Signal Distribution Question

cpapjack

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 8, 2006
Getzville, NY
I currently have a 722 and a 322 receiver. There are 2 tv's connected to each of them. My main tv is connected to the HD tuner on the 722 and the tv in the basement is connected to the SD tuner on the 722. The 322 receiver is in the master bedroom with a tv connected to the main tuner and I have a tv in the kitchen which is connected to the second tuner on this receiver. I have 2 dishes/3 LNFB's connected to a DP34 switch.

What I would like to do is this:

get rid of the 322 and feed the tv's in the basement, kitchen and master bedroom from the 2nd tuner on the 722.

If possible, what would be the least expensive way to do this without degrading the pic quality?

You need to split the cable coming from the 722 to go to the three TVs instead of the one it goes to now. A simple splitter will work. There will be some loss of quality if the cable runs are long to the other TVs. To give specifics would require knowing exactly where all cables are currently run. It may or may not be simple to connect the coax cables from the three TVs to the one output from the 722 at a common location. Each of the three TVs would have to watch the same programming, other than OTA, if on at the same time.

I have a similar setup where I simply used the pre-existing cable tv wiring to distribute the tv2 signal off of my 722. It feeds 2 tvs and a video capture card in our pc.:D

You need to split the cable coming from the 722 to go to the three TVs instead of the one it goes to now. A simple splitter will work. There will be some loss of quality if the cable runs are long to the other TVs. To give specifics would require knowing exactly where all cables are currently run. It may or may not be simple to connect the coax cables from the three TVs to the one output from the 722 at a common location. Each of the three TVs would have to watch the same programming, other than OTA, if on at the same time.

Thanks Laddy. I was hoping/figuring it might be this simple, but wasn't sure. So basically, I need to put a splitter on the coax coming out of the TV2 output on the 722?

The longest run from the receiver I think will be less than 50ft. I'm not worried about the 3 tv's having to watch the same channel as all 3 of them will most likely never be on at the same time.

My next question is this. Will all three of those tv's still be able to share the DVR with TV1?

Yep, it's what I call our empty nest setup. Never gonna watch more than 2 tvs at a time now that the kids are grown and moved out.:up

What you hang off of the distribution output doesn't change any of its properties.

You'll need to buy one or more additional RF remocons.

Thanks Laddy. I was hoping/figuring it might be this simple, but wasn't sure. So basically, I need to put a splitter on the coax coming out of the TV2 output on the 722?

The longest run from the receiver I think will be less than 50ft. I'm not worried about the 3 tv's having to watch the same channel as all 3 of them will most likely never be on at the same time.

My next question is this. Will all three of those tv's still be able to share the DVR with TV1?

Yes they all need to be tuned to whatever channel you setup in the 722 TV2 Modulator Setup-- Menu 6 1 5 -- and of course you either need to carry the TV2 remote with you or get additional ones to leave at the other locations. Be sure to select a channel that isn't on one of the OTA frequencies for your area. Each of the three TVs will be identical to what you currently use for your TV2 set now.