should I upgrade to a super dish

glenn west

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 19, 2011
anywhere usa
Wife and I travel over most of the USA in our 5th wheel rv. We currently use a Dish 500 and have hd. What would we gain from a super dish?

A much larger dish.

It may be possible to convert a Superdish to a 1000.x dish that would give you access to all of your HD programming without having to fiddle around.

I think you mean a Dish 1000.2
Superdishes havent been used in residential installs in a while. Commercial ones they are still used

What would you gain? HD channels. Most are on 129. A dish 500 only can see a few HD channels

A bunch of extra gear to pack around as there is no LNB available for the Super Dish that has integrated switches. Not to mention the dish is considerably larger than the 500, and in a space limited RV that would be a big negative. Also the diameter of the mast is different than the 500 so you would also nee a new mount. You would be much better off with a 1000.2 or a 1000.4. In fact I would suggest a 1000.4, and getting both the WA LNB, and a EA LNB for it. That way no matter where you stop you have the option of both arcs. The only draw back would be the availability of the local programming to which you subscribe.

Sorry, when I posted super dish i was wrongly putting 1000.2, 1000.4 all in one basket. I do get a lot of hd with the 500. How much more with one of these. Which one will work best on east and west? although we will not be east of Miss much.

glenn west said:
Is the mounting mast the same? I found on ebay for $50.00 dish with lnb 1000.2. We do "pay as you go".

It is the same yes. Little harder to peak, but im sure you can handle it seeing you have been pointing a 500.

glenn west said:
Wife and I travel over most of the USA in our 5th wheel rv. We currently use a Dish 500 and have hd. What would we gain from a super dish?

You would gain a shi*load of wasps!! The superdishes are well known for attracting them due to that nice warm and dry plastic housing on the front.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

A 1000.2 is no harder to align on a tripod than a 500. With a vertical mast and the Skew set into the dish, once you hit 119 the other satellites will be in focus.

I hate tripods. They fall down. I fabricated a mount for my dish coming out of my receiver hitch on my rv. Just have to make sure I park northerly.

I hate tripods. They fall down. I fabricated a mount for my dish coming out of my receiver hitch on my rv. Just have to make sure I park northerly.

That's not necessarily true. I have had my Dish on a tripod for 7 years now and not once has it ever fallen over, even during the strongest of storms...

The stability of a tripod is in the quality of the tripod and the system used to hold it down, ballast or ground anchor.

If I had the luxury of positioning the trailer where it had a good treeless view, I would use the automatic roof dish. The reason I have a tripod too is to handle those situations where the rood dish can't get a view. This sometimes means running out 150'-200' feet of cable. A frame hitch mount would be of little use.

I've been using the homemade frame hitch for over a year now. It is wonderful. I also have a tripod put away. Have not had to use tripod since the hitch. I'm sure I will eventually but so far so good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts