Signal Meter

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bert36

Original poster
Jun 26, 2009
Texas
I am considering on buying a used meter to carry in my RV.

As I am not a professional installer it is hard for me to justify spending $500 - $600 for a meter that will seldom be used.

I was able to set up the used 5 lnb Slimline dish that purchased by using the receiver without a meter.

It took a while , I could find 110 & 119 but not 101. After tweaking a little on 119 I got some signal on 101 and was able to proceed.

Is a used Birddog a good choice and what is the oldest version that will work with a swm 3 lnb Slimline dish? Are there better or more affordable choices?
I figure to probably buy on Ebay.

I have an Acutrac 22 meter for sale listed in the Classified section that would probably work for you. It works with Directv, Dish Network and FTA systems. It has 22k on and off and Disceq selections as well. You can also read the signal on 2 ports at the same time.

Get a version 3.0 or newer version Birdog. The older 2.5's have a smaller battery that can't power the new lnbs. You'll like the Birdog because it positively identifies the satellites and assures that the correct lnb is pointed at the correct satellite. In my opinion it's better to spend a few hundred dolllars for a good meter and tripod setup, than a few thousand dollars on an automatic dish that's useless when you park under a tree.

Get a version 3.0 or newer version Birdog. The older 2.5's have a smaller battery that can't power the new lnbs. You'll like the Birdog because it positively identifies the satellites and assures that the correct lnb is pointed at the correct satellite. In my opinion it's better to spend a few hundred dolllars for a good meter and tripod setup, than a few thousand dollars on an automatic dish that's useless when you park under a tree.

So the New Birdog actually tells you that your locked into the 101 or 103 sat now ?
So it identifies the name ????

This is great ...
When I first got started in doing this , the meter I had would tell you when you had one locked in, but did not say which one.

How many different meter actually do identify the sat by name ?
Of course I'm sure the ones that name them are very high dollar and for me, a guy that sets a dish maybe 2-3 times a year, it's not practical.

Jimbo

The way the Birdog meter works is you go to the Birdog homepage here Horizon Satellite Meters and download the configuration files for whatever satellites you want to locate. I think the meters memory limit is about 60 different satellites at one time.

With the dish mounted, you connect the Birdog and go to the meters internal menu and select the satellite you're looking for. The Birdog then sends a DiSEqC switch command to the lnb, switching to the correct lnb for the satellite you selected. You then swing the dish in the general direction of the satellite and when the meter locates the correct satellite using the satellites Unique Satellite Information Data, it locks on and displays a peaking meter, allowing you to maximise the signal.

A new Birdog goes for about $500, so it's probably not worth it if you only use it a couple of times a year, but if you're setting up a dish in an RV a few times a week it can sure make life easier.

The way the Birdog meter works is you go to the Birdog homepage here Horizon Satellite Meters and download the configuration files for whatever satellites you want to locate. I think the meters memory limit is about 60 different satellites at one time.

With the dish mounted, you connect the Birdog and go to the meters internal menu and select the satellite you're looking for. The Birdog then sends a DiSEqC switch command to the lnb, switching to the correct lnb for the satellite you selected. You then swing the dish in the general direction of the satellite and when the meter locates the correct satellite using the satellites Unique Satellite Information Data, it locks on and displays a peaking meter, allowing you to maximise the signal.

A new Birdog goes for about $500, so it's probably not worth it if you only use it a couple of times a year, but if you're setting up a dish in an RV a few times a week it can sure make life easier.

I set up the RV dish about once a month or so and seeing I do it often, it's NO Problem to do.
Not sure if a meter would really be of any help other than for fine tuning.
I like the idea of the meter telling you that your on the correct sat though, wish more did that.

Status
Please reply by conversation.