Sinclair inks deal with D*:

Status
Please reply by conversation.
peterl1365 said:
LonghornXP,

Thanks for the "inside info".

Back in February, there were a couple of long threads at dbstalk and avsforums about a trade-in program for existing tivo owners. The trade-in allowances that were being discussed were pretty generous. For example, one HMC for a SD Tivo, etc.

Any ideas what D* might do for people that prefer to own a system rather than lease? Do you think the trade-in program is legitimate?

The latest that I'm hearing are for HDTV boxes only so where you got the SD DVR from is way off. Here is what they are planning as of now and also remember that MPEG4 DVRs "WILL NOT" have Tivo software so if your waiting for that you will be waiting until you die.

If you currently have a basic HD box (Ie. Zenith SAT-520, Hughes E86) you will get a replacement basic HD box only. They might offer you a 250 dollar credit if you tradeup to renting their multiroom HD DVR and return your old HD box to them.

If you currently have an HD Tivo they will replace your box with their upcoming HD DVR (not the multiroom HD DVR). I've heard they might offer these things below for customers that upgrade to their multiroom HD DVR (IE they pay the rental fee and return their HD Tivo to them).

They would give a 500 programming credit.
Or they would give a 250 dollar programming credit plus 3 months of total choice premier free (93.99/month times three months off).
Or they would give a 300 dollar programming credit plus 20 bucks off total choice premier for six months and free HD package for 6 months.

Now all of these things I've heard are considered rumor and not official and the only things that are official are these below just to make sure things are straight.

Basic HD box gets basic HD box replacement.
HD Tivo owner gets HD DVR replacement (not the multiroom HD DVR).

LonghornXP said:
The latest that I'm hearing are for HDTV boxes only so where you got the SD DVR from is way off. Here is what they are planning as of now and also remember that MPEG4 DVRs "WILL NOT" have Tivo software so if your waiting for that you will be waiting until you die.

The post that started all the trade-in discussion is here

Link to DBSTalk

If you are correct and there is no upgrade path for SD Tivo's, then I'll be disappointed, but not surprised. It did seem too good to be true.

Maybe I'll have to upgrade to 4.0 after all...

LonghornXP said:
Yes they will free of charge but you most likely will have to agree to another year of any total choice package to get the dish installed free.
That doesn't bother me. I have add D* since 1995 and I don't plan on going anywhere else anytime soon. Besides I've spent enough money on D* equipment over time that I would be throwing money away if I went elsewhere.

Also thanks for the info about the multi-room HD DVR. I would definitely give them back my 2 HD boxes if I can get the multi-room HD-DVR.

LonghornXP said:
Also the latest I'm hearing for new national HD offerings are TNT HD, ESPN 2 HD, Starz HD and InHD 1&2 but besides that I haven't heard anything else.
I have no idea if or when it would be offered by D*, but in a recent Television Week magazine, I saw an ad for the Outdoor Channel 2HD. I also found an article that states Scripps Networks is planning to launch HGTV HD in the first quarter of 2006, with the Food Network HD channel to follow in the second quarter.

Once again, how does one determine who owns their local stations. Anybody know or care to respond?

Newshawk said:
I have no idea if or when it would be offered by D*, but in a recent Television Week magazine, I saw an ad for the Outdoor Channel 2HD. I also found an article that states Scripps Networks is planning to launch HGTV HD in the first quarter of 2006, with the Food Network HD channel to follow in the second quarter.

I've heard about the Outdoor Channel HD. Also the Scripps Network is planning of launching one single channel that would carry programming from their various networks including the ones you have mentioned.

hdtvtechno said:
I see that you might of missed the recent Press Release :)

they are launching two sperate channels :)

Well I don't have time right now to look this up but I will be using my friend google very soon to find this out. Thanks for letting me know this. I'm not sure why I was thinking one channel but oh well.

Thanks again. :eek:

LonghornXP said:
Well I don't have time right now to look this up but I will be using my friend google very soon to find this out. Thanks for letting me know this. I'm not sure why I was thinking one channel but oh well.

Thanks again. :eek:
That's because the compilation channel (ala Universal HD) was the original concept for Scripps. The article in the 4/4 Television Week explains that TPTB at Scripps realized that content is what's going to drive HDTV sales and that having two distinct channels with unique content will help raise HDTV from the level of "pretty pictures" to useful inormation. I think it's a bold strategy that will help to accelerate HDTV's acceptance by consumers.

Once again, how does one determine who owns their local stations. Anybody know or care to respond? Anybody? Somebody? Damn.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)