Should I wait for the 922 or go with a 722k and slingbox?

Xinstaller

Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
NJ
I have been following the different threads on the updates of the 922 and I have been holding out for it because I have been due for an upgrade for over a year now. I currently have a 622 and a 522. Since the monitor I had on the 522 was SD and it went out, I ended up getting a nice LCD for it and now I really want HD on it too. I already have a sling box connected to my 622 so at this point would it be wiser to go with 2 722k's or wait and get the 922 and a 722k? Thanks

Thanks Scott, I had read in one of your posts that you had a couple of sling box's that are very reliable. And now it seems like the 922 is about to come out soon but sounds like a very limited receiver with a lot of potential for the future. I guess I should wait till my next upgrade to consider it and hopefully it will be feature packed at that time.

Don't wait. That box is still buggy and they have been working on it for over a year. If it is STABLE by December, I would be suprised.

IMO, the 722K is THE receiver to have right now. 4 tuners (w/OTA) and very stable.

Ok I am confused. After reading this I did a BUNCH of reading on the slingbox and 722K. From What I can tell you could connect a slingbox to the HD output of TV1 on the 722 and connect a slingcatcher to another HD TV in the house and view the same HD show on two TVs but this configuration does not get two separate HD shows on Two different TVs does it?

Your better off with a Slingbox and a 722 at this point. More flexability, and you can watch using the Slingplayer software. :)

Scott, do you think that when the 922 is in good working shape, you will have the same opinion?

If it is better to have the component layout, 722 + slingbox, what will be the key advantages of the 922?

As I see it the features that would be unique to the 922 would be:

1. New guide interface and search capability.
2. Larger hard drive, but this could be neutralized also by adding EHD to a 722.
3. Internet browser, which you haven't been too keen on up to now.

Any thoughts? Or are you bound to wait until the 922 is actually released?

Thanks.

Yes I would probably still have the same opinion.

An external Slingbox gives you more, and you can move it as you see fit. Plus you can have it hooked to a number of inputs so that you can enjoy more then just Dish from remote.

To answer your questions:
1) Yeah its nice on the 922, but with dish.sling.com you can do the same thing with any Slingbox.

2) Its a 1TB drive, but have is partitioned for Dish's use for VOD.

3) Havent seen the new browser yet, so can't comment... hope its MUCH better then the old one. :)

I am in sort of the same boat as others here. I actually have a 622 and I am pretty sure I am eligible for an upgrade. It sounds like right now the best choice would be to bump up to a 722k and get a separate Slingbox. Is the Slingbox Pro-HD essentially the best choice?

I would go with the 722k receiver now but Wait till the new sling equipment for existing Dish vrs comes online and you can do what the 922 can do. It will allow you to use a tv everywhere adapter for sling and using an hd media extender you can receiver the hd picture on another hd tv using Tv 2 ouput. Read my other thread about it.

If you had two 722's that were both connected to sling box's or the new usb sling box they showed at CES would a person be able to watch recorded programs from one DVR on the second one?

When the Sling Receiver 300 is available, do we think it will be possible to have two of them on two additional HDTVs? My dream would be to have the 922 connected to my main TV, and two 300s connected to my other two HDTVs. I'm cool with only being able watch the same thing on all three TVs (at the same time), but it would be great if we could watch what's on the other tuner of the 922 in another room, in HD, of course.

So, will two 300s in the same house be able to simultaneously connect to a 922, and will we be able to view one of the other tuners on the 300 while the main TV connected to the 922 is displaying a different tuner?

Just talked to my local dealer that is letting me test the 922 and he doesn't want it back. I guess I don't have to decide if I'm going to purchase one or not!:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)