Single dish option for TurboHD + locals?

spragers

Original poster
Feb 12, 2009
WI
My first post disappeared, so I'll make this short and sweet.

I currently have America's Top 200 with a 1000.2 Dish (according to one CSR I spoke with; none of them sounded very confident in their answers). I just took out a new contract for 24 months with the Turbo HD Bronze DDA package. The first technician never showed up (this past Saturday). The second technician (today) wanted to install a second dish (can't, I'm a renter), but the CSR I spoke with when making the switch to HD never mentioned needing an extra dish (which would have saved time for all of us).

I called again tonight, and Troy informed me that there is no single-dish option that will receive both HD and my locals in HD (Green Bay, WI). I had to choose one or the other for HD (I chose the TurboHD Bronze channels in HD), and that this would then work with my existing receiver.

At this point I don't know what to believe! Does someone here have the correct answer?

Thanks!

Thanks for the information! I ended up emailing the CEO address last night, hoping to get some "official" answers, but I sincerely doubt I'll receive any sort of response by Monday afternoon... I have no problems with my first install or my 1.5 years with AT200, but this upgrade process is nothing but problems so far :(

My landlord was very unhappy with me when she saw the Allen Telescope Array on top of my roof! I called Dish to have the old dish removed. They sent a technician over who (rudely) told me that the old dish was need for my regular channels.

When I told him I did not subscribe to normal channels, he said I needed it for system updates since the HD satellite does not send them. I don't trust this is the right answer because Customer Support seemed like it was no problem removing the dish. Anyone know for sure?

I know it's 8:30am on Valentines Day in 24? snowy weather, but don't lie to me because you got stuck with a crappy shift and you don't want to do any labor.

My landlord was very unhappy with me when she saw the Allen Telescope Array on top of my roof! I called Dish to have the old dish removed. They sent a technician over who (rudely) told me that the old dish was need for my regular channels.

When I told him I did not subscribe to normal channels, he said I needed it for system updates since the HD satellite does not send them. I don't trust this is the right answer because Customer Support seemed like it was no problem removing the dish. Anyone know for sure?

I know it's 8:30am on Valentines Day in 24? snowy weather, but don't lie to me because you got stuck with a crappy shift and you don't want to do any labor.

As a newbie you need to learn some etiquette. It's not proper to post something as you have in someone else's thread when there is no direct relationship to the OP.

What is the point of your post?

As a newbie you need to learn some etiquette. It's not proper to post something as you have in someone else's thread when there is no direct relationship to the OP.

What is the point of your post?

Sorry, through all the junk the point is that there is likely no single-dish option if system updates are being pushed through the regular dish and are not available through the HD dish.

Huzzah! :) I received a call this afternoon from Gregory Wall from the dispute resolution department (though I didn't have a dispute per se). I had to call back and leave my cell phone number, as my home phone line went out today (great timing) and when he tried calling my number, all he heard was static. He was able to provide knowledgeable answers, and we were able to get things resolved :cool:, though my confidence in Dish Network is still a bit shaky:

There is a single dish option that would pull in both the national HD and my local Green Bay HD channels - but it would have to use the eastern arc satellite, which won't work because of where my current dish is mounted (lower northwest roof corner) and the fact that I can't install a second dish, or in a different location (landlord's rules).

Instead, I will be getting a single Dish 1000 that will pull in national HD channels, and my standard local channels on 61.5; he could not confirm that Green Bay would be added to the new satellite, but said that it was a possibility and, if/when that happens, I will automatically get my locals in HD.

Although the CSR I spoke with Thursday night said he would make a note of the different dish, it was *not* on the work order :confused:, so Greg took care of that.

Also, my installation appointment date had been moved from Monday to Thursday *without anyone checking with me* :mad:, which could have meant another wasted day of waiting for the installer; not cool!

Ending on a good note, since I disconnected my current equipment shortly after calling to upgrade on Feb. 2, and will not have Dish service again until the 26th, he agreed to credit my next bill for that time period, which I appreciated. :up

So, while it will end up being over 3 weeks from the time I paid my upgrade fee to the time I actually have TurboHD service, it seems like I finally got the right answers to my questions. If the regular CSRs are giving you the runaround, definitely give the CEO@Echostar.com email address a try.

EDIT: Greg called back to let me know that the installer will be coming on Monday (as I was initially told) and not Thursday. Even better!

Last edited:
Just wanted to post that my issues have been resolved. Got my TurboHD Bronze DDA package installed yesterday afternoon, tech was friendly, and he took back my old equipment for me. HDMI output on my new 622 looks spectacular (even if all I watched was Family Guy and My Name Is Earl LOL). Sometimes you just have to talk with the right people!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts