Signal issue only on certain channels

stevenl -

and the reason your cable modem just like Khand said is split off is to isolate your line, although the amp will increase the fwd signals it doesnt do the same for the rev. so a 8port amp has 10 DB of loss on the return a 2 way splitter only has 3.5 so putting it on the splitter saves your return path. (upstream)

The 8 port amps we use PCT brand are 4.5, the previous ones we used to use were 4.0. What brand of 8 port amp are you using with a 10db? Our 4 ports only do 8db. Our 1port uses 15db. Now, we switched brands about 4 months ago, but even our old ones were close (within .5 to 1db) of the new.

You misread i was stateing 10db loss on the return path but a 4db gain on the fwd output.. Every amp we use gains 14 DB of signal... Then once you add the splitter ie 4port amp 8 port amp you subtract the loss and thats your "gain" 4 port loses 7 so 14 - 7 = 7db Gain and 8 port is 14 - 10 = 4db of gain... But on the return path the "reverse" is -7db (4port) -10db (8port) with no gain..

and to agree with you khaun the techs, get about 0 info from the CSR. Usally its just a problem code that states the general problem. like Pixleing or Modem or snowy pic or no pic or whatever you get the idea its a code numer like 05 = snowy pics for example. Then from there the tech if he is good would general ask the customer so basic questions like if its 1 tv or all and so on and usally through a few questions can pick up on the problem and begin troubleshooting. checking the points of contact tap - ground block (where drop hits house) and the d-mark (where signal splits) to determine the best fix for the problem.

You misread i was stateing 10db loss on the return path but a 4db gain on the fwd output.. Every amp we use gains 14 DB of signal... Then once you add the splitter ie 4port amp 8 port amp you subtract the loss and thats your "gain" 4 port loses 7 so 14 - 7 = 7db Gain and 8 port is 14 - 10 = 4db of gain... But on the return path the "reverse" is -7db (4port) -10db (8port) with no gain..

Yep, I did misread that. I was thinking output! Well, at least I can admit when I'm wrong. Heh. anyways, this post (amplifiers) sparked a good debate among the techs I work with. Shall we continue this in it's own thread?

Certainly but i think ive already proven the point:) Amplifiers are designed to push the carrier away from the noise at a sacrifice of the distortions (cso,ctb and so on)

:) if you gain as much as you lose (unity gain) then the noise stays away if you amp the signal to little you let the signal fall and get near the noise. if you amp it to much you increase distorations NOT noise! kthx :) go us go us go us:hungry:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts