Signal Problem

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

frequency5

Original poster
Aug 28, 2009
New England
I currently have the SWM set-up at my house. I went camping and took one of my boxes with me. I brought another SWM dish that I mounted on a stand that I built. I got the correct az/el/tilt from the programing in the box according to zip code. The problem is that I can't get any signal. Could this be due to incompatability with the dish or do I need to reset the box or something. I was using the SWM standard box. The signal strength meter stayed at 0 the whole time. If the meter went up slightly I wouldn't be concerned but being that it stayed at 0 I figued it might be something else. Appreciate any help.

Everything should work but I'm wondering if you forgot a detail:

Did you plug in the power inserter (PI)?

"SWM standard box" is insufficient to describe what you're talking about. Are you talking about an SWM8 or a receiver?

I did plug the PI in. The receiver I brought with me was the standard receiver. Sorry I stated that wrong. Could the wire from the SWM be too long. To get the dish in a clearing where I was I had to run the cable like 350 feet or slightly more to the receiver? I did test the cable voltage and was getting 21v at the SWM from the inserter. There are still some trees in the area but I figured I would get something other than 0. Maybe they are just blocking everything.

To answer the other question: yes I did have it all functional at home.

I did plug the PI in. The receiver I brought with me was the standard receiver. Sorry I stated that wrong. Could the wire from the SWM be too long. To get the dish in a clearing where I was I had to run the cable like 350 feet or slightly more to the receiver? I did test the cable voltage and was getting 21v at the SWM from the inserter. There are still some trees in the area but I figured I would get something other than 0. Maybe they are just blocking everything.

Too far. You need to be something like 150 ft. or less with the SWiM system without line amps.

The receiver I brought with me was the standard receiver.
It is not helping that you're being evasive about the receiver involved. Your answer was kind of like answering "blue" to the question "what kind of car do you drive?". In retrospect I could have asked for a model number but I mistakenly assumed that it went without saying.
Complete with the same cabling?

The distance is clearly too far but as suggested, it may be cut down to size by a good two-way amplifier.

With all respect, you do realize that there is more to pointing the dish than just setting the az/el/skew, right?

GL. Eric

Disregard, I see that you did have it working at home.

Last edited:
Yes, there is, but you should be able to get some signal. With a cable length of 350' the signal isn't getting to the receiver.

If that location is really that far, he needs to use a meter at the dish to aim it and then use an inline amplifier.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)