Sinclair CEO warns Dish: Agree to deal or risk becoming irrelevant

Sinclair is on the verge of breaking and then total chaos will result before it all settles out.

" Summary
Sinclair's exposure to its RSNs is now higher than the company's book value. It is now a sports company, not a broadcast company.
The company wisely put its RSN holdings in a bankruptcy remote subsidiary, but even if that keeps it out of bankruptcy, there is no path to upside without successful RSNs.
Sinclair's capital market access appears to already be impaired as a result of the RSN deals.
Last quarter, DISH dropped Sinclair's nets and AT&T kept them. AT&T suffered massive subscriber losses from price hikes, while DISH reported the highest subscriber growth in years.
This could well portend a market-wide shift against further rate increases for RSNs, and potentially even cuts."

I have called my local college sports department and told them that all their supporters who have Dish are missing their games on the RSN's. I asked them when their contract is due for renewal to switch to a company that doesn't have disputes with TV carriers. They were sympathetic but said the contract was multiyear and was at a fixed price no matter how many viewer. I then reminded them that donations to them were not fixed and depended on the good will of their donors. I hope it got their attention.

We really have not missed our RSN. The local big 5 college team, though playing to the tune of 4-8 this year, was always on ESPN or FS1 except for one early week in the year. We don't watch basketball or hockey so the loss of our RSN was not a problem although the short time Fox itself was off could have been.

Maybe if Sinclair goes belly up the, complexion of regional sports networks will have to change.

I always wanted to put a Bills Avatar up, but I never got around to it, til that game Thursday, I figured no better time!
Yea, did you hear about the 13 year old that was in a custody battle but refused to live with any relatives because they all beat him. Well, the judge allowed him to choose where he would go and he chose the Dallas Cowboys because they don't beat anyone.

This is a similar article but much more lengthy. It mentions that Comcast is not happy with Sinclair, and it's contract for the RSN's expire in June 2020. This author re-emphasizes the success Dish has had dropping the RSN's and the fact that last quarter's subscribers numbers increased.

We're big NHL fans here, and subscribe to Center Ice on Dish each season so we're not missing any games regardless of who provides the feeds including Fox Sports.

As someone who is in the Cowboys viewing area, I see plenty of them. All the TV commentators brag about them having the best offensive line, best running back, best overall personnel in the league, yet they haven't beat a team yet with a winning record.

What they've got is an undisciplined bunch of dumb as a stump players with a lackluster coaching staff and a GM/Owner who destroyed one of the finest franchises in professional sports with his egotistical bad decisions.

They haven't been to a Super Bowl since Jerry dismantled Jimmy Johnson's team of the early 90's.

The Cowboys will probably win their division with a losing record, 8 and 8 at best, and embarrass themselves in the first playoff game.

Reactions: Captain Midnight
The quote I found most interesting in the original link posted above was this:

Over time, DISH/Sling’s consistently lower prices should draw more and more of them to the RSN-free platform. Even if every sports fan eventually leaves DISH - and the results suggest that won’t happen - those 40% alone could keep DISH afloat and maybe even set it growing again. Thus, the need to match DISH’s competitiveness will push every TV provider to hold the line against Sinclair in contract negotiations, potentially putting its RSN investment into something of a tailspin.

and if that happens the domino effect on TV broadcast rights revenues, especially for MLB, could be catastrophic.

Reactions: navychop
As someone who is in the Cowboys viewing area, I see plenty of them. All the TV commentators brag about them having the best offensive line, best running back, best overall personnel in the league, yet they haven't beat a team yet with a winning record.

What they've got is an undisciplined bunch of dumb as a stump players with a lackluster coaching staff and a GM/Owner who destroyed one of the finest franchises in professional sports with his egotistical bad decisions.

They haven't been to a Super Bowl since Jerry dismantled Jimmy Johnson's team of the early 90's.

The Cowboys will probably win their division with a losing record, 8 and 8 at best, and embarrass themselves in the first playoff game.
So then, you don't like my new avatar?

• Love
Reactions: pattykay
Comcast is in a tighter position, it has its own RSNs and can't play favorites.

This is a similar article but much more lengthy. It mentions that Comcast is not happy with Sinclair, and it's contract for the RSN's expire in June 2020. This author re-emphasizes the success Dish has had dropping the RSN's and the fact that last quarter's subscribers numbers increased.

Reactions: navychop

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts