Signal Attenuation Problem with Mosquitoes

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
With gas going up so fast, I wouldn't be surprised if the city cut back on trucks spraying the streets.
I live out in the country and there are rice fields and catfish ponds around, so you can imagine how bad it gets. So bad I am afraid to open my mouth and breathe. Might suck in some of them...

Yeah, my Son was complaining the other day that he had gotten one in his mouth.

I told him not to worry about swallowing one because the sulpheric acid in there would quickly dissolve it. He got a little pale looking after I said that. :)

Does anyone make those ultrasonic emitters you can plug in to disrupt their nervous system.
I read about those one time. I didn't know if it was snake oil? or gimick?

Standing water in the area??? Try a bit of Kerosene, a few drops will do a puddle. Kills the larva.

I don't know if there is enough kerosene in stock to cover all the standing water there is around these parts. :)

The water has receded considerably from around town, and I did notice that my Insect Stinger was not completely full this morning, so I think their reproduction has slowed somewhat. :eek:

I am surrounded by prime mosquito habitat and have tried every solution on the market including a very expensive "mosquito vac" with Octenal lure.

The hands down winner for long term relief has been a propane fired fogger (electric versions are also available for those with smaller lots.) They cost about $80, and I use about $30 worth of the fogger mix a season to keep a 200 ft. radius around the house virtually mosquito free. I fog every 5 days, give or take. Each treatment takes about 10 minutes.

Fogging is the only thing that has knocked them back and kept them knocked back well enough to make an evening on the patio a sane proposition around here.

While it does a fantastic job on the mosquitoes, and has reduced the biting flies quite a bit, I've noticed no reduction in the number of butterflies, moths, lightning bugs, and other non-bloodsuckers.

Thanks GrumpyGuy.

With the water receding and the places to re-produce rapidly dis-appearing, I saw a little light at the end of the tunnel this morning, and hopefully have gotten to the place where what I have done, and the electric zapper will handle it.

We'll soon know. :)

I am surrounded by prime mosquito habitat and have tried every solution on the market including a very expensive "mosquito vac" with Octenal lure.

The hands down winner for long term relief has been a propane fired fogger (electric versions are also available for those with smaller lots.) They cost about $80, and I use about $30 worth of the fogger mix a season to keep a 200 ft. radius around the house virtually mosquito free. I fog every 5 days, give or take. Each treatment takes about 10 minutes.

Fogging is the only thing that has knocked them back and kept them knocked back well enough to make an evening on the patio a sane proposition around here.

While it does a fantastic job on the mosquitoes, and has reduced the biting flies quite a bit, I've noticed no reduction in the number of butterflies, moths, lightning bugs, and other non-bloodsuckers.

WOW !!
you still have lightning bugs, to cool. this is the first year I have seen one in about ten years around here.

I live in a subdivision near a river and until a few years ago, I lived in a very remote area in the woods next to a lake, about 5 miles from where I currently live. I have heard of spraying for mosquitos in the main part of the county seat, which is about 4 miles from where I live. The one thing I have learned about since moving to this subdivision is, if you are in an apartment complex, (like I am currently), NO BUG ZAPPERS ALLOWED! All we are allowed to have are citronella candles outside on our porches and we have to keep the mosquito repellant and bug spray handy, because the county seat will not spray where I live at. I'm just waiting and watching for somebody in the "hood" to catch West Nile, then they'll probably spray up in here. I'm having trouble too with the mosquitos in a gutter drain pipe near my satellite also, and from what I've been told, the problem will be fixed in a few weeks, with a new gutter.

memories

Yeah, when I was a kid in Garden City , Mich, we'd go to the "Drive In" movie, and jeeps would drive around spewing DDT on the bugs. It sure did work ! Nasty stuff, though ! :)
Hey Brent,
You sure brought me all kind of memories with this post! I remember that Drive End and the one on Ford Road and Beach Daly Rd. The Towne Drive end on Telegraph Rd and W. Chicago. As a kid growing up in Redford Michigan at Joy Rd. and Inkster Rd.

Thanks for the momories.

Tom

:D

Hey Brent,
You sure brought me all kind of memories with this post! I remember that Drive End and the one on Ford Road and Beach Daly Rd. The Towne Drive end on Telegraph Rd and W. Chicago. As a kid growing up in Redford Michigan at Joy Rd. and Inkster Rd.

Thanks for the momories.

Tom

:D
The DriveIN on Ford road was the only one that we went to. We lived on Bock Rd, between Merriman and Venoy . Moved away when I was 10 . :(
Have a lot of fond memories of those early days.
:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)