Significant Dish Criticism Seems Unfounded

JAL

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 19, 2004
Over the last few months, there have been many complaints about Dish and its products, (e.g., no name based recording to the 5XX series, 921 not upgradeable to MPEG 4, etc). Now, from other posts, the 5XX series is going to have NBR, and the 921 will be upgradeable by software upgrade to MPEG 4. Are people deliberately spreading false information to drive people away from Dish Network?

JAL said:
Over the last few months, there have been many complaints about Dish and its products, (e.g., no name based recording to the 5XX series, 921 not upgradeable to MPEG 4, etc). Now, from other posts, the 5XX series is going to have NBR, and the 921 will be upgradeable by software upgrade to MPEG 4. Are people deliberately spreading false information to drive people away from Dish Network?
Oh, I think it was founded. NBR was announced as a nogo for the 5xx series in November, but after "significant criticism", Charlie says it will be reinstated. And again, where do you get that the 921 and/or the 942 will be upgradable to MPEG-4 by software? We want sources. I don't think it will be. Will Dish subsidize a replacement of those receivers? I hope so. If they announce that there'll be an upgrade program, I'll go buy one. :)

Got to be kidding, right? Unfounded? Do you only have simple receivers that are stable like a 301 or 2700? This company is wishwashy on everything they do.

Name based recording is coming to the 50X series because we all stuck together and voice our displeasure to Dish Network.

I personally worked directly with Charlie Ergen to get back NBR.

The 921 and 942 are NOT software upgradable to MPEG4.

We don't bash Dish to bash Dish, they make their own holes, we just point them out and hope they fix them. We honestly want Dish (and the other companies to do good) and work to help all of them improve.

As Charlie Ergen said himself a lot of the time they don't have any idea what the consumers want, and thats why forums like ours are important to all 3 satellite companies.

I am proud that we have grown so large that the satellite companies (like it or not) have to listen to us. Do this mean they will do everything we want? Of course not, but its a great start so far. :D

JAL said:
Up until about 24 hours ago, none of it was false though. Only after the Charlie Chat did NBR appear to be coming to the 50x/510 receivers.

The 50x/510 have yet to get NBR and the 921 (or the 942) isn't software upgradeable to MPEG4 (different physical chips). It looks more and more likely the former will fall into place eventually especially with the follow up e-mail from Charlie to Scott, while the latter will never happen.

Dish's customer service, both at the CSR level and at the management level, has gone downhill significantly in the recent past. People can only take so much before they have had enough. Until the Charlie Chat last night, 50x/510 receivers were NOT getting NBR, even after we were told (and provided Charlie with evidence) that there were going to some time ago. This was the piece of straw the broke the camel's back.

People also have been piping hot about the lack of NBR on Dish's current flagship receiver, the 921. Many people shelled out $1000 for it, only to have it very quickly (even in electronics terms) drop in price to almost half. People were upset, but I think got over it because they understand that prices can drop. But then when Dish said NBR wasn't coming (and was NOT included in what Charlie said last night) AND the fact that it will be obsolete (along with the 942) shortly with the introduction of MPEG4, that really got people pissed.

...and then Dish continues being the hypocritical one, accusing cable companies raising rates 8% while they themselves raise rates by nearly 7%. Yeah they are smaller, but it's still the pot calling the kettle black. Just in this case the pot is a very very dark shade of gray. At least I'll get a free 3.99 PPV movie coupon out of it to make me feel better about raising my rates again.

I use to be one that was an avid Dish supporter. I've signed up several friends and family members to them. The signal has been good, but direction-less operation, or rather operation that constantly changes direction, is wearing thin on me as well. The next several months will be critical for me and Dish. Later this year I'll probably break down and upgrade my system to HD. With DirectTV matching Dish's local markets including mine recently, possible better HD offerings sooner, and a more clear direction in operations, they are looking better. If someone asked me today, I'd say it was a tossup.

Over at Dbstalk, there's a thread about the 921 being upgradable by software.

You're kidding, right?

My 921 is being processed for return, and I should be shipping it back to Dish on Friday. It was the most patently unreliable electronics item I've had in the past five years - at least if you use OTA signals. Of course, you need to because Charlie has no HD locals, and only one HD network feed, which during sports broadcasts is frequently blacked out in my market. As somebody on another forum here put it, "the 921 makes Windows look great". If you're a tech guy, you'll get it.

My gripes? Customer service doing a nose dive - all calls in have had me on hold for an average of 30 minutes per - even at 11pm Sunday night. Then when you get that support, it is absolutely worthless. VOD fee is pure garbage. If I own a 510 and paid for it in full, why should I pay Dish so that the unit can do what it's supposed to do. Dish provides absolutely no content or features to it interactively. It's not a TiVo. Extremely poor quality on the 921, with software extremely buggy even after it's been out there a year. Very weak selection for HD content. And, I pay more for Dish than the same provided by my cable provider. To be clear, that's also because I get broadband discounted from Adelphia if I have a total package, and I also realize that the non-HD stuff will not look quite as nice as with Dish. OTOH, I'm saving literally hundreds of dollars and get my locals in HD.

Finally, since Charley is (unethically) charging 510, 522, etc users the VOD fee, NBR SHOULD have been released LONG ago. Otherwise, WHAT THE *&(# ARE THEY DOING WITH THAT MONEY????? The 921 will never be MPEG4.

Cable is being installed in my home on Friday afternoon, and Dish is done. It's a big change from several years ago, when Charlie understood the market. Today he seems to believe he has a captive audience. The truth is that each and every day, Sat providers have less and less leverage. As Charlie continues to alienate people who loved Dish in the past, he is killing the proverbial goose.

JAL said:

unfounded? found this.....

JAL said:
Dish Network does it to themselves; Charlie sticks his own foot in his mouth about many things. Announcing the greatest and best receiver yet and the damn thing isn't mpeg4 upgradeable??? What a moron!!

Here's the kicker. Three years ago, Charlie said "We are the HD leader." Two years ago he said "We WILL BE the HD leader." Last year he said "I don't see any compelling HD worth adding."

All this guys cares about is making sure every city in this country has local channels. Locals, locals, locals.

You would think this guy would have someone telling him that outside of digital cameras, HD and HD upgradeable tv's are the #1 selling electronic item.

WE WANT MORE HD, JACKASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Iceman said:
You would think this guy would have someone telling him that outside of digital cameras, HD and HD upgradeable tv's are the #1 selling electronic item.
Charlie knows that. He's one of the guys selling those HD sets. What he doesn't seem to get is that fancy toys are better with something to watch on them.

Voom's had a commercial run was based on that point. Hundreds of HD sets standing vacant waiting for CONTENT. Charlie thinks it is enough to be the leader in HD sets and HD DVRs ... but what people need is stuff to watch.

Nothing compelling. Even the mention of "looking at ESPN2" was in the search for something compelling to uplink. The sad part is that he may be right. Other than what Voom scraped together is the missing stuff compelling or if Charlie gave every HD feed available tomorrow would people still scream about the lack of true HD ... and E* would be stuck continuing those channels because if they dropped them the screams would be louder.

JL

Iceman said:
All this guys cares about is making sure every city in this country has local channels. Locals, locals, locals.

WE WANT MORE HD, JACKASS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think these forums are all that representative of average Americans. Personally, I don't care about HD, and won't for some years I would guess. But I would never have signed up with Dish if I couldn't get my locals.

In this forum, I am just a luddite, but in the real world I am a second tier early adopter. Only one of my friends even has a HD ready TV, and he just has basic cable with 10 channels. I only know a couple people with DVRs.

Charlie is going after middle America with locals and low prices. There are just more customers to be had that way. Voom has tried to go after the HD market. I can't say how successful they have been.

Sapient said:
I don't think these forums are all that representative of average Americans. Personally, I don't care about HD, and won't for some years I would guess. But I would never have signed up with Dish if I couldn't get my locals.

In this forum, I am just a luddite, but in the real world I am a second tier early adopter. Only one of my friends even has a HD ready TV, and he just has basic cable with 10 channels. I only know a couple people with DVRs.

Charlie is going after middle America with locals and low prices. There are just more customers to be had that way. Voom has tried to go after the HD market. I can't say how successful they have been.

These are good points Sapient. Dish will make much more money focusing on delivering lower prices with locals than they will make delivering HD. I am one of only two people I know of that have HD. Really. The media makes it sound like its everywhere and to read these boards, you'd think everybody has it, but they don't.

I'm not going to freak if Direct TV offers ESPN2 HD before Dish. The grass is always greener, right? I'm sure more HD content will come.

One thing is safe to say. There is no such thing as having ENOUGH HD content. No matter how much HD Channels anyone has people are going to bitch and moan for more.

And that speaks volumes on how good the quality of HD really is. :)

Scott Greczkowski said:

I don't know, I can't help but think that at least half of our desire to have more HD content is just because we've all spent so much on HD Tv's and 5.1 Surround systems.

I do find myself watching show on HD that I never watched on SD. Is that because the quality is so much better, or am I just trying to "get my money's worth"?

Scott Greczkowski said:
One thing is safe to say. There is no such thing as having ENOUGH HD content. No matter how much HD Channels anyone has people are going to bitch and moan for more.

But, does it make sense for Charlie to be selling HD sets with the receivers and tell the customer there's only a few channels they will be able to enjoy in HD???

Oh, you can almost increase your HD channels if you pay us more money to subscribe to premium movie channels. You will be able to get HBO, etc. in HD. Yeah, right. What's cheap about that?

I would be embarrassed to actually get on live TV and announce that my company will be coming out with a HD receiver that I have no problems charging you about a $1000(921 receiver) for it, but my company only carries a few channels in HD, AND I don't see me adding many more anytime soon.

Who's the bigger idiot? Charlie for selling it, or us for buying it?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)