Signed up for twc, here is the offer they gave me

sjones

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 21, 2004
Well i went ahead and signed up for twc, im really going to miss voom.
Here is the offer the twc csr gave me.

Digipic 4000 for $59.95 for 12 months. I had to fax in a copy of my voom bill to receive this offer. I will receive 1 free cable box and the HD Suite is $6.95 extra. I requested 2 cable cards in addition to the cable box and she wasn't familiar as to what a "cable card" was so she said she would just notate it on the account for the installer.

Side Note:

Effective of July 2004 cable cards were mandated by the FCC to be provided by all cable providers to customers requesting them.

sjones said:
Well i went ahead and signed up for twc, im really going to miss voom.
Here is the offer the twc csr gave me.

Digipic 4000 for $59.95 for 12 months. I had to fax in a copy of my voom bill to receive this offer. I will receive 1 free cable box and the HD Suite is $6.95 extra. I requested 2 cable cards in addition to the cable box and she wasn't familiar as to what a "cable card" was so she said she would just notate it on the account for the installer.

Where are you located?

1080iBeVuMin said:
I thought "twc" was "The Weather Channel". That's a lot of money to pay for one channel! :haha

I know it is something else, but I don't know what it is.

That would be Time Warner Cable. :)

CDH.

I got a similar deal, only mine is the digipick 4000plus at 69.99 for 12 months. with that, i get the classic and value digital channels, the hd tier, all hbo, cinemax, showtime, and starz channels, and a hd dvr (this price includes the box rental as well as the dvr functionality). it was the best deal i could find.

I had problems signing up for TWC as well when I asked for a cableCARD too. The rep kept pushing the box saying how much better it was and that I wouldn't get my HD programs. After awhile she admitted that I would get my HD but that I would have to pay a high service fee to get the card installed. Ended up calling the next day speaking to a manager and having the service fee waved after I told the manager that I had lodged a complaint against them via the FFC website due to incorrect information being given to customers requesting cableCARDS.

Tvlman said:
Someone please explain cable cards. Does that mean you don't have to get a box? You can just use a cable card in your sat box??

cable cards can be installed into tv's that have a slot for them and can be used *instead* of a cable box. So you can control your tv with your remote instead of having to have a seperate box and you regain all of the features of your tv.

http://www.timewarnercable.com/nc/products/cable/cablecard.html

My TWC was installed this past Saturday. HD PQ is pretty decent, though not comparable to that from Voom; SD PQ varies dramatically, as there are channels that look real crisp and vivid, while others are just terrible. I know this is typical of cable TV, but it's really a shame.

I got an HD-DVR from Scientific Atlanta (8000HD). Nice box, but the software is tad slow (especially when changing channels) and the menu system is a crap-fest. The only thing I really don't like about it is that its DVI is disabled by default (thanks to SA, not my or your cable operator) and there isn't a workaround available right now. Other than that, I think I'll be able to live with it for a few months.

I've recorded around 20 hours of HD programming already and the feature works great, especially because you can record 2 separate HD feeds at the same time without much effort.

The H said:
My TWC was installed this past Saturday. HD PQ is pretty decent, though not comparable to that from Voom; SD PQ varies dramatically, as there are channels that look real crisp and vivid, while others are just terrible. I know this is typical of cable TV, but it's really a shame.

I got an HD-DVR from Scientific Atlanta (8000HD). Nice box, but the software is tad slow (especially when changing channels) and the menu system is a crap-fest. The only thing I really don't like about it is that its DVI is disabled by default (thanks to SA, not my or your cable operator) and there isn't a workaround available right now. Other than that, I think I'll be able to live with it for a few months.

I've recorded around 20 hours of HD programming already and the feature works great, especially because you can record 2 separate HD feeds at the same time without much effort.

I would go in and ask for the new 8300 model. I had to upgrade after someminor problems with the hard drive after saving so many prgrams. The newer box is much smoother, especially when going from standard to hd channels.

If you are considering a cablecard vs. a box, read this from the NY Times (12/30/04):

" First, you no longer receive the cable company's onscreen TV guide. Of course, most CableCard TV sets (marketed as ''Digital Cable Ready'') have their own built-in channel guides, and so do hard-drive recorders like the TiVo.

Second, you lose the ability to order pay-per-view movies with your remote control. You have to order them using your cable company's Web site or by calling its toll-free number.

Third, today's CableCard can't handle video-on-demand services. (They're like pay-per-view movies, except that you can start a movie whenever you like, and even pause it while it plays.)

Now, you may not particularly care about losing these features. Plenty of people, perfectly content with sources like HBO, Blockbuster and Netflix, have never ordered a movie through the cable box and never will.

But there are people who care deeply about pay-per-view and video-on-demand services: the cable companies. They've spent years and millions of dollars cultivating these services, some of which satellite services can't match. To the cable companies, the one-way CableCard represents not only a huge new headache (involving billing, inventory, business development, customer service, installer training and so on), but also a potential kick in the spreadsheet.

So if you're interested in the CableCard at this early stage, you may have to take on a relentless ''60 Minutes'' persona. All cable companies offer the CableCard, but few promote it, and the front-line operators may not even know what you're talking about. Last week, for example, Cablevision mailed a brochure to its customers listing the price increases for 2005 and describing its latest services, with nary a word about the CableCard.

In fact, you may get the distinct impression that the cable companies are trying to talk you out of a CableCard. At a Web site for Time Warner Cable, a Frequently Asked Question about CableCard televisions (also called Digital Cable Ready sets) reads; ''Q: Why should I get one? What are its advantages over a set-top box? A: A Digital Cable Ready television may not be for you. If you want to take advantage of Time Warner Cable's interactive services, such as iControl or our Interactive Program Guide, then you want the expanded features of a digital set-top box.'' (Um -- those are advantages?)

Eventually, all this caginess will evaporate, as soon as the industry settles on a standard for two-way CableCards. By most estimates, however, two-way CableCards are at least two years away. Meanwhile -- listen up, pay-per-view patrons -- the two-way CableCard won't work in today's CableCard-equipped TV sets.

Before kissing your cable box goodbye forever, there's one final consideration: TV-set compatibility. At this early stage, different TV makers have designed their CableCard slots with different degrees of gracefulness.

If you use, or think you might someday use, video-on-demand and similar interactive features, don't invest in the CableCard until the two-way version arrives in 2006 or whenever.

But otherwise, if Santa brought you a Digital Cable Ready set -- meaning one with a CableCard slot -- becoming an early adopter of this promising technology means lower monthly fees, fewer wires and remotes, and maybe even a slightly sharper picture. Those are gifts of an especially rare sort: the kind that simplifies your technological life instead of complicating it.

MattP-bgsu said:
I would go in and ask for the new 8300 model. I had to upgrade after someminor problems with the hard drive after saving so many prgrams. The newer box is much smoother, especially when going from standard to hd channels.

Also be sure to ask for active firewire port on the 8300HD - they HAVE TO provide you one, by law.
That way you can dump your DVR stuff to your PC or DVHS deck.

TWCNYC told me they do not support it - however I'll get my STB with active firewire port. :cool:

Hmmm... that's interesting... they never offered me a specific selection of boxes. It was either plain HD or HD-DVR.

I will call them today and request some additional information about it.

Thansk for the heads up.

In Rochester NY. Talked to CSR a week ago to set install up for the 28th. Told rep I got a quote for $54.00/m for 1-HD box, 1-SD box, with HD and digital programing. She put me on hold for a few mins then when she came back she said ok.
Called a rep last night to see if there are any new channels rumoured coming and was told they are in talks with CableVision over Voom. Also for the heck of it I asked on pricing again and was told I could get the same 1-HD box, 1-SD box, with HD and digital programing for 67.88/m. WOW! $13.88 more. Also told that I could add 3 more HD channels including ESPN-HD for another 4.95/m what a difference.

I think I'll stick with the 54.00. Try it. It could just work for you.

-Scott

HDwonderer said:

Called a rep last night to see if there are any new channels rumoured coming and was told they are in talks with CableVision over Voom.

Now THAT'S NEWS! :) That's what I'm talking about! :cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)