where you are. Things will equal out.

Unless the thinking has changed from last month - most people in this forum said to go with the provider that has it available NOW, not the one that MAY have it later - that would mean you should change.

That being said, if you are happy with what you have - stay where you are. Things will equal out.

Understood, but to get two HD DVRs with D* I'd be paying $500+ right? With E* I can get two 722s for $200 after rebate. I can't say the edge that D* has right now is worth throwing hundreds of dollars at. Especially when it could all change within a few months.

I went and looked at D*'s web site to do a little cost comparison. To get 2 DVRs and programming that appears to be the same channel package I have with E* and HD service I'd have about $500 in startup costs ($498 to be precise) and my "first month's bill" would be about $5 more than I'm paying with E*. What they DON'T show you on D*'s web site is what your NORMAL bill will be after their 3 months free of this-and-that. I believe I'd be about $15 higher with D* per month after all is said and done.

I'll sit tight with E*. I just don't think there's a compelling reason to change.

Understood, but to get two HD DVRs with D* I'd be paying $500+ right? With E* I can get two 722s for $200 after rebate. I can't say the edge that D* has right now is worth throwing hundreds of dollars at. Especially when it could all change within a few months.

You should do WHATEVER you think is right. You have brought up many different points to consider - having one dish, upgrading, etc. Weigh them all out, pick one and go for it. It's only TV after all.

I too am considering an upgrade, but to AT250 from AT200. Since Dish hasn't added any new programming recently, I figured if I moved up to the higher programming, I would get several additional channels. With AT200 I am only getting a couple Discovery channels In HD so, you might want to take this into consideration as well. It could make a much bigger dent in your wallet though...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts