Signal gets better when holding coax in hand ???

sanchez

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2004
WV
:confused:
I don't really know where to ask this question so I'm hoping you guys might be able to help me out.

I must first off admit that I had to get rid of my Satelitte because of this damn apartment. I am currently using digital cable. The coax in my walls is RG59 :( There are a few channels I am having trouble with in terms of reception. I get blocking and stuttering. But I notice that when I grasp the RG59 coming into my apartment with my hand the signal clears up. I wish I could rerun all the cable with quad shield RG6, but that is not an option. What is it about my hand that clears up the signal? Could the ground be bad? Or is it grounded at all?

Your hand could be causing the signal to radiate less out of the cable so you get more signal to the set.

Any way I could somehow wrap that portion of the cable with something to simulate my hand? What could I wrap it with?

Are you grabbing the cable near one of the ends or in the middle?
If near one of the ends it is possible that you could have a bad connector so when you flex the cable you create a better contact. If it is in the middle of the cable you could have a bad cable, I would not recommend wrapping it with something, once you determine if it is the cable or the connector just replace it.

If it's happening inside your apartment, replace the cable. If it's outside the apartment call your cable provider and tell them to come out and fix it. Your paying for the service, they should take care of you.

the whole body

If the cable is getting better when you grab it it may be using you as a sort of antenna and would therefore need a replacement for your entire body.

Also, Where did you get the cable? Is it unsheilded?

I notice the same phenomenon when trying to point my antenna on my radio in my office. My building doesn't have the best reception, even with my decent sized window. As soon as I touch the antenna to tune it, the station comes in crystal clear, but when I let go it fuzzes up. Makes for frustrating pointing but eventually I get it right. I guess I could spend some time engineering an insulated antenna adjustment apparatus instead of spending that time posting on here. :)
gater said:
If the cable is getting better when you grab it it may be using you as a sort of antenna and would therefore need a replacement for your entire body.
Your ideas are intriguing and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. I'm about due for a new body. Up all day yesterday on my roof putting up Christmas lights and I'm paying for it today. I hear of some people downtown selling their bodies. Or I could stop in a body shop.

Digital Cable Requires RG-6 in order to work correctly. Call up and demand that they come out and fix it.

Quote{{Digital Cable Requires RG-6 in order to work correctly.}}

This is not totally true, the frequencies are no higher than 870mhz, RG-59 is okay for that. However If you have an excessive run you will have more loss then
RG-6.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts