Not open for further replies.

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
The company where I work (< 100 employees) is considering issuing photo IDs to employees, to reassure certain customers. They can be very simple- just our company name & addr/ph info, employee name & picture, and maybe an expiration date. I'd prefer to feed it jpg pictures we already have, so no camera system is needed.

No bar codes or magnetic stripes needed. No double sided. Don't need a system to track visitors or automatically record entrances/exits. It seems the photo ID systems I've found for general sale are all involved with being "secure" and offering more features than a typical small business would ever need. I guess part of it might require a printer that would work with plastic cards, unless there's a way to get by with paper. In which case we could use our color ink jet or buy a color laser useful for other projects as well.

Basically, it gives the front desk at a customer site something to hold on to instead of the employee's driver's license, while our guys are working inside.

Any ideas? I'm almost inclined to just gen up something in Word or PSP and print on stiff paper and laminate it. Surely we can do something like this without spending thousands of dollars. Yes, I know I can order cards for about $5 apiece from various places.

Anybody doing something like this or have recommendations?

The photo printer on good stock and a lamentation unit is the best idea and likely under $200 for the hardware.

Laminators:

https://www.laminator.com/Pouch-Laminators.htm

Printers:

Epson Stylus Photo R280, Overview - Product Information - Epson America, Inc.

Epson PictureMate Zoom - PM 290, Overview - Product Information - Epson America, Inc.

Papers:
(don't worry if you buy a larger size as most software will allow you to print multi-images per sheet)

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/...ype=Overview&oid=-8777&category=Paper+&+Media

We did them for our ten person company. Did double sided color laserjet print on photopaper stock and then took laminated them ourselves.

Office depot sells a business card laminate stock that is already sized and has one edge bonded. You just insert the stock and then hit it with an iron for 20 seconds. Put the card under a dishtowel and then there is no need for an expensive laminator. Add a hole punch and a lanyard, also from Office Depot and you are in business.

Jay "always on the cheap"

OK, thanks. I think this is likely to be the approach we take.

put your phone number on the card.

geez a long time ago i had them printed for the school district of philadephia. that was nice profit, then they bough a card reader system. due to security issues there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts