Signal strength with newly installed hardware/software

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Martin586

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 9, 2004
I got Voom installed 5 days ago. Not sure if I have a new box (Motorola DSR550) When I check my version - I get "Secure Firmware Version V16" . The installation was a nightmare here in Queens, NY - but thanks to help of many Voomers here I was able to bring things back to normal. Voom Installs was also great after I reported a problem.
I needed to correct a weak signal on the OTA (77) left by installer that had me with only a few local channels viewable here in NYC area. After doing an OTA channel scan (new software?) I was able to lock in the signal at 98 by trying different RF values - much better that a paltry 78. Then I checked the signal strength on the dish. It said a minimum of 85 required in order to avoid weather related problems - but mine only read 79 on a clear day. I rotated the dish (amazing to be able to manipulate a satellite from your sofa!) and was able to lock in at 92 (is it 92%?). When I mentioned all this to Installs CSR - he told me these are pretty good numbers - Was also wondering how I can get Channel 13 and UHF channels in my area? (Rego Park, NY). The tiny Winegard antenna is in line of sight of Empire Stae Bldg. No nearby obstructions and only 6 miles away. Should I try a different antenna? Will an old antenna also pull in an HD signal?
Is this Winegard antenna only VHF? Any recommendations? Thanks- Marty in NY

Marty,

welcome. You won't be able to get channel 13 in NYC. They are in lower Manhattan pointing to NJ and very low power. So no antenna will be able to pull this one for you from your location. You got software version 6.00. When you said that you were able to rotate the dish from your sofa, what do you mean by this? Did you get a dish that you can rotate?

The channels in NYC that you may be able to get are:
RF
CBS 56
Fox 44
UPN 44
ABC Don't remember (low power)
NBC 28 (low power)
NJN 50 (from NJ PBS but not national PBS)
WPIX Don't remember (low power)

Here's a thread that deals with Local in NYC:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=9486

Hello, Sean

Thanks for your previous help, Sean. I followed your advice and it worked! Was wondering if my software is the latest available? Also is the hardware up to date? Too bad about Ch 13 (my favorite). I was able to get a good signal using a roof antenna years ago. What if I reinstall the old antenna, aim it for Ch 13 and plug in the outgoing cable directly into my GW3 TV, bypassing Voom? I still have 5 more signal source inputs available on my TV.
I was able to change dish location by going to setup menu -installers menu -Installation Settings - Tune Satellite signal. Then I just waited as the bar signal strength numbers were changing (went down to zero at one point) and locked it at 92. Unfortunately there is no dial to show which way the dish is rotating - so it's trial and error and if you overshoot the mark -you have to wait another 20-30 minutes (possibly more?) I may have been able to lock a stronger signal - haid I waited longer - but then I was afraid of overshooting the target.
Is this "Tune satellite signal" a new software feature?

Martin586 said:
Hello, Sean

Thanks for your previous help, Sean. I followed your advice and it worked! Was wondering if my software is the latest available? Also is the hardware up to date? Too bad about Ch 13 (my favorite). I was able to get a good signal using a roof antenna years ago. What if I reinstall the old antenna, aim it for Ch 13 and plug in the outgoing cable directly into my GW3 TV, bypassing Voom? I still have 5 more signal source inputs available on my TV.
I was able to change dish location by going to setup menu -installers menu -Installation Settings - Tune Satellite signal. Then I just waited as the bar signal strength numbers were changing (went down to zero at one point) and locked it at 92. Unfortunately there is no dial to show which way the dish is rotating - so it's trial and error and if you overshoot the mark -you have to wait another 20-30 minutes (possibly more?) I may have been able to lock a stronger signal - haid I waited longer - but then I was afraid of overshooting the target.
Is this "Tune satellite signal" a new software feature?

When you had your antenna on the roof and was getting channel 13, was that analog? You can still get the analog but it is the digital that is running well below power. Before the Twin Towers went down (9/11) all digital signals in NYC were transmitted with enough power and without any difficulty. Since 9/11 it has been quite a struggle for the networks to get back in their feet with the digital transmittion.

I do not know about this "Tune Satellite signal". I do not know what type of dish you have but if you have the 18" or 24" that everybody have been getting, these are not able to rotate. Unless you have something that no one has. Maybe somebody else can give more details about this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts