Signal Loss

Videofx

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 10, 2004
Well its been raining now here in Chicago for the last 20 min . Lost my signal for 20 min. Did not get it back until rain stopped.

So its possible to lose the signal for hours in a rain storm.

What is Voom going to do about this problem? I dont have this problem with D*. It will go out for a min or 2 but thats all.

Bill

What is your satellite signal strength and quality level with clear skies?

I've often lost my signal with Dish and DirecTV for prolonged periods during rainstorms. In six years, I don't think I've ever had a usable signal during a heavy rainstorm, and mass pixelization was not unhead of (at least for me) during slight drizzles. Of course, the weather directly above your house is not necessarily the same weather along the path to the satellite.

In any case, loss of service as the result of bad weather is nothing specific to Voom. I certainly don't think you can reach a conclusion on Voom's resistance to rainfade just based on one or two instances of inclement weather.

Voom could be somewhat more susceptible to rainfade given the use of 8PSK and its lower FEC level. I'm using a 24" dish and haven't really noticed a problem, aside from that a few days back. If it continues to be an issue for you, you can always upgrade to a larger dish.

It's raining here in detroit too. My signal quality used to be in low 40s but lately has been around 35-36. Today with the rain it is 28 and I'm getting breakups on all sat channels. I just watched for a few minutes though so I'll check it outr again later this afternoon.

I'm waiting for the software upgrade to determine whether I want to keep voom or not. But if I lose the picture every time it rains then I'm out.

Clear Skies

Depending which SAT Im on my Siganal quality is 43 - 55 with clear skies. When it was raining my signal quality went down to 10 which is why I lost my picture.

Bill

Fluctating

On BravoHD my Signal strength is up to 62 but my quality is down to 35-40. We are having high winds and could be causing a problem today. Installer is coming with a new receiver today and will tell him the problem.

Bill

Videofx said:
On BravoHD my Signal strength is up to 62 but my quality is down to 35-40.

Bill

Where do I look to find my quality? My sat signal strength is in low 60's. I asked the installer about the quality sig strength and he had not heard ot it, thought it had to do with ota which I did not have installed.

Thanks.

Shelly

shelly said:
Where do I look to find my quality? My sat signal strength is in low 60's. I asked the installer about the quality sig strength and he had not heard ot it, thought it had to do with ota which I did not have installed.

Thanks.

Shelly

It's in the same screen as the signal strength...

I went into Installation Settings. Then to Tune Satellite Signal, and there is only one display of satellite signal.

There is also System Status and ReportBack but neither have Quality signal.

Is my problem with not finding the Quality signal strength screen because I do not have ota intenna installed?

Shelly

VOOM button---->Green Button--->System Status---->Scroll Down to System Status Channel. I do not think that matters.

Shelly, Go to #3- System Status, press OK button then press the button ( with the arrow pointing down) below the OK button twice. You will see Sat. signal quality and the Sat. signal power.

actually go to #7 hit ok then the down button 3 times(a grey box) will give you the screen that tells you the sat quality#1 and strength#3..these #'s change depending on what channel you were looking at, some seem a little higher then others

It rained heavy here earlier today. Signal quality dropped to the lower 60s and there were no breakups. 30" inch dish helps.

Lost signal in CT tonite during rain shower. Waching Farm Aid which was really good. Buying 30" dish Monday. Never had this problem with Dishnetwork except severe thunderstorm. Hope bigger dish helps. Don't want to have to watch tv only when it is nice out.

30" Dish

rollerfink said:
Is the 30" dish an official Voom product? If I call Voom, would they come out and install it (thru installs inc)?

If you had the 30" dish before the Voom installer comes out then maybe but you have to buy the dish yourself. Voom will not provide it.

Every installer is different. I have been unable to get my installer to put up a bigger dish

Bill

Wow, that sure was a hidden menu. I had been to System Status before but had no clue about the ok button and the down arrow button.

Signal power 82 Sat quality 59
18" dish

Shelly

Wow, you have a signal power of 82 that is great. I have a 36" dish, the best I have had is signal power 73 and signal quality of 86. That was last week, now they are lower. I am in FL.

shelly said:
Wow, that sure was a hidden menu. I had been to System Status before but had no clue about the ok button and the down arrow button.

Signal power 82 Sat quality 59
18" dish

Shelly
The signal power, were you looking at the OTA antenna number?

This morning my signal power is 86, quality 64. I guess that I am on a different channel now. The signal quality is the same number as when I go into the initial Installation setup menu and get the signal strength.

I do not have any ota antenna installed from Voom as I live in a bowl surrounded by hills and have never been able to get any analog tv station over the air from this location. I do live where we have a 360 degree view of the sky, though, and a clear sky at that. We have a major astonomical telescope facility nearby because the sky is so dark and absent of ambient light. Not sure if this makes any difference, though, with my sat signal.

In any case, in my area, just NBC and CBS locals do hi fed ota and I get the networks from another satellite source (BEV).

Shelly

I have the Dish 500 system and when I go check my signal strength it says over 100.
I did not see anything about quality. Am I doing something wrong?
I live in Ct. and was watching ESPN when I checked my signal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts