Signal loss

ekilgus

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 22, 2007
Southeast US
Both of my Dish receivers function normally without incident until this morning. When I turned on one TV and receiver, I got the “Acquiring Signal" screen which shows no progress. I rebooted the receiver to no avail so I went to the other TV and turned it and its receiver on. I got the same result.

I next called Dish to see if they were experiencing some kind of catastrophic event but they said all was normal. So, I proceeded to perform all the usual stuff, check switch, point dish, etc. to no avail.

This kind of leads me to believe the problem is outside at the Dish.

Does anyone have any ideas before I am forced to call in for a tech to come out?

Both of my Dish receivers function normally without incident until this morning. When I turned on one TV and receiver, I got the “Acquiring Signal" screen which shows no progress. I rebooted the receiver to no avail so I went to the other TV and turned it and its receiver on. I got the same result.

I next called Dish to see if they were experiencing some kind of catastrophic event but they said all was normal. So, I proceeded to perform all the usual stuff, check switch, point dish, etc. to no avail.

This kind of leads me to believe the problem is outside at the Dish.

Does anyone have any ideas before I am forced to call in for a tech to come out?

It could be a number of different things, but I think it would be best to have a tech come out. If you would like me to set up an appointment for you, please send me a PM with your phone number or account number

Unplug both receivers and power inserter (if applicable) for 1 min ...power inserter up first
this will power down and reset the lnb
I'm not sure if this will help you, but its something that's easy to try
if you have easy access to the dish see if the lnb is warm to the touch as I have noticed that failing lnb's sometimes are
what are the results of your switch test as well as system info page (green or red x)? and drift detected?

you could also check for voltage on the lines at the lnb (or anywhere along the line) with a volt meter it should be 16-20 v dc ( center +)

Last edited:
I fixed it. It never pays to overlook the obvious. I’ve occasionally had problems with one cable feed to the bedroom receiver due to the way the F connector was installed (the end that connects to the dyplexor) the wire was too short. However, when it caused problems before, it never affected both receivers, which is what misdirected me to think something else was the culprit.

In any event, I decided to rectify this problem permanently, so I cut the offending F connector off and reinstalled a new one with the wire protruding properly this time. After this was done, all was well.

Thanks everybody for your suggestions. Satelliteguys rocks.

I fixed it. It never pays to overlook the obvious. I’ve occasionally had problems with one cable feed to the bedroom receiver due to the way the F connector was installed (the end that connects to the dyplexor) the wire was too short. However, when it caused problems before, it never affected both receivers, which is what misdirected me to think something else was the culprit.

In any event, I decided to rectify this problem permanently, so I cut the offending F connector off and reinstalled a new one with the wire protruding properly this time. After this was done, all was well.

Thanks everybody for your suggestions. Satelliteguys rocks.
You probably still have a problem, 1 cable not providing voltage to the LNBF shouldn't kill the system. If you are satisfied that the system is working curl up and watch TV.

Not to hijack another's thread, but it fits exactly......in the last week.......I am losing signal on HD channels, only. Off the top of my head, if only because they are the ones I frequently go to.....Golf Channel(401), MLB Network(153), ESPN 2(143). So, without fully investigating, I am imagining it's an overall HD signal issue. I've yet to have time to contact dish....anyone have ideas?

Edit: I have a single dish, ground level....as opposed to my last house with two dishes on my backside roof peak.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)