Signal loss after upgrade

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

brian_tr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 10, 2008
Had my hopper 3 and 4k joey installed a couple of weeks ago. Come home yesterday and had complete signal loss. Unplugged hopper and when came back on I had the blue screen of death. The blue screen ended up being the hopper somehow took out my sat/tv hdmi input on my Oknyo receiver. Plugged straight into tv and got back to the signal loss. Checked all connections. The joey in the bedroom could still see the hopper and dvr programs. Call dish and they said needed to send tech. I needed to call back to schedule appointment. I went out to dish after that and used a stick to tap on dish and switch. When came back in house it was working again. Not sure what to do now?

So had signal loss again. Comes back after a while. Tech came out yesterday and replaced the lnb and some connections. Had complete signal loss again today. They coming back tomorrow. This getting old. It is working again now. The joey can still access the hopper when I have the signal loss. At this point I think they need to replace all the wiring and maybe even the hopper.

Reactions: littlecloud319
Tech replaced the hopper and barrel connectors on the hopper side this time. Hope this does it. Talked to dish to see if they would do anything for all the problems I have been having and best they could do is one time credit of $10.

And here we go again. Loss signal. Went out to dish and moved cable going through dish and came back on. Moved again went out again. Moved again and back on. Damn cable is bad. I had working when called dish. He said since it working right now he could not send anyone out. Told him give me a minute to move cable to get error again he said not to. I could really use a dirt members help.

The image is the cable I pretty sure having problem with. Instead of just cutting the one cable not being used and leaving it hanging there it should of been replace years ago when it went to one cable. With all the signal problems I have had can't believe it was never replaced.

Attachments

• IMG_20170814_174250.jpg
    IMG_20170814_174250.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 250
  • IMG_20170814_174255.jpg
    IMG_20170814_174255.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 224
It has not been used for several years since going to one reciever. The tech just cut it off and left it. It is part of the cable I am having trouble with and going to replace it this weekend. At least now I know how to get my signal back until then.

The first picture reminds me of what I found out when I was messing with my Dish 1000.4 last weekend. Since the dish was installed six years ago, I only had two cables running into the house. On Sunday, when I ran a cable to connect to the third output on the LNB, I was surprised to find that there was already a cable connected to it. I am assuming that it was the cable that was connected to the signal meter when the technician was aiming the dish, and then when he was done, he just shoved the other end of the cable into the arm of the dish so it wouldn't show. The two cables that were actually in use were connected to port 1 and port 3 on the LNB, and the short extra cable was connected to port 2. Since I had plenty of length on the cable that I had just run to reach all the way to the LNB, I unhooked the extra cable and tossed it aside. I just thought it was funny that I had an extra unused RG-6 cable in my installation this entire time and I never knew it.

... I am assuming that it was the cable that was connected to the signal meter when the technician was aiming the dish, and then when he was done, he just shoved the other end of the cable into the arm of the dish so it wouldn't show. ...

That's what they did on mine this last time around. I feel like he didn't peek it very well. He took very little time on it, and now I lose signal every time it rains. Before it was hardly ever, but that was a different arc too. [yes, that last bit is off topic - sorry]

Replaced the cable this morning. It was in bad shape with a bad kink in it but ended up being the connector to the LNB. Used meter and could move it around and would lose connection on the ground side.

In the first picture, you have a cut cable which can cause in-gress as it will act like an antenna. Is that cable needed? If it is, replace it. If not, it should be properly terminated with a terminator.

That cable that is cut will not cause ingress because it is also cut inside the LNB. That is a hybrid solo hub which means it's using a hybrid LNBF which only uses one output port. I would guess at one point there were is a dual cable coming from the dash and whoever installed the hybrid system just use one of the dual cables to go from the new LNBF of to the solo hub.

It's my guess that the problems you are having is due to poor installation by a poor technician who did not sweep the entire system to make sure that all connectors and all cabling is up to spec. I also have to say that beating the LNBF with a broom probably damaged it

Reactions: Almighty1
The first picture reminds me of what I found out when I was messing with my Dish 1000.4 last weekend. Since the dish was installed six years ago, I only had two cables running into the house. On Sunday, when I ran a cable to connect to the third output on the LNB, I was surprised to find that there was already a cable connected to it. I am assuming that it was the cable that was connected to the signal meter when the technician was aiming the dish, and then when he was done, he just shoved the other end of the cable into the arm of the dish so it wouldn't show. The two cables that were actually in use were connected to port 1 and port 3 on the LNB, and the short extra cable was connected to port 2. Since I had plenty of length on the cable that I had just run to reach all the way to the LNB, I unhooked the extra cable and tossed it aside. I just thought it was funny that I had an extra unused RG-6 cable in my installation this entire time and I never knew it.

That is exactly what that extra cable is for and fortunately on a .2 LNBF, Those ports are self terminated when not in use

This was on a .4 LNBF. Is it done the same way as a .2?

Yes. The only difference is that most of us use port three for the jumper. I'm not sure why that guy used port 2. Not like it matters because both have internal switches that work like the outputs on a 44 switch

Reactions: pattykay
That cable that is cut will not cause ingress because it is also cut inside the LNB. That is a hybrid solo hub which means it's using a hybrid LNBF which only uses one output port. I would guess at one point there were is a dual cable coming from the dash and whoever installed the hybrid system just use one of the dual cables to go from the new LNBF of to the solo hub.

It's my guess that the problems you are having is due to poor installation by a poor technician who did not sweep the entire system to make sure that all connectors and all cabling is up to spec. I also have to say that beating the LNBF with a broom probably damaged it

Interesting, always learn something new.

Reactions: HipKat
Yes. The only difference is that most of us use port three for the jumper. I'm not sure why that guy used port 2. Not like it matters because both have internal switches that work like the outputs on a 44 switch
Yes, that is what I was expecting once I found the loose cable. So, I disconnected the cable from port three and pulled on the other end of the jumper, and it did not budge. Then, I disconnected the cable from port two, and I was able to pull the jumper out of the arm of the dish. Next, I took the cable that had previously been connected to port three, and moved it over to port two. Finally, I connected the new cable that I had ran to port three, like I had intended to do in the first place, and put the LNB back on the dish. I ran a Check Switch on all of my receivers, and everything works. (I realize that the Check Switch probably wasn't necessary, but I do that every time I change any cabling, just to be on the safe side.)

that's not a bad idea and I always do the same thing anytime I change anything that has to do with cabling or connections, if for no other reason than to make sure that whatever I changed isn't bad

Reactions: pattykay

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)