Signal Strength

Roseman

Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
I just had a Dish installer upgrade my system to HD and a VIP 722.....My wife and I love the picture quality (the TV is a Samsung LN46A650)....It's not that we're not satisfied, the installer was very helpful and professional.....but I was just curious what you folks thought about our signal strength and what it means if anything about our particular situation. This dish is a 1000.2.....Are there any issues related to signal strength that I should know about now that I have it installed?.....

Here are the numbers he told me I had though they fluctuate with the weather from what I understand a few points up or down......

Sat. 119- 110
Sat 110- 105
Sat. 129- 81

We would appreciate anything you could tell us about this......
by the way I like the way the remote for the 722 is just like the one for the old 625 it makes the learning curve not an issue at all.

Roseman, seems like you got a great install. Those numbers look really good. The new signal meter, and I'm sure an installer on the board will correct me if I'm wrong, will render a picture at about 15 and higher. So no worries about the one in the 80s.

Enjoy the 722!

Sounds to me like you don't have the latest software yet. Those strengths reflect the old signal range, before the changes were made to make all signal screens more uniform. As a result the normal range now is between 0 - 75 for most transponders and not the 125 that the receiver lists.

I'm curious about what my signal strength as well... I'll post the numbers when I get home, but I know that the green is ....just...barely...green... like only a quarter of the bar is filled, and before I got the upgrade, the bar was almost full. even thought im in the green, would my PQ increase with the signal strength, or is it going to be the same just as long as you're in the green.

peace stargazer!

im actually referring to the hd upgrade... i went from a 625 to a 722 with a second 500. not sure if the two separate types of dvr's show signal strength in different metrics, but as i can recall, the diagnostics screens looked exactly alike.

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to respond, I appreciate it.............If there is a new version of firmware that "spooled" (I think you call it) overnight I haven't seen anything that says it has....I tried diagnostics to see if I could see what the firmware version was but didn't see it, I could have missed it though.......How does one check that?.....Again thanks for your help......One last thing, the picture quality is amazing and some things I watched last night, movies that I had seen many times and enjoyed, was like seeing them for the first time.....

I get signal strengths in the mid-high 70's on 110 & 119 and 50s (and below) on 129. This is with a Dish 1000.2 & clear line of sight. Numbers are identical on both my 501 and 612 and are the same as when I had just a Dish 500 and a 501 & 301 (obviously no 129 on that one).

Seems you've got very good numbers. So good, in fact, that I suspect as did another poster that you may have the old software that showed the meters with a different calibration (I used to get 100+ signal strengths on my receivers until the software change).