Showtime-Program Ads During Programs

richiephx

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 1, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
Recently, I have noticed popup ads for upcoming shows during programs on Showtime. Tonite, I was watching Dexter and several popups for Sleeper Cell appeared. This happens on other shows also. I find them annoying and distracting. Sometimes they appear right at a high-point in a show. I thought that premium-pay channels are supposed to be aired WITHOUT interruptions? There is more than enough time in between programs to announce future programming. I have sent several emails to showtime expressing my dissatisfaction, but have not gotten a response from them. Does anyone else feel the same way?

I disabled enhancements and the popups still happen on Showtime. Showtime controls the popups, not E*. Here's a reply I got back from Showtime:

Dear Rich,

Thank you for your comments about the scheduling announcement you saw recently on Showtime during a telecast.

Under special circumstances, we may selectively place a subtle, informational message at the bottom corner of a telecast in order to inform viewers of a significant scheduling development. To date, we have used this tactic to announce the forthcoming season premiere of a Showtime original series, when the series may appeal to many of the viewers of a particular Showtime telecast.

It is our belief that the critically acclaimed mini-series 'Sleeper Cell: American Terror', which returns to Showtime on December 10th, deserves such (careful) treatment. Named one of the AFI's Ten Best Television Programs of 2005 when it premiered last year, Sleeper Cell has been hailed by The New York Times as "Better than 24," and "Unlike any other program that has been produced for American television." While some viewers, such as yourself, have registered their displeasure with such tactics, we are finding that a significant number of subscribers are appreciative when important scheduling information is carefully conveyed in such a manner.

Nevertheless, please note that we take your comments very seriously and have forwarded your concerns to the appropriate people. Thank you for writing to us.

Sincerely,

Showtime Customer Service

To which I replied back:

Thanks for your canned response. While I appreciate your response and desire to inform your customers of prized programming, I still find it disturbing that you insert popups and overlay advertisements during what others might find to be better programming than what you are advertising. I realize that these are small annoyances in the scheme of life, however, I think a premium movie/entertainment channel should give their paying subscribers uninterrupted programming, PERIOD. To me, it is a bit like trying to upsell your clients something that have no opportunites to make further purchases. We are already paying subscribers, and I would imagine that those who appreciate Sleeper Cell, or whatever future program you deem "critically acclaimed", will already know it is returning. Crash won best picture and was critically acclaimed, but I do not recall you running advertisements during programming to advertise it.

I STRONGLY RECOMMEND YOU DISCONTINUE THIS PRACTICE.

I also am in agreement with you. The promos are less than subtle and very annoying to me. It's not something that is appropriate on a premium channel.

"I STRONGLY RECOMMEND YOU DISCONTINUE THIS PRACTICE", huh? I'm sure the folks at Showtime respond really well to thinly veiled threats too........'or what??' would be the answer to this statement.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)