Signal strength

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

thunderstruck

Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
Chicago
Hi, I'm new to the forums. I did a search but didn't find anything that seemed relevant to my question. I'm getting HD with a DVR installed today, and want to know what kind of signal strength I should be looking for when he sets me up. I don't want the installer to leave the house until my numbers are good-I know sometimes these guys are in a hurry and don't necessarily try to get things as good as they can be. I never ask myself "is it good enough?", I ask "can it be better than it is?"

I would look for nothing lower than in the 50's on a nice day. Preferrably higher. And look at many HD channels. You will notice some will be higher than others.

Also, scrutinize the install if you seem to aimed at (a) tree(s). You may have a signal now but you may loose it when the leaves grow back in the spring. I see you are in Chicago so you will be looking at 129 for most of your HD. That bird is low in the sky off to your south west. A bit further west than 119.

Believe it or not anything above 50 is a good signal with the newer modified signal stength download. Where I used to get 100-125 it now shows around 70. SAME signal strength, they just modified the "meter". Kinda scary when ya 1st see it though. Welcome aboard and enjoy your HD DVR.

Ed

This will be a rooftop install since I live on the north side of a condo building. I don't envy the guy going on the roof on a day like today. It's not a nice day (overcast, and some snow) but I'll try to ensure he's at or above 50, higher the better.

edit: After seeing where you guys are located I guess I can't complain about the weather here.

Last edited:
Your numbers WILL be higher at first! They will come down and you will see the message "the signal has been modified". My initial signal was in the low 70s to upper 80s. Now it is mid 40s to upper 60s.That is on 129. I am in southern Wisconsin.My numbers are higher than most around here!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)