Simple Dish Pointing Question

WiCkeDuDe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 16, 2005
Utah
Hey guys,

I just had a quick question. I got to put up a new dish in a few days and I was curious how you service techs aimmed and pointed the dish. Ive always setup the dish and had my cell phone then called my wife inside to tell me how strong the signal was. Im sure you guys must use a slick tool or meter outside to find where to point? I was wondering what you used and if I can buy one anywhere. Thanks!

I use a pair of vox walkie talkies that automatically transmits when it detects audio to hear the signal strength outside. A person could also use a couple of phones at least one being cordless to take outside with you to listen.

Make sure the mast/pole is plumb on ALL sides with a level and when you set the skew, do not adjust it again. Only adjust the elevation (up and down) and azimuth (left to right). Move the dish slowly.

The best way is to use a handheld TV with antenna input. If your receiver has a UHF remote control and chan 3 output you can run a spare coax out of your window to the roof and connect it to the handheld TV. Use the UHF remote to go into menu for adjustment and you can actually see the signal values.

This is also good method for adjusting your OTA antenna for both analog and digital stations as well.

Another method is to bring AC power cord to the roof and bring a receiver and portable TV to make adjustments. May have to use this method if you receiver only has an IR remote and/or your portable TV isn't battery operated.

I use a channel master signal meter for the job, but if you have a suunto range finder with elevation meter all you would really have to do is make sure your mast is plumb and your dish set to speck and aim it based on what the suunto says and you would most likely be right on the money. I used one of these while in Buffalo a while back when I didnt have a meter to use and I hit the 61.5 each time that way with the weakest signal at about %80.

You can get an elcheapo line powered meter from radioshak for around $30 or so.

The nice thing about jergen's suggestion is you don't need a little TV with an aux jack either, though that makes things nicer. A piece of open coax tied or held close to your TV's antenna will do the trick (albeit yeah, this aint legal with FCC). The signal's so weak though, I doubt they'd ever know.

Walmart has a Homeland Security system on sale for $40, use it then return it. It has a 5 in TV. It is not listed on their website though.

Like othes have said get your mast plumb and level and if you are using a Dish 500 set the skew to what you need to for your zip. This is found in the set up menu and then never touch the skew again. Then set your elevation to what it says. Then all you have to do it adjust your azimuth mostly. You may want to adjust elvation for best signal but it want be much.

If you do get some kind of a meter, you will want to adjust elevation alittle. I have done this for years and you can be super plumb, but if you want to be perfect you almost(I say almost) always have to adjust your elevation a little.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)