Showtime Channel 71, 537, 543. Why 3 of the same channel??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

tigerfan33

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 12, 2007
Alabama
I noticed that channel 71, 537 and 543 are the same Showtime hd channel. Why 3 of the same?? I understand 2 (mapped down) but not three. Is 537 or 543 MPEG4??

Channel 71 was mapped from 543 so that it would be in the same channel range with the other premium HD channels. Then MPEG4 came along, thus channel 537. Once MPEG2 HD is phased out, 71 and 543 will most likely go away.

Don't take this as gospel, just my take on it.

As JD was saying above; Some people have MPEG2 only setups so the older MPEG2 channels remain. They are not harming anything or stealing bandwidth.

The way their system works they could assign 100 channel numbers(or every channel number available for that matter) to a single feed using a single feed. That's why for promotional purposes they have multiple feeds of The 101.

Its still only using 1 channel of bandwidth to broadcast. Its only the "mapping" of channels in your receiver that make it appear at more than 1 location.

DirecTV has begun to eliminate some of the duplicate virtual channels... 543 is gone (as is 509 for HBO-HD).

Channel 71 was mapped from 543 so that it would be in the same channel range with the other premium HD channels. Then MPEG4 came along, thus channel 537. Once MPEG2 HD is phased out, 71 and 543 will most likely go away.

Don't take this as gospel, just my take on it.

I guess I still don't understand why they even need to mapdown. Just move the channel to the new location or does it have something to do with mpeg2 receivers not being able to see the new channel number?

It's just for convience of people that used to use a certain spot. Originally all the HD was in the 70's.

They did just eliminate one of the 500 channel numbers for HBO & SHO, so instead of 3 for each there are now just 2.

I guess I still don't understand why they even need to mapdown. Just move the channel to the new location or does it have something to do with mpeg2 receivers not being able to see the new channel number?

Some receivers capable of seeing the MPEG2 HD feed cannot map numbers over top of one another. This means that they cannot see an SD 537 and an HD 537. Because of this, the channel has to be mapped to a different number for them. 71 is fulfilling that need.

I believe this is a move to make the 70-79 range specifically legacy support and cleaning up the channels 100+. When they started, the HD and SD channel were not simulcast and did have different programming at times. That situation has gone away for Showtime and HBO. This means that the only reason to map these channels is in support of legacy equipment.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)