Should roll out of HD locals go in numerical order by DMA?

HD should go in numerical order by DMA for availability

• Total voters
Status
Please reply by conversation.
No, because there are other factors in play that DBS can't control, so why hold up lowers if some uppers have parent companies that can't get it together or want to hold everyone hostage. I too feel sorry for ones skipped, but get someone to "lean on" the company(ies) that are holding out.

Not going in order based on population and potential customer additions is going to hurt DirecTV eventually, especially since the lower the DMA the higher the potential of customers. This is why DirecTV wants to offer HD/SD locals in as many markets as possible and has promised to be the leader. Many customers will not sign up if they cant get locals in HD knowing that the HR20 has been discontinued. It's up in the air when the HR21 will have a solution for OTA. Majority should be the interest but we will just have to see, I think it may hurt DirecTV by not going by the number of customers they can get by market.

I think my market (Toledo, Ohio) is being held out because I have other cities that are already on in the area. Detroit, Cleveland, Columbus.
So I think that is why we are not getting turned on, also a logical reason that when I started this HD adventure that I decided to go with OTA antenna in the beginning and still to this day use it daily.

Yes, I think they should go in the numerical order, unless there is a spacific reason to add a different city ahead of them.

Jimbo

charper1 is right there are too many factors to add in.

Ok you have number x DMA that has 2 stations owned by LIN or some other likely hold out, so 2 nets are out... then there is z that will provide all of the nets with a smaller population, but more viewers... which would you uplink?

Then perhaps there should be no DMA at all then? That way no issues will be thought about, no customer will be upset. Eliminate the rating all together.

Don't get me fired up on the whole DMA things again; this old and outdated scheme SHOULD die already to me too.

I think they should go in order when possible. I just can't understand what the hold up would be from turning on at least the 2 Sinclair owned stations in my area since they already have a blanket agreement with them. My DMA is #65, (used to be #64)

They should go in order. Norfolk Va (DMA 42) is still on hold because of some LIN owned stations.
The OTA option is very bad in the Hampton area. I really hate moving down to Norfolk from Wash DC due to this very reason. I gotta find a way to watch the BCS championship game in HD soon.

I think it is a lot more complicated, in that a lower DMA # may not be ready with their channels, while a higher DMA is.

I think the Alaska example is a good one; high DMA, but far less choices for folks up in the great north. Thus, more of an incentive for a sat provider to provide good service.

I don't think matters whether it is Dish or DirecTV.

All the channels in my area have been HD for quite some time now.

There is another issue -- agreements between the stations and the sat providers. I know that dfergie can't get Albuquerque's CBS in HD, because of the jerk who owns the station.

I think my market (Toledo, Ohio) is being held out because I have other cities that are already on in the area. Detroit, Cleveland, Columbus.
So I think that is why we are not getting turned on, also a logical reason that when I started this HD adventure that I decided to go with OTA antenna in the beginning and still to this day use it daily.

Yes, I think they should go in the numerical order, unless there is a spacific reason to add a different city ahead of them.

Jimbo
Sorry Jimbo...
My locals in HD on the bird is the EXACT reason I dumped E* for D*. Cincinnati is about mid 30s and E* had "no plans" to put the locals in HD on their lineup. I was having continuous problems with our ABC affiliate's signal OTA (idiots went with channel 10 VHF signal that is hard to get) so...
Of course there are other very good reasons to go to D* too. But I sure wish their remotes didn't suck so bad on RF!!!!! (anyone at D* listening????) My wife is beating the crap out of me over that.:eek:

I think the role out should go by number of customers in that city. Largest first .I live in a small city,but fair is fair. I just don't think this process should take years to happen. I think its milked IMHO.

Sorry Jimbo...
My locals in HD on the bird is the EXACT reason I dumped E* for D*. Cincinnati is about mid 30s and E* had "no plans" to put the locals in HD on their lineup. I was having continuous problems with our ABC affiliate's signal OTA (idiots went with channel 10 VHF signal that is hard to get) so...
Of course there are other very good reasons to go to D* too. But I sure wish their remotes didn't suck so bad on RF!!!!! (anyone at D* listening????) My wife is beating the crap out of me over that.:eek:

Wow,
I've never had a problem with D*'s RF remote.

jimbo

I think the role out should go by number of customers in that city. Largest first .I live in a small city,but fair is fair. I just don't think this process should take years to happen. I think its milked IMHO.
Hang in there Hemi, once the other new sat gets up and operational, they will have no reason not to add the other cities.

Jimbo

Not going in order based on population and potential customer additions is going to hurt DirecTV eventually, especially since the lower the DMA the higher the potential of customers. This is why DirecTV wants to offer HD/SD locals in as many markets as possible and has promised to be the leader. Many customers will not sign up if they cant get locals in HD knowing that the HR20 has been discontinued. It's up in the air when the HR21 will have a solution for OTA. Majority should be the interest but we will just have to see, I think it may hurt DirecTV by not going by the number of customers they can get by market.

The HR20-700 has been discontinued. The HR20-100 has not.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts