Signal Splitting

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ryanmck

Original poster
Oct 22, 2009
Chicago, IL
I have a signal splitting question, the following is my set up.

1. I have four lines in from my satellite dish to a 4x16 duplexer. This works fine throughout my house.

2. Every room in my house has two coax cables and I have been content with my set up until today.

3. In my family rom, I need three satellite feeds. Two feeds go to the DVR for the TV. The second goes to my second satellite receiver that I strictly use for music in the house.

4. I tried splitting a cat5 with a balun to make another feed. However, the signal was not received.

5. I have another 2x4 duplexer. I tried to split the signal in the family room. I received all channels but the high def.

6. I was wondering if I could split the actual feed from the satellite before it hits the first duplexer. Then send two of the four leads to the family room (2x4 duplexer) and then the other four (two split) to the 4x16.

Will this work?

What you have referred to as a duplexer is called a multiswitch.

What you need to do is use 4 high frequency splitters on the four lines from the dish. Then connect the outputs to two multiswitches keeping the same input on each switch connected to the same splitter.

Like JD says, you can split the 4 feeds coming into the multiswitch to feed two multiswitches, but you must connect each cable to the same input on the multiswitch. (I'm assuming that you are not using SWM technology, based upon your description of your setup).

If you look at the 4x16 switch, you will see the four inputs labled as 13VDC (we'll call it cable #1), 13VDC with 22kHz control tone (cable 2), 18VDC (cable 3), and 18VDC with 22kHz control tone (cable 4)

So cable #1 (13VDC) must go to the 13VDC input on BOTH multiswitches. Cable 2 must go to the 13VDC 22kHz on both switches, etc...

If you're dealing with HD channels, then you will need a Zinwell 6x8 multiswitch for your second switch, unless you want to run another coax to power another 6x16 switch.

How many tuners are you running? Each DVR is two. If your total is eight or less, and most your receivers are SWM compatible, you could change your multiswitch to SWM-8. Then you would only need to have one line to each receiver. There are 3 legacy ports on the SWM for non SWM compatible receivers. Here is more info on SWM:

http://www.swm8.com/swm-faq.php

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)