Since PTAT only saves data for up to 8 days...?

MikeJH@DISH Network said:
The folder option is available for customers to organize their recordings like on a computer. If you select a PTAT recording and save it, then it will be saved to the hard drive. Do you currently have PTAT enabled? If you have PTAT and a timer created for "new" episodes then you will have recording showing up in the PTAT folder and in my recordings.

I do have PTAT enabled and it's been working just as you described. One recording in PTAT folder and a copy in my recordings. One thing that I found interesting. Whenever I watch one of the shows in my recordings. The show does not stop playing after it ends. But it continues on playing the show that came on after it. For example, if I watch a show that was recorded on CBS at 8pm. When it ends the 9pm show just continues to play unless I stop or delete. I already knew this was the case when watching shows from the PTAT folder, but I wasn't aware it did that from the "my recordings" folder as well.

I assume when I watch a program from my recordings it's actually playing it from the PTAT folder. And after the 8 day period the program will stop playing when the show ends?

True but that is / was not the unknown variable...

It was stated that content in BOTH folders would be deleted every 8 days....and
That the manual timer (dish pass etc) will use the PTAT tuner method to capture the PT content thus avoiding tuner conflicts

BOTH folders will NOT be deleted after 8 days. ONLY the recordings in the PTAT folder will be overwritten after 8 days and will be lost. The recording in your partition will remain until you delete it.

There seems to be a lot of confusion, so, to clarify:

If you set up a timer for a PTAT show, it gets recorded using the PTAT tuner. A pointer to that recording is created in the user DVR section (which is why you can see the 9pm show after the 8pm show as someone mentioned).

If during the 8 days you delete the pointer from the user section of the DVR, normal PTAT rules apply and the show gets deleted after 8 days.

If you do not delete the pointer, after 8 days, the program is moved from the PTAT portion of the hard drive to the user portion and will remain there until deleted. At that point, the show will only have the usual buffer before and after. And it is only at this point that shows can be moved over to an external DVR.

Please note: all of the above assumes that there is free space on the user portion of the DVR for recording and transfer to take place.

garys said:
It is my understanding the recordings in your partition will not be allowed to be deleted till after the eight days, is this correct?

Nothing is written to the user partition until after the 8 days. You can delete the pointer at any time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)