kstuart

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Nov 5, 2006
Northern California
[The launch should be live on both HD-Net Channel 9422 and NASA Channel 213]
Thursday, May 31, 2007

NASA gives go-ahead for June 8 launch

NASA has, as expected, decided to clear shuttle Atlantis for a launch next Friday. Liftoff time will be 7:38 p.m., agency officials said just moments ago at the conclusion of a two-day review by top agency brass at Kennedy Space Center.

"We are extremely confident," shuttle program manager Wayne Hale said of the repairs to the hail-battered external tank.

There were no dissenting opinions during the final poll on whether to launch or not. "It was unanimous," Hale said.

There are minor technical issues to be resolved, but Hale said nothing that would prevent an on-time launch on Friday as planned.

That includes some earlier concerns related to the space shuttle main engines, which caused one engineer to suggest that the Atlantis engines be changed out just in case. In the end, Hale said that everyone was comfortable with the decision to fly.

NASA would try as many as four opportunities in the five day period beginning June 8. If the shuttle has not launched by June 12, NASA would stand down for four days to allow the higher-priority launch of National Reconnaissance Office spacecraft.

That launch, aboard an Atlas 5 rocket, is currently set for June 14. United Launch Alliance has told NASA that the Atlas 5 and its spy satellite payload are on track for launch that day.

NASA's next opportunity to launch the shuttle after that would be June 17.

I was hoping that this would be on one of the days that I was going to be in Savanah but unfortunately its the day Im coming back so chances of seeing it first hand blew away in the dust, I will have to rezide myself to watching it on hd'net while I try out an hd box from charter for the next 30 days for free.

Not sure what you mean... are you referring to the pre-launch coverage ? How soon before the launch day do they start covering ?
Besides daily snippets from the launch site, I recall HDNews having several hours of pre and post launch coverage and commentary - very well done. However, because of HDNet's contract with NASA, their cameras are no longer permitted to be placed at the launch site. They are off-site, but the coverage is still quite good.

HDNet To Provide Live Broadcast Of Space Shuttle Atlantis Launch
HDNET TO PROVIDE LIVE BROADCAST OF SPACE SHUTTLE ATLANTIS LAUNCH

Network to air spectacular high-definition coverage beginning at
6:00 p.m. EDT on Friday, June 8

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

DALLAS (May 31, 2007) HDNet will once again put viewers right on the launch pad with exclusive high-definition coverage of the planned liftoff of Space Shuttle Atlantis, set for 7:34 p.m. EDT on Friday, June 8. The network’s coverage will begin at 6:00 p.m. EDT.

STS-117 will be the 21st U.S. mission to the International Space Station. The flight will deliver and attach the second and third starboard truss segments to the station—the Integrated Truss Structure
S3/S4 and associated set of power-generating solar arrays.

“In continuing our partnership with NASA, HDNet is excited to bring our viewers the latest installment in the history of the Space Shuttle Program,” said Mark Cuban, president and co-founder of HDNet. “Plus, our coverage makes you feel like you’re standing right at the launch pad
- making this historical coverage even more spectacular.”

HDNet World Report Correspondent Greg Dobbs and former shuttle astronaut Charles "Sam" Gemar will again anchor live coverage from the launch site at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida.

HDNet's exclusive HD partnership with NASA allows the network exceptional access to the shuttle and its astronauts, including coverage of the crew’s prelaunch preparations such as the astronauts getting into their vacuum suits, moving into the orbiter and making their final preparations before liftoff.

In addition, HDNet’s coverage will include interviews with the NASA astronauts and shuttle workers. Dobbs will present an in-depth conversation with the STS-117 astronauts as they talk about their families, fears, inspirations, and ambitions. He will also speak with a NASA shuttle engineer who explains just what it took to fix an external fuel tank that initially didn’t look fixable.

For this launch, HDNet will deploy a special CANON DIGISUPER 86II TELE xs (2322mm) lens for a view from the roof of the 525-foot tall Vehicle Assembly Building. This camera will be used extensively for launch and debris analysis, something that NASA will undoubtedly be watching with a close eye.

HD Launch Basket

NASA needs to create the HD launch basket.

The basket is attached to the side of the rocket and the cameraman is sending the picture of whats happening around and below whats happening during the liftoff. In HD of course.

Once about 10,000 feet up, the cameraman, and he has to be a brave man, who is equipped with a parachute jumps off with his HD camera (dam.. we can't waste that).

It would make for some interesting footage.. :D

Now that Dan Rather is on HDNet's payroll, can we lose Jim Dobbs and have an old CBS man do the launch commentary? P-p-p-p-leeeeeease?

Dan might do a good job...but still miss Walter....

Gee, am I showing my age or what? ;)
We both are!:D

(I remember the Mercury launches on the old B/W in the living room. They got me interested in science and aviation at an early age. I can't seem to get my son excited about the shuttle launches, though. Maybe if they were on Cartoon Network...)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)