Simple Install One Receiver 2 TV's

Status
Please reply by conversation.

seattlecosmo

Original poster
May 6, 2005
As a new satellite customer, I am hoping one of you knowledgeable folks can help me so i do not have to call DirecTV back to my house. Simply put, I have one DTV receiver, and would like the same signal sent to 3 televisions. Right now I have a 3 lnb dish, and it is connected to a multiswitch that has six inputs/outputs. I know each tv will have to watch the same thing, and I am OK with that. Is there a way to put some device on the multiswitch soe that I can watch satellite proramming on a TV that does not have its own receiver? Thanks for telling how to do it, and what I need.

Run cable from sat rec. to each TV. Get a three way splitter , hook to back of sat rec. and you are done.
You can not feed tvs from multiswitch

3tvs i rec.

seattlecosmo said:
As a new satellite customer, I am hoping one of you knowledgeable folks can help me so i do not have to call DirecTV back to my house. Simply put, I have one DTV receiver, and would like the same signal sent to 3 televisions. Right now I have a 3 lnb dish, and it is connected to a multiswitch that has six inputs/outputs. I know each tv will have to watch the same thing, and I am OK with that. Is there a way to put some device on the multiswitch soe that I can watch satellite proramming on a TV that does not have its own receiver? Thanks for telling how to do it, and what I need.

Why another multiswitch for a single receiver,with a Phase III DISH which already has 4 outputs ??
Do you have a second dish for locals ?

Curious as to your setup !!

And yes you can run a splitter on the coax out from the receiver and split it to tv's #1 -2 and 3.

If it works for you to run cable from the back of your receiver to all three TVs, then a three-way splitter at the receiver will do the trick. If the cable routing works better from the dish/multiswitch (I also question the need for a multi) then there is a trick you can do with diplexers and a splitter that feeds the signal from the receiver back up the coax.
It's a bit difficult to explain in words (a diagram makes more sense) but if you are interested, I, or some else, can post the instructions.

BTW, Solid Signal sells a remote extender that has a receiving unit at the receiver and a transmitter that replaces one of the batteries in the remote. You can control the receiver from about anywhere in the house.

These were all very helpful and thoughtful comments. Thanks so much. The tip about the remote extender was great! You also raise valid points about the setup, so maybe I can explain.

I recently moved into a new house, and we had it wired for satellite tv in multiple locations. However, I have only 2 DirecTV-TiVo receivers. One is dedicated to my media room, and the other is in my family room. It is this second one, which I do not use too often, but still need to have in the family room, that I want to use in another room as well. All the connections for the satellite are home run to a box in my basement. That box has a multiswitch, into which the 3 LNB leads run.(There are 4 inputs, and 8 outputs.) It is at this point where I would like to connect a splitter or diplexer so as to split or share the signal that is going to the family room tv, and send it also to another tv in the basement. This way, I do not have to buy a 3rd receiver, but can still use the family room receiver to watch satellite tv in the basement. I do not have cable or antenna, so I am totally dependent on the satellite signal. A diagram would be outstanding if anyone can draw one for me. Thanks again for all the wisdom.

How many cables do you have ran to each room?? If only one, you will need a set of dyplexers to send the Picture from the Tivo back to the basement to tie into the cable going to the other T.V. in the basement. Hope this helps.

I have 1 cable to the room I am interested in connecting. Exactly how would the connections go in your suggestion, and where would each of the diplexers go? thanks

I'll try to explain. If I don't make sense, someone help out. Connect the multi out to the receiver to the sat in of a diplexer. Connect the output of the di to the cable that goes to the receiver. At the receiver, turn a di around and connect the cable from the other di. Sat in on di 2 now goes to sat in on the receiver. On the receiver TV out, connect a splitter. One output of the receiver goes to the TV where the receiver is located and the other goes to the antenna in of di 2. Di 1 back at the multi now has a out to TV signal from the receiver. Cable that to the second TV.

It sounds more confusing than it is.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)