Signal strength issue - 1000.4 EA

andreny

Original poster
Nov 23, 2010
New York
Well, after fiddling around the last two weeks and not getting ahead, it's time to ask the pro. Previously, I had a Dish 500 (110/119) and a wing dish at 61.5. Everything had been going fine for years, hardly loosing signal even during bad weather. Was asked by DishNetwork to switch my wing to 129 as many others Dish customer were asked. I'm in Champlain, NY (12919) so decided to switch instead to a 1000.4 EA., as it would be almost impossible from my location to get 129 and also would be loosing my locals (which Dish. C.S. didn't realized). Got a 1000.4 installed by myself. I'm very at ease with this sort of thing being an older tech. when vacuum tubes were the thing. Ya, I know I'm old !!! Running into problem with signal strength on the 1000.4. If my memory serves me correctly, SS on my Dish 500 was in the 60-70 range while the wing was at 40-45. Now the best that I can get on the 72.7 is 50-53 while the 61.5 is very low, ranging from 0 to a max. of 35-38. To give you an idea, transp #16-17-20-21 are roughly at 30-34 while 15-18-19 ranges from 3 to 11, so obviously I'm getting a lost of signal window on certain channels. 77 is in the 40 but not concerned about it as I don't have any programming on that sat. Tried to cheat on the signal 72.7 to get a better SS on my 61.5 but too much cheating meant loosing some trans. on the 72.7. Wasn't sure if I had a defective or weak lnb, went back to my single wing dish and beamed it consecutively at all three sats. Numbers were higher as expected from a single but not by much. There's a line of trees roughly 50' away and 15-20' high, also low power (120-240) line, same distance. Did move the 1000.4 to beam in between trees but that hardly changed a thing. Same line of trees and power lines were also in play with my Dish 500 & wing dish without causing any problems. Two questions: first, can anyone tell me what kind of SS I should expect from my location with 1000.4, second if SS is at what it should be, any solution to my problem, bigger dish or two singles (don't need the 77). What I don't understand is the distance from my location to the EA is much shorter that the one to the 110-119 sat. but SS is weaker. Unless I'm doing something wrong !!! Any help is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

My first thought is I am surprised trees would come into play on the EA. Not that it would be impossible, but at least here in CT the dish is tilted so far up that it would take some humungous trees, very close to interfere.

The Sat numbers are lower on the EA overall than from the WA. (I have both WA and EA) 40 or so and up is not unusual from the EA. I too have the 100.4. I do lose the signal a little more often in very bad rain than from the WA, but overall the difference is not extreme.

You are right. Looking at the dish, pretty sure the signal comes in above the treee line/power line. So trees are not the problem. One thing I didn't mentionned. I'm running a single cable into a separator into my VIP722. Wonder if running two separate cables and removing the separator would help ???????

If you mean the Dishpro Plus separator used to connect each of the two inputs, then no, one cable with the separator is the usual installation. I don't have any sage advice, other than perhaps start with 61.5, get it spot on with the highest numbers you can, then see where 72 is at, moving only enough to assure 72 has enough signal.

Make sure the skew on the dish is correct especially the EA try to call dish or local retailer get settings for dish or go to dishpointer.com and put in your location and it will give you the settings your dish needs to be at and for sig levels i would call local retailer or Local Dish office and find out what the min threshold for your sats are

This is a known issue in the Northeast with the EA dish. Lowest signals are on 77. I have the same original setup as you had and they "upgraded" me to EA dish and had problems with premature snow/rain fade. I have a tech out here 3 times since March and have even moved the dish in order to reach it to clean it off in a snowstorm. Like you I'm not happy they should have left well enough alone. My 110/119/61.5 setup ran fine for over 10yrs before the "upgrade"

Well, after fiddling around the last two weeks and not getting ahead, it's time to ask the pro. Previously, I had a Dish 500 (110/119) and a wing dish at 61.5. Everything had been going fine for years, hardly loosing signal even during bad weather. Was asked by DishNetwork to switch my wing to 129 as many others Dish customer were asked. I'm in Champlain, NY (12919) so decided to switch instead to a 1000.4 EA., as it would be almost impossible from my location to get 129 and also would be loosing my locals (which Dish. C.S. didn't realized). Got a 1000.4 installed by myself. I'm very at ease with this sort of thing being an older tech. when vacuum tubes were the thing. Ya, I know I'm old !!! Running into problem with signal strength on the 1000.4. If my memory serves me correctly, SS on my Dish 500 was in the 60-70 range while the wing was at 40-45. Now the best that I can get on the 72.7 is 50-53 while the 61.5 is very low, ranging from 0 to a max. of 35-38. To give you an idea, transp #16-17-20-21 are roughly at 30-34 while 15-18-19 ranges from 3 to 11, so obviously I'm getting a lost of signal window on certain channels. 77 is in the 40 but not concerned about it as I don't have any programming on that sat. Tried to cheat on the signal 72.7 to get a better SS on my 61.5 but too much cheating meant loosing some trans. on the 72.7. Wasn't sure if I had a defective or weak lnb, went back to my single wing dish and beamed it consecutively at all three sats. Numbers were higher as expected from a single but not by much. There's a line of trees roughly 50' away and 15-20' high, also low power (120-240) line, same distance. Did move the 1000.4 to beam in between trees but that hardly changed a thing. Same line of trees and power lines were also in play with my Dish 500 & wing dish without causing any problems. Two questions: first, can anyone tell me what kind of SS I should expect from my location with 1000.4, second if SS is at what it should be, any solution to my problem, bigger dish or two singles (don't need the 77). What I don't understand is the distance from my location to the EA is much shorter that the one to the 110-119 sat. but SS is weaker. Unless I'm doing something wrong !!! Any help is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

This is a known issue in the Northeast with the EA dish. Lowest signals are on 77. I have the same original setup as you had and they "upgraded" me to EA dish and had problems with premature snow/rain fade. I have a tech out here 3 times since March and have even moved the dish in order to reach it to clean it off in a snowstorm. Like you I'm not happy they should have left well enough alone. My 110/119/61.5 setup ran fine for over 10yrs before the "upgrade"

Glad ;) to know that I'm not the only one in this situation. Played around with the dish on Friday. I was a little bit less aggressive with the cheating on the 72.7. Moved it so it only went down 5-7 and got better SS on the 61.5. Also realized that some of the transponders on the 61.5 are spot beam, no wonder I was not getting any SS. So far so good, I haven't got any lost of signal window on certain channel, specially 170 ( on trans. 27) but last two days have been clear days. Will have to wait and see.

The 77 sat is the weakest link on the eastern arc for the entire country. It should be replaced this August when they launch the replacement sat. Then the strength should go up for everyone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts