"Signal Lost" for certain channels, why?

BrunoPuntzJones

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2005
Nothing changed with the setup, and losing more and more gradually it seems.

I only watch the HD channels, and probably 30% or so get cut out.

I tune to a channel, and the acquiring sat signal thing comes up, then goes to the error page (002 code) that says the signal has been lost.

Quick list of a few

Comedy Central (107)
129/28

TBS (139)
129/36

Spike (168)
129/28

Cartoon Network (176)
129/26

Obviously it doesn't like 129 for some reason.

I've called before and the guy on the phone couldn't figure it out, but I wasn't where I could get away from work long enough to have someone come out.

Like now, I'm checking the Point Dish screen and on sat 129 tran 17 I get 28 or so for signal strength. Change the trans to 26, and get a "Locked - Name Not Acquired" and strength of 0. Or sometimes it will jump to 25 or so and then back down to 0.

The system is a 500 I believe (running a 622 receiver).

What's going on? And how much am I having to look at spending to get it fixed :mad:

1-16 are spotbeams so you may not lock many of those. 17-32 are where the national programming is. You should have much higher than that on 129. Sounds like your dish is out of alignment or a tree grew in the way.

Me too. I've had Dish for several months now and the last few weeks I've been having the same problem with 129. Very low signal and some channels will rarely get a signal.

If I wanted to tweak my antenna should I try a up/down tweak or a left/right tweak?

I would call DISH and get a tech out unless you have a signal meter for sat dishes. You would have to peak it on 119 sat for a 1000.2 sat dish.

My signal was also gradually decreasing to the point where I could no longer get a lock on several 129 channels.

Yesterday I had a look at my roof mount and found that the lag screws securing it to the roof decking were loose and the dish had tilted back about a quarter inch. I tightened the fasteners and got my channels back.

Might be worth a look if your dish is accessible. I didn't have to get on the roof, mine is near the edge.

Why did your lag screws loosen up and what will prevent that from happening again. You have a temporary solution and will need a service call in the future.

Why did your lag screws loosen up and what will prevent that from happening again. You have a temporary solution and will need a service call in the future.

I wonder the same thing. The decking itself is a little loose too. I am due a new roof as soon as funds allow. After the old shingles are stripped I will reinforce the area so the dish will be solidly attached when it is reinstalled.

I was surprised at how little antenna movement it took to lose signal. 25 is still about the best I get on 129, I'm at zip 74801.

I hope I didn't hijack this thread. I think the info may still help the OP.

Update:

Had a local tech come out. Fiddled with it and went outside and got on the roof and said it had shifted some.

He moved it back, and now back to normal.

Now I can watch cartoons again :)