Showtime for $1.99 a month

N6BY

Geek
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 1, 2006
Roseville, CA 121W
I got an email offer today from Dish Network for 4 months of ShowTime for $1.99 per month. There are 10 channels total so I signed up for it.

If I continue it past 4 months it will revert to its regular price. Or I can go online and cancel it anytime before the 4 months are over. Very easy.

I don't understand why it has gotten so cheap? I used to get premium channel offers from Dish for $4.99 for at most 3 months.

I wonder if they monitor my viewing habits and noticed that I have been watching Dish for only about 1-2 hours a week lately. I am extremely close to dropping it entirely and paying the ETF. This ShowTime offer might keep me around a little longer.

Did anyone else get this offer?

Showtime is competing with all the streaming services out there, it is very competitive and they're all offering special introductory offers.

Reactions: N6BY
The selection of streaming services is definitely growing quickly. It is one of the main reasons I now spend so little time on Dish Network. I have Paramount+, Amazon Prime, Netflix, and (of course) free YouTube and Pluto TV.

I am curious if anyone else here got the same Showtime offer for $1.99 ?

The selection of streaming services is definitely growing quickly. It is one of the main reasons I now spend so little time on Dish Network. I have Paramount+, Amazon Prime, Netflix, and (of course) free YouTube and Pluto TV.

I got a phone call from Dish with the offer.

I got the email offer and ignored it. Showtime rarely has anything I want to watch. I also have Prime, Paramount+, Netflix and Apple TV. Netflix and Apple TV are free for one year via a T-Mobile special.

I got the email offer and ignored it. Showtime rarely has anything I want to watch. I also have Prime, Paramount+, Netflix and Apple TV. Netflix and Apple TV are free for one year via a T-Mobile special.
I have it as part of my yearly Paramount+ plan, it is only $30 more, so I said why not, that was 3 months ago, have yet to watch it.

There are shows on there I would like to try, but there is so much out there now, I also put a priority to watch 4K content before anything else and Showtime‘s app is only 1080P.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I got an email offer today from Dish Network for 4 months of ShowTime for $1.99 per month. There are 10 channels total so I signed up for it.

If I continue it past 4 months it will revert to its regular price. Or I can go online and cancel it anytime before the 4 months are over. Very easy.

I don't understand why it has gotten so cheap? I used to get premium channel offers from Dish for $4.99 for at most 3 months.

I wonder if they monitor my viewing habits and noticed that I have been watching Dish for only about 1-2 hours a week lately. I am extremely close to dropping it entirely and paying the ETF. This ShowTime offer might keep me around a little longer.

Did anyone else get this offer?
Thanks for posting this. After seeing this I was able to get it for $1.99 too through dish chat. In contrast both of my Dish receivers are on in my house all day, LOL.

I have it as part of my yearly Paramount+ plan, it is only $30 more, so I said why not, that was 3 months ago, have yet to watch it.

There are shows on there I would like to try, but there is so much out there now, I also put a priority to watch 4K content before anything else and Showtime‘s app is only 1080P.
I am not seeing much on there I want to watch either right now. But if its just 2 movies a month its worth it (to me at least).

Also I'm wondering how many of the movies on Showtime are also on my streaming services.

Reactions: SandFarmer
I’ve been a Showtime subscriber for over 20 years. At first it was for the movies, but now it’s for the original programming. Their movie selection was much better before CBS/Viacom split (and re-merger in 2019) when they had first run rights to Paramount and MGM. Epix was basically the old Showtime for a while as far as movies go.

In my opinion Showtime has had the best original series on TV over the past decade. Homeland, Ray Donovan, Shameless, The Affair, Masters of Sex, Penny Dreadful, Roadies, American Rust, On Becoming a God in Central Florida, House of Lies, Californication. Plus, the current series of Billions, City on a Hill and Yellowjackets. Super Pumped is a dramatized biographical anthology series, first season was on Uber, second season will be on Facebook. Two companies I cannot stand, so anything that sheds light on what a POS those companies and with their psycho founders is automatically a winner in my book. I’ve been meaning to watch Dexter one of these days and I’m looking forward to Ripley, a TV series based on The Talented Mr. Ripley book/movie due out next year. To this day, the first season of Homeland remains some of the best and most edge of your seat TV I have ever seen.

For a period of time in the the the mid 2010s, I went something like three years recording Showtime nearly every Sunday from 9-11.

I haven't as yet.

I’ve been a Showtime subscriber for over 20 years. At first it was for the movies, but now it’s for the original programming. Their movie selection was much better before CBS/Viacom split (and re-merger in 2019) when they had first run rights to Paramount and MGM. Epix was basically the old Showtime for a while as far as movies go.

In my opinion Showtime has had the best original series on TV over the past decade. Homeland, Ray Donovan, Shameless, The Affair, Masters of Sex, Penny Dreadful, Roadies, American Rust, On Becoming a God in Central Florida, House of Lies, Californication. Plus, the current series of Billions, City on a Hill and Yellowjackets. Super Pumped is a dramatized biographical anthology series, first season was on Uber, second season will be on Facebook. Two companies I cannot stand, so anything that sheds light on what a POS those companies and with their psycho founders is automatically a winner in my book. I’ve been meaning to watch Dexter one of these days and I’m looking forward to Ripley, a TV series based on The Talented Mr. Ripley book/movie due out next year. To this day, the first season of Homeland remains some of the best and most edge of your seat TV I have ever seen.

For a period of time in the the the mid 2010s, I went something like three years recording Showtime nearly every Sunday from 9-11.
All of the services were better sharing content. But with all of the new streaming services, even channels like TCM does not carry the movies they used to.

I just got a call, of which I questioned since "d¡sh never calls" and was told that there is a new department that reaches out to "Customers Like Me" that are eligible for an offer like this. "Pre-Retention"? The young lady on the phone was a Latina and spoke perfectly clear English. BUT my offer was $1.99 for the Top Tier, that we had but got rid of because service was getting way too expensive and they wouldn't really work with me, All of Showtimes Channels, I wonder how Streaming Showtime differs, and ON Demand and Locals for 4 Months. Then it goes to $10 a month, no commitment, till the end of time, with our two H3s the total monthly will be $25. Right now we are at $123 and creeping up with Locals and no add-ons. We went down to the second to the top tier as an only way to save money. Now we're back up to the top, plus! for an amazing price.

I said this was too good to be true and asked if there was anyway to confirm the deal. She said that it'd show up on the bill all listed out with the offer details as we discussed. I asked, "So after the Promo Period was over my bill wouldn't jump to a billion dollars?". She said no, just the $10 package price after the 4 months of $1.99 plus our H3s fees, $25 total. Forgot to ask if there were fees with the $1.99?

One thing that really kinda sold me was that she said she did not need any personal info, she already had it in the account. I asked her certain questions that only a d¡sh rep would know the way d¡sh does things and things in my account. Couldn't trip her up. She said the new service should be up in 5 minutes. It's up in less than 5 minutes and there's more there than she described. But out of the 9 Showtime Channels, 4 are SD. Clear and in 16:9 or 1.78:1, but lots of black space around it. So as I kept saying, "We'll see what happens". She said that I could always call and talk to d¡sh about it if I wasn't happy. About time I got a great deal from them. They must be hurtin'? or I could be . . .

So we'll see . . . .

UPDATE:
Looks like part of it was legit from the legitimate eMail I just got. Just need to find out if it all falls into place . . . or just falls. Now that it's in the machinery I trust it will be complete in the account.

NOPE!!!
I just looked at our account and found this . . .

DishBill081422.jpg

So where's my:
$ 1.99 Showtime Special Offer and d¡sh Services + Locals​
$15.00 Equipment Fees​
then after 4 months:
$10.00 Showtime Special Offer and d¡sh Services + Locals​
$15.00 Equipment Fees​
and I repeated this back to the Rep where she confirmed it. Do they record these calls?

So what's the new phone numbers for CEO and Retention? or d¡sh_Support could chime in here!

Last edited:
I just got a call, of which I questioned since "d¡sh never calls" and was told that there is a new department that reaches out to "Customers Like Me" that are eligible for an offer like this. "Pre-Retention"? The young lady on the phone was a Latina and spoke perfectly clear English. BUT my offer was $1.99 for the Top Tier, that we had but got rid of because service was getting way too expensive and they wouldn't really work with me, All of Showtimes Channels, I wonder how Streaming Showtime differs, and ON Demand and Locals for 4 Months. Then it goes to $10 a month, no commitment, till the end of time, with our two H3s the total monthly will be $25. Right now we are at $123 and creeping up with Locals and no add-ons. We went down to the second to the top tier as an only way to save money. Now we're back up to the top, plus! for an amazing price.

I said this was too good to be true and asked if there was anyway to confirm the deal. She said that it'd show up on the bill all listed out with the offer details as we discussed. I asked, "So after the Promo Period was over my bill wouldn't jump to a billion dollars?". She said no, just the $10 package price after the 4 months of $1.99 plus our H3s fees, $25 total. Forgot to ask if there were fees with the $1.99?

One thing that really kinda sold me was that she said she did not need any personal info, she already had it in the account. I asked her certain questions that only a d¡sh rep would know the way d¡sh does things and things in my account. Couldn't trip her up. She said the new service should be up in 5 minutes. It's up in less than 5 minutes and there's more there than she described. But out of the 9 Showtime Channels, 4 are SD. Clear and in 16:9 or 1.78:1, but lots of black space around it. So as I kept saying, "We'll see what happens". She said that I could always call and talk to d¡sh about it if I wasn't happy. About time I got a great deal from them. They must be hurtin'? or I could be . . .

So we'll see . . . .
It's interesting that there is now a "Pre-Retention" dept. at Dish. Sounds like a good idea to contact customers who may be on the fence. Why wait till they call to cancel? I would like to know if my Dish Network viewing habits lately (only 1-2 hours per week) triggered a warning in their system? My Hopper Duo is always connected to the internet -- so they can easily monitor my viewing time (or lack thereof).

It's too bad that Dish lacks the bandwidth to provide all of Showtime in HD. Would be nice to have a few UHD channels too. My Paramount+ and Amazon Prime have UHD. But Netflix wants $4.50 a month more for UHD, which would not be worth it for me.

Like I said earlier, I was shocked to see the $1.99 price for 4 months offer. Now if I could just keep the Showtime and drop AT120 without paying 21 months of the ETF that would be great! :)

Last edited:
How do you tell if a Prime movie is in UHD? All the newer movies are listed as UHD, but that does not mean it is streamed in UHD.

Last edited:
Months ago I purchased at a teaser price Paramount + and another streaming service through Amazon Prime and only found out later that though it showed up in the H3 Prime app it would not play. Canceled the next day.

So we'll see . . . .

UPDATE:
Looks like part of it was legit from the legitimate eMail I just got. Just need to find out if it all falls into place . . . or just falls. Now that it's in the machinery I trust it will be complete in the account.

NOPE!!!
I just looked at our account and found this . . .

View attachment 157992

So where's my:
$ 1.99 Showtime Special Offer and d¡sh Services + Locals​
$15.00 Equipment Fees​
then after 4 months:
$10.00 Showtime Special Offer and d¡sh Services + Locals​
$15.00 Equipment Fees​
and I repeated this back to the Rep where she confirmed it. Do they record these calls?

So what's the new phone numbers for CEO and Retention? or d¡sh_Support could chime in here!

It sounds like you misunderstood. It’s 1.99/mo for 4 months plus your normal $25 equipment fees which I see in your screenshot. After 4 mos it increases to the regular $10/mo fee plus equipment fee $25. If you remove that comma in what you wrote it makes sense and is correct. This promo has nothing to do with a cost savings on your equipment. If you thought that was the case you should just call Dish and explain all this and ask them to remove the Showtime special offer. (Usually a $5 fee though if you remove it before 30 days so be prepared for that).

It sounds like you misunderstood. It’s 1.99/mo for 4 months plus your normal $25 equipment fees which I see in your screenshot. After 4 mos it increases to the regular $10/mo fee plus equipment fee $25. If you remove that comma in what you wrote it makes sense and is correct. This promo has nothing to do with a cost savings on your equipment. If you thought that was the case you should just call Dish and explain all this and ask them to remove the Showtime special offer. (Usually a $5 fee though if you remove it before 30 days so be prepared for that).
Oh No! I didn't misunderstand anything. This being the first exposure to this promo I had, there was nothing I could compare it too. So when she made a big deal how special it was and only for "Customers that have been with d¡sh as long as I have" . . .

I made her repeat it several times and I repeated back to her. I remarked that it was a hell of a deal. And kept asking if she was sure that was what it's going to be . . . "For Real". She kept saying yes. I always said it was $10 for programming including upping to the Top Tier and Showtime. And she also said that my Equipment would become $15 a month, for a total of $25 per month. Too many variables these days. I thought who knows? That's why I came here right after to check. I know of this promo as it's turning out and would have never had done it. I already subscribe to Showtime Streaming through Hulu at a better package rate.

I've been dealing with these guys since '95. I use to meet up with some of the DIRTeam for drinks awhile back. I did work for Charlie when he was selling C-Band dishes long before d¡sh. I know what I was "Led to Believe".

I'll give Retention a call later today.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)