Signal Strength?

AlaskanPrincess

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 2, 2009
Sunny Southwest
1st installer (that couldn't do the install) remarked 'Dish signal strength is really weak/low; about 50%'. Now that system is installed (not completely) I looked in system info Point Dish and it displays the following: "zip code 00000; dish system 500; tuner input 01; spot beam 27; satellite 110; azimuth N/A elevation N/A, Skew N/A; Locked EchoStar 110 West Signal Strength: 50."
I've had 2 previous satellite installs (1 w/Dish; the other w/Direct, now back to Dish) on previous occasions, installers made a point of showing me signal strength, and as I recall they spent some time fine-tuning..and I know strength was higher than 50.
I looked at Dish Pointer page - and receiver display info isn't consistent w/info on website (unless I'm not understanding correctly.) Oh, zip is 85365, dish 1000.2 kit w/222k receiver.
Any suggestions?? Help, I'm lost!:confused:

Well to start off if i'm reading that right that your spotbeam signal for 110 is only 50,then sounds like the dish is not tuned properly or something in it's line of sight,i know mine for 110 is in the upper 80's or 90's.I would call and complain about it and tell them to send somebody out who is not worried about packing up for the day or just moving on to the next job.

Cappy, thank you, I'm sure you can tell I''m in way over my head here. I'm looking at Point Dish display right now - still says zip code 00000...spot beam 27, satellite 110. Azimuth, elevation and skew all say N/A, signal strength is now 48! I didn't get into check, or help. I don't think this is a line of sight issue - dish is installed on roof (25-30' above ground)....

Cappy, thank you, I'm sure you can tell I''m in way over my head here. I'm looking at Point Dish display right now - still says zip code 00000...spot beam 27, satellite 110. Azimuth, elevation and skew all say N/A, signal strength is now 48! I didn't get into check, or help. I don't think this is a line of sight issue - dish is installed on roof (25-30' above ground)....

You need to enter you zip code where it is now 00000. Judging by all your posts on different matters, you should call the retailer who installed and have them come back out. You're not only over your head, but you've hit bottom.;)

50 is not a bad signal strength for regular TP's, most TP's run about 65, but Spotbeam should be higher unless you are on the edge.

These are not %'s but an arbitrary signal strength that Dish reduced in the software about a year ago.

The number is not the issue, the issue is are you experiencing any pixellation or signal drop-outs.

If not, your signal is strong enough.

The zip code thing is useless and unnecessary to be set.

The signal level on some arbitrary transponder is also a useless value, step through the transponders on 110 one by one, some of them (spotbeams) will probably really light up that meter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)