Signal/Receiver Help??

jself1982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 15, 2006
South Carolina
Hello
Here is my setup,

Eastern Arc Dish, with 722k, TV1 is living room tv, and TV2 is the bedroom tv.

While watching Survivor, on CBS, from the 61.5 dish location, the box said "Acquiring Signal" and the 722k shut itself off and restarted. When it restarted it came up to the "Acquring Signal", then Complete Signal Loss screen. It did this about a month ago and it had the Dish tech stumped. Ended up unhooking everything at the dish, all the LNB's and just reconnecting it all and bam it worked. I know 61.5 in my area is a very weak satellite. And with the work schedule, I usually have to take a day off just to wait on a technician to come out and basically do nothing more that what I can do myself.

How can I get my 722k to come back up or to at least come back up and acquire signal from something other than 61.5 cause obviously my 61.5 is too weak. As I sit here with out tv, can some one help? They have already made me trade in DVR's when it did this the first time, the second time a tech came and spent hours only to finally take dish apart, all connections, and reconnected everything and of course it worked, now this is the 3rd time its did it and do I need to go climb a ladder and unhook all the coaxs and lnb's just to run multiple check switches over and over? All I get is that dreaded 1 of 38 tests screen when I know it should say 1 of 4 the download the program guide, by the way, it won't let me pull up my guide, years ago you could pull up the guide, click over to another channel on another satellite location and bam it would work.

I like Dish Network but this is getting ridiculous. Can anyone help? Or will I go days without tv while I put in for a day off for a tech to be late as usual, spend 6 hours at my home not knowing what to do because my receiver is stuck on 61.5 and its weak transponders here in South Carolina. Please help, I'm at my wits end.

Thanks everyone.

Did you try unscrewing the coax from behind the 722K and then reconnecting?

Yes I did. It just does this randomly while watching (usually one of our local channels from the 61.5 location), and its almost like the receiver gets stuck on an infinite reboot trying to get signal from 61.5 when lord knows 61.5 is weak here in South Carolina. And I sure don't want to install a single wing dish just for 61.5. But this issue has happened, well 3 times now, in just the past 2 months??!!

And when you run diagnostics, it shows red under the 77, and 72.7 locations and it doesn't show red nor green or anything for that matter under the 61.5 location. And check switch gives that dreaded "Fewer satellite locations were found error" that last time required me to trade in my receiver and lose all my recordings.

Has DISH suggested swapping your dish for a 1000.2EA instead of a 1000.4EA. Unless something is blocking your dish 61.5 shouldn't be weak. How weak has your signal been on 61.5?

I don't understand how going to a smaller dish would improve his signal?
It doesn't.
I proved that already myself.

Which is why I switched out my EA2, for the 1.4k turned that into a 1.5k using a 500+ reflector.

The best I could peak TP 8 on the 61.5 using EA2 was 40 using a superbuddy 29 .

When the 1.4k was installed, that number went to 46,
Then I replaced that reflector with a 500+ reflector and now that TP reads 52.
Our local retailer claimed this was a very common solution in their region, and was used widely up until dish basically put a mandate on EA2 install.

But my area retailer will still do this as long as you don't have a Hopper 3.
I suggest you contact dish and get your local installer back out there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Only 2 satellites instead of 3. Easier to set up and a smaller window needed for 61.5 and 72.7, no need to see 77.
That is ridiculous.
The window is virtually the same size for the 61.5 and 72 on any Dish network dish you would come across.

And actually here to find out Dish makes a EA1.4 lnb that fits the EA2 dish setup.
Which essentially only degrades the 77 a bit.
But the 77 has good strength, compared to the 61.5.

Last edited:
That is ridiculous.
The window is the same size for the 61.5 and 72 on any dish you use.

And actually here to find out Dish makes a EA1.4 lnb that fits the EA2 dish setup.

Troch77 I am going to try an old supper dish with a 1.4ea LNB, it is bigger than + dish

Troch77 I am going to try an old supper dish with a 1.4ea LNB, it is bigger than + dish
Let me know how it works, I haven't came across one of those in years.
They are out there, Just in my area they are beat and in Terrible shape.

I was able to get 2 international dishes with the full mounts, and newer lnbs for less than $100 and they are both like brand new.

It's nice when you get new neighbors and they just happen to install Dish Network and Directv.

I decided to swap my out cable MDU service, and they are going to hook me up with Either Dish or Directv.

Which ever one looks better on paper.
But I'm not sure what Dish uses right now for commercial services.
Directv I've seen.

But we'll have a total of 50 tvs. Currently we have 32, but we are in the process of opening another bar area, and 10 more rooms.
I was already informed EA2 won't be installed.

That is ridiculous.
The window is virtually the same size for the 61.5 and 72 on any Dish network dish you would come across.

Holy crap, where do you live?

I and a multitude of Dish techs can confirm that the .2 EA dish gets a better signal than .4 EA dish, usually around 5 points better. It's not just about the dish size. The way the lnb is designed to catch the signal is just as important
But it sounds like you live in an area where the 61.5 signal barely passes the standard to be used in any particular area by Dish.

Reactions: JSheridan
Holy crap, where do you live?

I and a multitude of Dish techs can confirm that the .2 EA dish gets a better signal than .4 EA dish, usually around 5 points better. It's not just about the dish size. The way the lnb is designed to catch the signal is just as important
But it sounds like you live in an area where the 61.5 signal barely passes the standard to be used in any particular area by Dish.
Well of course you are going to have Dish Techs tell you that.
That is no surprise to me.

Look at my thread on the 1000.5.
I've proven that isn't true at all.
And while I agree the "bigger "LNB
Would improve signal sure , from the dish to the LNB only.
And that's where that ends, at that small dish.

A larger reflector gathers signal to transmit to those LNBs.
And the more signal you have available the less interruption you'll have.
Dish to Lnb is the easy part.
You make a wider lnb Eye, that just helps the margin of error when tuning in a dish, it's more of a wider coverage on the focal point on the dish, not so much of an improved peaked signal.

More of a tactic to make a faster install with a higher accepted signal strength.

But that's my next test, to see how that EA2 lnb does compared to the 1.4k lnb when it's sitting in front on a 500 plus reflector.
And distance from Lnb to dish will also be tested as that is also a huge factor.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Last edited:
Reactions: JSheridan
I was having signal strength problems at my location in Connecticut. When the Tech tried to repeak my 1000.4EA dish, he could not get acceptable numbers with that dish. He replaced it with a 1000.2EA dish and my signal strengths increased dramatically. See my last post in this thread: http://www.satelliteguys.us/xen/threads/dish-support-called-signal-loss-detected.358546/
That looked like a bad LNB.
My 1000.5 dish has level higher then your good levels by 10.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Conus shouldn't vary that much from PA to CT.

What's your level on TP 8 on 61.5 and TP 14 On 72?
My EA2 is 42, 45.
And that's on both My EA2 LNBs.

My 1000.5
Is currently 56, and 63

Like I said, I'll try the EA2 Lnb when I get a chance to modify an arm for it.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts