Showtime on the way out?

This is already looking like a nasty dispute with CBS, AH is the culprit since the Big 4 Networks try to shut it down
But it's not like they can't negotiate the same way like Disney/ABC with the 3 days

But it could be different with CBS, since they definitely don't want AH during football season much less their TV series
I'm not sure why since it takes 1 day for AH to kick in, or is it live?

Sure they'll be back, but at what price. Personally I think all the premiums are well overpriced as it is. In the current price of SHO, which is identical to the current price at D*, we should already have all those other SHO channels in HD and have had access to Showtime Anytime.

This year we got an increase around the 1st of the year, then later the premiums all got price increases. That's 2 increases within the year and of course, next year we'll get another 'annual' increase around the 1st of the year.

IF they negotiate a contract with SHO/CBS/Turner that comes in at a higher price, then our costs go up. How much more 'up' does it have to go before we decide it isn't worth it?

They would have had a price increase anyway, always do. All of them, Dish, CBS, and Turner are out for nothing but to price gouge.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
TBH Id really love to go back and watch the few seasons of Dexter i missed On ShowtimeAnytime... HBO is what $19 by itself and Sho is $15? Id be willing to shell out a few bucks to access ShowtimeAnytime just like HBOGO but the point of when is TV TOO much is approaching rapidly.

Showtime is a perfect example of extortion on a grand scale by media owner conglomerates. 16 O&O local CBS stations have a contract dispute, but since Showtime is also owned by CBS, they hang the anvil over everyone's head with the threat of losing Showtime as well.

I would think that the premium channels, like HBo /Showtime/Starz/Cinemax, would already be seeing a drop off of subs due to the previous extortion/ price hikes . Do they think that going up again on Showtime is going to earn them more subs ? I mean how many Free for 3 months promos and 1/2 price promos are they going to continue to run ,just to be able to count those subs in their total subscriber numbers? Without those promos I am betting that their total sub numbers would be dropping each month. Couldn't that be used against them in negotiations to show their premium content isn't pulling in the numbers like it used to? OR maybe the total subscriber numbers are so skewed, due to this practice that they can't really know how many real subscriber number they have.

And people getting freebies bothers you how? Are you a BIG shareholder in DISH or SATS? I bet you probably refused to take your introductory discounts when you were a new subscriber, I would hate to know that I caused Charlie to have to pick the cheaper can of caviar. FWIW, I have a few shares of DISH, and they have been holding up quite well in spite of the discounts that they hand out.

Yeah it bothers me... no I'm not a BIG shareholder. Do you call the gas company when it gets too cold and you think the gas should be making higher heat?? Do you call the electric company if the power goes out cause the power cable in YOUR home was cut by you much like how someone calls Dish to complain to get a tech out to fix a line they would cut to their TV. I didn't get any intro discounts cause I signed up with full costs out of pocket for all equipment and the install myself back in 1999 just FYI.

As a longtime pay tv customer,I'm just about fed up.This is as close as I have ever been to just saying to heck with it all.I believe it would be a good thing if nearly all major channels on all major providers got dropped.It would certainly get the attention of all customers and the government.I normally don't like government intervention,but something has got to be done.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

As a longtime pay tv customer,I'm just about fed up.This is as close as I have ever been to just saying to heck with it all.I believe it would be a good thing if nearly all major channels on all major providers got dropped.It would certainly get the attention of all customers and the government.I normally don't like government intervention,but something has got to be done.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!
This is what deregulation is all about. Those that push it so hard don't realize that without a little government regulation the companies get greedy and keep asking for more and more. The consumer is the one that always gets screwed in deregulation. Unrelated: THANK GOD in my area the electric company is still regulated by the Public Utility Commission or I would really be paying out the butt on my electric bills.

Reactions: bobvick
I fail to see what regulation does here. A lot of the trouble is that sports media companies are paying absurd dollars for exclusive rights to programming and we are paying for it. It isn't like we have a choice. I'm not certain what the Federal Government could do to prevent Disney from spending $42 trillion on Monday Night Football.

OTA channels are a different story and that can be regulated a bit easier, telling the providers and channel owners to fix it or we will fix it and you won't like it because Government rarely gets anything right. ;)

Then you have the general interest channels producing more original content (though the cost is probably exaggerated), and that leads to higher prices too.

Yeah it bothers me... no I'm not a BIG shareholder. Do you call the gas company when it gets too cold and you think the gas should be making higher heat?? Do you call the electric company if the power goes out cause the power cable in YOUR home was cut by you much like how someone calls Dish to complain to get a tech out to fix a line they would cut to their TV. I didn't get any intro discounts cause I signed up with full costs out of pocket for all equipment and the install myself back in 1999 just FYI.
Actually if the power cable did get cut to my home if it were buried (which it is not) or if it got knocked down by something my Electric Coop would come and fix it in the interest of safety. Just saying.

I fail to see what regulation does here. A lot of the trouble is that sports media companies are paying absurd dollars for exclusive rights to programming and we are paying for it. It isn't like we have a choice. I'm not certain what the Federal Government could do to prevent Disney from spending $42 trillion on Monday Night Football.
The fact that Disney is a "sports media company" is the issue. It's also a Kids Programming company, and a major national broadcast network owner (ABC), and a movie production company. Telecom de-regulation occurred in 1996 which created the albatross in the room.

Reactions: TheKrell
If Showtime goes then that will be the deal breaker for me, I'll just cancel Dish and start going towards IPTV. Actually I'll stay if Dish seriously discounts my AEP package.
That would almost be fraud if Showtime and TMC are gone and Dish still charges $126 for AEP.

As a White Person I would go totally irate if they drop my show "Homeland" on Showtime...

Since the AEP is just the Top 250 with the premium movie channels bundled in they won't keep your price the same. It's not like other packages where the price stays the same even if a channel is dropped. Your bill would drop accordingly to what ever the Top 250 plus the 3 premiums bundled price.

I like the comment made in another post about Disney paying $42 Trillion. That's hillarious. But I think the best way to settle all these carriage deal is change all programming to Al a Carte. Pick what channels you want and if say CNN wants more $$$, then Dish just charges you more for it and if more people drop it due to high cost of channel, then the channel is losing money. The whole industry needs to change and I think in the future this may happen with IP tv.

I like the comment made in another post about Disney paying $42 Trillion. That's hillarious. But I think the best way to settle all these carriage deal is change all programming to Al a Carte. Pick what channels you want and if say CNN wants more $$$, then Dish just charges you more for it and if more people drop it due to high cost of channel, then the channel is losing money. The whole industry needs to change and I think in the future this may happen with IP tv.
And the reason why your wish will not come true, again, is the bundling of channels by the content providers. They will not release their product under altercate terms. via cable, satellite OR OTT. In most cases the product lines (channels) have been overly built out and they need the demand of the strong ones to subsidize the existence of the less so. Until they decide to "cut the fat", it's not likely to happen. And think about it, even the weakest of channels, do they seem to be lacking for advertisers (revenue generators)?

Reactions: ChadT41

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)