Shows recording that are not new w/full guide info

SarKen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 3, 2006
MA
This happens every once in awhile, but the past week or so it has happened a lot. For example right now my local Fox (WNAC) is recordingFamily Guy, but the show data is episode 37 with an original air date of 8-29-01. And American Chopper: Senior vs. Junior with guide data of episode 29 and original air date of 9-19-11. All my timers with this problem are set for new shows.

In the past week (I deleted the shows and can not give guide info) Ghost Hunters, MythBusters, Burn Notice, Sanctuary and a few others I can not recall that had full guide data (episode# and original air date) were recorded.

For future timers I see MythBusters set to record for 10-16 (ep302 oad 10-15-11) This ep has already recorded twice. Ghost Adventurers set to record 10-17 (ep4 oad 10-31-08), Louie set to record 10-17 (ep15 oar 9-7-10), Destination Truth set to record 10-17 (ep42 oar 10-28-10) and three other for the same day, Doctor Who set to record on 10-17 (ep 83 oad 6-5-10), America Pickers set to record 10-17 (ep24 oad 10-4-10).

I can go on with more, but I think this is a good sample.

This in on my 612 with L642.

Anyone else have this problem?? And if this a know issue that I could not find please let me know and delete/merge my post.

Ken

I have this same exact problem w/ my 722k (and my last 2 replacements), but it primarily happens with The Simpsons on mine.

Comes from Tribune media not updating their listings. Not a Dish problem.

Comes from Tribune media not updating their listings. Not a Dish problem.

But from what the OP says, it looks like the listings are accurate ("show data is episode 37 with an original air date of 8-29-01", "guide data of episode 29 and original air date of 9-19-11"), and it still records the episodes as new.

Like you said, usually the episodes will be flagged as "new" when the guide data is missing...but in this case it doesn't appear that way.

The data that the DVR uses to determine new is NOT visible to the user. That is where the data is missing/incorrect causing it to record old show as new.

The data that the DVR uses to determine new is NOT visible to the user. That is where the data is missing/incorrect causing it to record old show as new.
That's good to know. My experience has been that every time that an old show is recorded as new, there has been something missing/incorrect in the listing visible to the user as well.

So if it is Tribune problem then it is a Dish problem because Dish is using Tribune.

I just set a Dr. Who Dish Pass just like the OP example, new episodes only. The listing for 10/17 shows in my timer listing as Event skipped/Not a new episode (as do all the rest of them).

I'm using a ViP722 on the Eastern arc.

I just set a Dr. Who Dish Pass just like the OP example, new episodes only. The listing for 10/17 shows in my timer listing as Event skipped/Not a new episode (as do all the rest of them).

I'm using a ViP722 on the Eastern arc.

So I guess it is just something with my 612 not the guide data....

I have skipped all the recordings that are not new for the week. When I see the next one I will try deleting the timer.

This might also be related to my issue. I have had this problem for a long time with my 612 and also my replacements. I know a few others have had the same issue. As you can see from the image some timers try to record on tuner one at the same time. Dealing with this for a long time I have found out if I add a timer and there is a conflict everything is ok for the week when the timer was added. But, weeks after if there is a conflict the timers try to record on the same timer.

dish.jpg

I get this every now and then with The Simpsons on WFXT, just north of the boarder from you. Every time it does it, the info is generic. It gives a synopsis of the series instead of the episode.

Also, two weeks ago I had the 722k set for the Big Bang Theory on my local CBS (WBZ 4). When I went to watch it, I got Charlie's Angels from my local ABC (WCVB 5). Only time it happened, and the info was for WBZ not WCVB. So DVR glitches are common. I would delete the timer and program it again.

To the OP. Press your DVR button 3 times to bring up your list of timers. Arrow over to the list and go down to episode 302. What does it say on top of the list. I have my 722 to record only new episodes of MB. Mine is set to skip it as not a new episode.

To the OP. Press your DVR button 3 times to bring up your list of timers. Arrow over to the list and go down to episode 302. What does it say on top of the list. I have my 722 to record only new episodes of MB. Mine is set to skip it as not a new episode.

It did say skipped by user. I deleted my MB timer and added it back. That seemed to fix the problem.

I have this problem as well- shows recording when they are not supposed to or not recoridng when they are supposed to. Sometimes the guide data is correct, other times it is not (from what I can see.) I got a repalcement a few weeks ago - I seem to have the problem less - but I am not convinced it has anything to do with my receiver. I have called DISH numerous time on this - and was told that there was a software problem - and they were "working on it." I can't rely on my timers to fire off when they are supposed to...so I go through my recordings for the day and make sure everything is going to record like they are supposed to. The ones I find that are not going to record that are supposed to can be fixed by erasing the timer and creating it again. This is becoming a total pain...I can't think of ONE FUNCTION that I depend on my DVR to do than to record the shows that I program it to.

If this is a TRIBUNE problem that Dish is getting their feed from - and that the invisible data that is set incorrectly as to whether a show is NEW or NOT - then that would indicate that this problem affects EVERYONE right? This problem started happeing for me around May 2011 - and I have gone through 3 different 722 DVRs since then...

I think at one time I was advised of just setting a WEEKLY timer for my new shows instead of NEW EPISODES...however, that seems like a band aid fix since programs do get moved around to differnet time slots, etc...

Chris

Try setting Daily timer for the show you want and it will record at least once a day for that show on that station you set it for. Not perfect, but the only other answer is weekly timer. There just some stations I can not depend on the dvr to record the shows . Namely Comedy Central and the John Stewart show or the other show the Colburn show. I get either one or a ton of the reruns , if I set new episodes. I don't even try to watch those shows any longer using the dvrs due to this problem. I don't see why DISH doesn't just use TV guide settings. They worked a deal years ago to settle a lawsuit with them and it looks like all we got was the TV guide symbol in our guides.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)