signal strength

dishfan82

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 18, 2012
clinton Township
Dish was already out to fix my dad's satellite signal at his house. The first time the guy had it in a decent spot but when a tree grew in the distance he started getting poor signal. So another guy came out and moved it to a diff location and now when their is storm clouds in the area and even sometimes cloudy he loses signal. Can something be done about this? Perhaps moving the dish in another spot? He is already mad about having to pay 15 bucks for someone to come out and fix it but the issue still persists. Why pay for a protection plan but still have to pay 15 bucks each time? See directv techs won't install unless there is a completly clear line of sight. The tree that's in the distance is a good ways away but tall enough to interfere with it. The first guy should have told my dad that it would be an issue.

Technically he should be able to get out of his contract if a strong enough line of sight cannot be found. What can be done to resolve this signal issue?

On the bottom of the home page DIRT members are in red Private Message one of them for help. A service call should have a 60 day warranty so the $15 fee wouldn't apply if it wasn't fixed right the first time.

I would think that if the tree was in the way it would go out all the time, not just when it's cloudy or raining. Unless the tree is blocking just enough that you are barely getting signal to begin with. Unless it's a massive tree you should be getting some stations fine and others would go out a lot depending on what satellite you were watching and if that one is partially blocked. Call dish and find out what a good signal strength should be on all the satellites/transponders you are receiving. Sounds to me like the whole dish isn't aimed properly and the tree may not even be an issue. Hard to know for sure without knowing your signal strengths.

When I originally signed up, there were a couple of guys from a local company that did the install. If there was even a hint of clouds in the sky, I would lose signal most of the time. Being a newbie satellite customer, I knew nothing about signal strength and all of that stuff...I just figured that was the way it was.

When I upgraded to HD, they sent out an actual DISH installer. During the installation, he looked at the signal strength I had with my old dish and said he was amazed that I even got a signal at all because it was so low. I went from a signal strength of 26 up to 75 with the dish mounted in the same position. So, I know from experience that getting it aimed correctly is a huge issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)