signal interference

Dishhopper

Original poster
Sep 25, 2012
PA
Hi, new poster here. It was suggested I come here by a dish internet response member on the official dish forum. I will post what I wrote there.

"Hi, I have been a dish customer for a few years now. I have the hopper and two joeys and am very happy with the setup. I upgraded from a vip622 and I think a 612? (single HD DVR Model). So far so good for me.

What I would like is some honest opinions on possible signal issues near major airports. I was going to give a dish gift card to a friend but was concerned about any issues with aircraft or other airport related things. They live just slightly offset from the approach of the main runway. Looking at possible places to put the dish I noted that the flight path is east/west. From friends yard looking to the southwest it appears that the dish would be pointed right toward aircraft passing by. Also, what about radar from airport or the aircraft?

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, nor do I wish to say anything negative about dish. I am very pleased with my service and just want someone that I might share my great experience with will have the same. Anyone here able to give real world info on your situation? Thanks!"

I hope someone can help.

Hi, new poster here. It was suggested I come here by a dish internet response member on the official dish forum. I will post what I wrote there.

"Hi, I have been a dish customer for a few years now. I have the hopper and two joeys and am very happy with the setup. I upgraded from a vip622 and I think a 612? (single HD DVR Model). So far so good for me.

What I would like is some honest opinions on possible signal issues near major airports. I was going to give a dish gift card to a friend but was concerned about any issues with aircraft or other airport related things. They live just slightly offset from the approach of the main runway. Looking at possible places to put the dish I noted that the flight path is east/west. From friends yard looking to the southwest it appears that the dish would be pointed right toward aircraft passing by. Also, what about radar from airport or the aircraft?

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, nor do I wish to say anything negative about dish. I am very pleased with my service and just want someone that I might share my great experience with will have the same. Anyone here able to give real world info on your situation? Thanks!"

I hope someone can help.

What airport is the possible offender? Do you know any of the frequencies used at the airport?

i would assume or rather... hope... that major airlines use different frequencies that wouldn't interfere with DISH or TV signal frequencies, so i doubt that would be a problem. As far as the airplanes, i would say the tech would know if they would interfere. or you can DL a smartphone app to show you where the satellites are and see for yourself. I use satelliteAR app when looking for LOS in my RV cuz it's free, pretty easy to use, and will give you a good idea on your line of sight. once you have the app then search for echostar 110/119/129 i think is what it maybe labeled on the app?

edit: either way i would say it's very unlikely either scenario would cause problems

Aircraft radio communications and navigation systems work on far lower frequencies than Dish (or any other) satellites work on. Not even the airports weather radar comes close.

The only real danger would be if the dish was VERY close to the airport, like other side of the road close. The danger there would be more of the terrestrial signal overwhelming the LNB on the dish.

So, unless your friend has an address like "100 Airport Road", they're 99.9999% good. And even then...

I live less than 20 miles from Newark Liberty (EWR), and planes are never a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Thanks for all the comments! I guess my frequency fears are not an issue then.

What about actual blockage from aircraft. I have downloaded the app that mx023 talked about but I don't live there a friend does so I have not been over to try it out. Problem I saw when I was there was the area where they live is just offset from direct approach path. Airplane traffic is on actual path to runway which runs east/west. Looking from area where dish would be when looking at soutwest sky you are right in flightpath. This is just from naked eye view so not sure it is in direct path but it appears so. This is around three to four miles from end of runway and aircraft are pretty close when passing over the area. When landing from west to east they pass over about every 40 to sixty seconds. When taking off from east headind to the west it is about every 15 to 45 seconds. However, when taking off they are somewhat higher than landing. They of course go by rather quickly but at 15 second intervals my thought is you may get pixilation issues.

Anyhow, any other thoughts are appreciated. In the mean time I will give that app a try when I get a chance to see if they are even in line of sight or it just appears that way. Thanks to all.

As far as terrestrial interference I'd say there is little to no chance of that. First off the dish is a directional antenna, so since it is facing the sky slim to no chance of terrestrial interference.

Think of it this way: The Sun emits far more EMI on just about every frequency that you can think of yet the dish works just fine even when the Sun is nearly directly behind the satellite(s) that the dish is pointed at. There are only two times a year that the Sun causes direct (but brief) interference, which is during the Equinoxes.

As for plane interference, IF there were any, it would not be a frequent (or long) occurrence, except if you were unlucky enough to just so be looking right into a frequent flight path. Keep in mind though, that there is a LOT of sky for the planes to use and that again due to the directional nature of the satellite reception, the dish is pointed is only at a tiny fraction of the entire sky. Even if a plane were to cause interference, considering the size of planes in the sky (most being small unless flying low) and the fact that they are traveling at hundreds of miles per hour, the only disruption in signal would be a "blip."

Sent from my iPhone 4S using SatelliteGuys

Last edited:
an aircraft maybe would lower the signal for very short time frame but because of the width of the signal beam and polarity, i would think that the signal would never be completely lost or cause interference. I could be wrong but seems logical to me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)