Since 77W is gone, who best to use?

BUD_n_Sons

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 7, 2013
South West Michigan
Hi, I have a 4 separate LNB/reflector setup feeding a DPP44.
It was for 61.5, 72.7, 77, & 129.
Now with 77 decommissioned (total surprise to Me), what would be the next best choice?
Too cold to change now, but in 4-5 months yes.
I was looking for a transponder / channel map, but all I see still have 77 listed (hey it's only been ~ 2 weeks).
Maybe best to wait to warm weax and find / compare maps then?
Thanks

Attachments

• Tower_x4.JPG
    Tower_x4.JPG
    247.7 KB · Views: 172
What are you trying to do here, have SD and HD versions of all channels? You should have all of the available HD programming (Except internationals) on 61.5/72.7, if you are trying to get all the SD duplicates maybe 61/72/110/119?

I'm lower SW Michigan, bad weax kills the west arc then the east unless it's a big front.
I'm running under the (probably rash) assumption that the Dish firmware will find the alternate.
So if I have HD on 61.5 & 129 (list I used at setup) a redundant for 72.7 would be either 110 or 119.
Until a list without 77, I'm just asking those who know more.

Thanks, come warmer weax, I'll rehome 77 to 119.
I use a baby monitor on the audio from the tv to tune it in.
But I have to find it first - always a challenge.
Thanks again

I made a "hanger" for a baseball hat to park the receiver next to my ear.
Turn up the tv volume until the received tone is clear - good to >100 ft at least.

Yup the toughest is getting initial aim to sat.
Since I have a 129 doing well, it's "just" 10d pull east and 6d up elevation.
I'll see.... L8R <<<)))

Reactions: TheKrell
I have found video calling to be the best, I usually lay my iPad on the couch in front of the TV, facetime myself with my iPhone and watch the receiver over video. On Android you can use WhatsApp, Facebook or Duo to start a call as well.

You kids do stuff differently than us geezers (tee hee).
I just barely understand what you're doing.
Not good or bad, but most definitely a different.
I envy you in some aspects, and am afraid for you in others.
Stay safe & sane - I'm not confident that'll be easy.

Since I set my portable dish up frequently, I use a meter that identifies the satellite signal I'm picking up and a good compass. Before that, I used a simple $10 signal meter that combined with a good compass did a reasonably good job of helping me dial in as well, just not as easy. The key in all cases for quickest aiming though, is a good quality compass to get you started in the right direction.

Hi, I have a 4 separate LNB/reflector setup feeding a DPP44.
It was for 61.5, 72.7, 77, & 129.
Now with 77 decommissioned (total surprise to Me), what would be the next best choice?
Too cold to change now, but in 4-5 months yes.
I was looking for a transponder / channel map, but all I see still have 77 listed (hey it's only been ~ 2 weeks).
Maybe best to wait to warm weax and find / compare maps then?
Thanks
How on earth are you getting a LOS on the bottom dish?

From SW MI, 129 is very low to horizon.
Even transponders get a high 30s signal - not bad given distance and atmosphere.
Odd ones get upper 60s !
I do have to clear weeds a couple times each summer.

Even transponders get a high 30s signal - not bad given distance and atmosphere. Odd ones get upper 60s !
BnS, I am having trouble understanding how that is possible. Is there some circularly polarized filter between the dish and the satellite? Surely not. Something wrong with the LNB? Unlikely too, but more plausible. Is this a regular DP LNB? If so, one of the bands is stacked on top of the other. I would guess that the higher frequency band is the one handling the even transponders. I'll bet something is not passing the higher frequencies as it should. What coax are you using?

Reactions: charlesrshell
All 4 are standard DP LNBs. I suspect the eirp of the evens is different than odds.
Maybe evens are affected by atmosphere more than odds, but RF is voodoo to me.
Everything is RG-6 that I crimp ends on.

From SW MI, the 129 elevation would be 25 degrees or so. Not that hard to hit given enough open space. I've hit 129 from Baxter State Park in Maine with a 12 degree elevation. I was part way up on a side hill though.
You can just see the pole at the corner of my field. The zoomed in pict even shows the shadows

Attachments

• pole.JPG
    pole.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 133
  • Situ.JPG
    Situ.JPG
    323.3 KB · Views: 134
I suspect the eirp of the evens is different than odds. Maybe evens are affected by atmosphere more than odds, but RF is voodoo to me.
Well, for someone who thinks RF is voodoo, I'm surprised you mentioned the EIRP!

Anyhow, I wanted to mention that the atmosphere is almost certainly not the culprit here. That was essentially my first proposal above (circularly polarized filter like the atmosphere), which I regard as the least likely. Either you have crappy or damaged RG6, or RG11 is in order for such a long distance to your receivers. What is that by the way?

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)

Latest posts