Silly question about the 922

kemo46

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 14, 2011
Texas
Is the main feature or only feature of ( sling technology) the TV EVERYWHERE feature? What other benefit does this receiver offer as far as sling technology?

I understand this receiver is supposed to have the best graphical menus and search features but if I am not that interested in the TV EVERYWHERE, is there a big benefit for the extra upfront cost and extra montly fee?

NO benefit other than a larger 1 tb hard drive. 500gb for you and 500 gb for DISH to record pay per views on. Still not reliable for recording 4 shows at a time. New hd menus and channel logos in your guide. You can now watch something in SD in a different room using coax ,still not hd. Supposedly the sling extender 300 is coming this year to give you hd tv 2 in the other room using sling. It is more or less a more unreliable ,more expensive to upgrade to , souped up 722k. The 722k can do all that the 922 can do,except more reliably and of course a smaller hard drive & older graphics ,no channel logos. IF you are not interested in sling ,then I recommend the 722k . It too, will also have the ability to sling in hd to another tv in your house, using the sling extender when it comes out and using the sling adapter ($99.00).

There are several other benefits. I disagree on the ability to record 4 shows at once. I do this every week with no issues. You also keep leaving out the DNLA abilities. So for me, I use that to connect to PlayOn on my computer and watch ESPN3 and all Hulu on my main TV. Those are huge benefits to me.

By the way, not a silly question. We are here to try to help with any and all questions here at SatelliteGuys.

I also agree that unless you want the added graphics in your guide, don't go 922. The sling is the major feature the 922 has (it does have some other features but tue sling is the biggest feature) but you can add sling to a 722 should you desire in the future.

kemo46 said:
Is the main feature or only feature of ( sling technology) the TV EVERYWHERE feature? What other benefit does this receiver offer as far as sling technology?

I understand this receiver is supposed to have the best graphical menus and search features but if I am not that interested in the TV EVERYWHERE, is there a big benefit for the extra upfront cost and extra montly fee?

- Sling
- DLNA
- Larger hard disk
- will be the first to support 3D
- much nicer user interface
- more reliable than the 722k, but others will disagree on this :) But my 'k' messed up a few recordings per month while my 922 has a perfect record since October.

There are several other benefits. I disagree on the ability to record 4 shows at once. I do this every week with no issues. You also keep leaving out the DNLA abilities. So for me, I use that to connect to PlayOn on my computer and watch ESPN3 and all Hulu on my main TV. Those are huge benefits to me.

Oh I did forget about the dnla support for Playon.com. That is a plus for the 922. I use the google revue unit now to do the same thing with my 722k. As for the 4 recordings at a time , when I had up to November it was still not reliable. I hope this has changed.

I have only had my 922 for a week now, but I absolutely love it. Obviously not having it for a long time, I haven't had as much time to experience some of the problems others have, but I believe that a lot of the previous issues have been worked out with software updates. Either that or I just happen to get a great 922 so far :)

More to your question, which wasn't silly at all, I actually got the 922 for the Sling capability, but I have found that I am rarely using the Sling and am instead extraordinarily pleased with everything else about the receiver. Its hard to put into words why I like it better than my 722, its just such a more pleasurable experience. Everything is much easier to find and much more user friendly.

One specific function that I find a vast improvement is the DVR management. The pictures actually help more than you would think, but aside from that moving items to and fro the EHD is much easier and adding folders and sorting is a breeze.

I liken it to whenever someone asks me why my smartphone is better than their dumbphone and everything I say (i.e. email, web, app, nav, ect.) they claim they can do the same on their dumbphones. Technically they are correct, but its just a whole different more enjoyable experience.

Typing this has made me think of a different related question though. What is the return policy, if any, on Dish receivers? Could the OP chose to get the 922 from Dish and then return it if he felt it wasn't worth it to him?

I have only had my 922 for a week now, but I absolutely love it. Obviously not having it for a long time, I haven't had as much time to experience some of the problems others have, but I believe that a lot of the previous issues have been worked out with software updates. Either that or I just happen to get a great 922 so far :)

More to your question, which wasn't silly at all, I actually got the 922 for the Sling capability, but I have found that I am rarely using the Sling and am instead extraordinarily pleased with everything else about the receiver. Its hard to put into words why I like it better than my 722, its just such a more pleasurable experience. Everything is much easier to find and much more user friendly.

One specific function that I find a vast improvement is the DVR management. The pictures actually help more than you would think, but aside from that moving items to and fro the EHD is much easier and adding folders and sorting is a breeze.

I liken it to whenever someone asks me why my smartphone is better than their dumbphone and everything I say (i.e. email, web, app, nav, ect.) they claim they can do the same on their dumbphones. Technically they are correct, but its just a whole different more enjoyable experience.

Typing this has made me think of a different related question though. What is the return policy, if any, on Dish receivers? Could the OP chose to get the 922 from Dish and then return it if he felt it wasn't worth it to him?

Yes, you could return it to DISH, but you would have to pay $200.00 again to down grade to a lower model number. At least that I what I have read from others who have actually done it. But I would recommend that if you do choose to give the 922 up, that you contact by email the ceo@echostar.com to discuss it , or try calling customer loyalty department and see if they would work a deal to do the switch. I owned my 922 and I contacted the online retailer I bought it from, in order to swap my 922 out for a brand new 722k instead. So I didn't have to talk to DISH at all . I don't lease my receivers , I always buy them .

MikeD-C05 said:
Not ripping just telling the truth from personal experience. If it bothers you to read an honest first person experience: DON'T READ IT.

Your past experience is no longer relevant. You were an early adopter. Things have changed. If you haven't owned this receiver in a number of months, you should stop participating on current threads and stop sharing your dated war stories.

Your past experience is no longer relevant. You were an early adopter. Things have changed. If you haven't owned this receiver in a number of months, you should stop participating on current threads and stop sharing your dated war stories.

And you should mind your own business. Hello James Long is that you? Who elected you the moderator of this site? I will post where and when I want to. Your opinion on the matter was not requested nor is it needed.

Thank you very much. :mad:

You will now join my ignore list, because I will not argue with vapid people on the internet. I have better things to do .

Frank7004 said:
man you love ripping on the 922, dont you.

Yes. Yes, he does. Even though he stopped using it two months ago. He just assumes that the 111 update didn't make 4 recordings stable. Even though really he was the only one complaining about it. Works fine when I do it.

Mike, it isn't about anyone being a moderator. What he says is true. Some of your information is out of date. As I stated, I record 4 things at once a few nights every week and it works fine. Also, I think we all know where you stand, there isn't any reason to say it over and over and over.

Mike, it isn't about anyone being a moderator. What he says is true. Some of your information is out of date. As I stated, I record 4 things at once a few nights every week and it works fine. Also, I think we all know where you stand, there isn't any reason to say it over and over and over.

Agreed. +1

he's been taking lessons from BOB, I think.

I wasn't ripping on the 922. I was answering the thread starter who asked the "silly question". I gave an honest opinion of what I felt the 922 was like and whether he should upgrade to it. I compared the 922 to the 722k and the sling adapter as to sling capabilities. Now I haven't had the 922 in two months now. So all of you are saying that one update later after I had it and the 922 is now nirvana ? It records 4 shows at a time with no issues at all? Really?

So now the 922 is the greatest receiver and worth every penny to upgrade to it ,even though it was sold to me and others as having a web browser coming and the sling extender for tv 2 for hd . Both not in the 922 - 7 months after I bought it. Yes, the sling extender is confirmed ,as last week at the CES , to now be coming sometime this year for both the 922 and the 722k with the sling adapter. The web browser is a no go , and the revue google unit is the answer.

I think ya'll need to ask yourself something here. Are you so angry about my posts ,because you know I am right , and that this receiver is not all it was advertised to be , and you constantly have to prove and justify to your selves and to others that it great receiver? It is your costant ripping on my posts that are suspect. I do not attack others here on this board as to their opinions, like you and the others seem to do . When I posted I prefaced it with a time line as to when I had the 922 in NOVEMBER and now the 722k to show the comparison . I even said I hoped it had been fixed. Show me anywhere in THIS THREAD where I put out anything not true about the 922 when I had it?

IF ya'll want nothing but positive posts about this receiver and DISH then I advise everyone who feels this way to go to dbstalk website. Their moderator James Long will be happy to goose step his way over any negative feedback posts ,he feels degrades or isn't in lock step agreement with DISH, and doesn't paint the company in glowing terms. If you are anyone else doesn't like what I post, or disagrees with me, then show me the error in my post by updating me and saying that feature has been fixed. Do not do personal attacks on me or try to gang up and bully me off the web board. Show me I'm wrong with logic and with sensible well written posts to prove me wrong. IF you don't want to take the time to do any of that , then simply do not read my post or respond to them. There is also the ignore feature that you can take advantage of if it bothers you so much.

I will take the time to remind you all that flaming and personal attacks are not allowed nor or they welcome. Because I have to say that many of you are starting to make this web board as toxic and unwelcome experience for the supporters here ,who help pay the bills here. I also shudder to think of new members who read and post here for the first time, like Kemo46 the starter of this thread, and see this kind of exchange going on, what they must think of the Satguys members and this forum. It is not representative of way I feel members should treat each other. There should be civility in all posts and how we treat each other on this board.

Last edited:
The point, Mike, is that your outdated experiences with this receiver are no longer relevant. Since you don't even own this receiver, stop presenting yourself as an expert on this subject matter (over, and over, and over again) and find a different outlet for your creativity.

The point, Mike, is that your outdated experiences with this receiver are no longer relevant. Since you don't even own this receiver, stop presenting yourself as an expert on this subject matter (over, and over, and over again) and find a different outlet for your creativity.
Amen Jeff. And I didn't even read that 4 page post of his before yours defending himself. I didn't want to take 20 minutes to read it. Anyway....I too enjoy the 922 very much. I think mine has missed 2 recordings in the 6 months I have had it. None lately. I think the DLNA feature is definately worth remembering. Not only can you run Playon, and watch Hulu, ESPN 3, etc...., but I love the fact you can watch home videos and pictures through it too. Just use Orb or Tversity, which are free, and watch any home videos or slideshows right on your livingroom TV. Reminds of when Dad used to pull out the slide projector and screen when I was a kid.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts