Single-dish question...

RBBrittain

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 7, 2004
Little Rock, AR
Having been away awhile, I have a few questions about the single-dish transition. I see that Little Rock's 148 wing locals are now mirrored on 129; I've also found that E*10 is supposed to launch in early February. The FCC hasn't ruled on single-dish since SHVERA except to say it doesn't apply to SV stations (which isn't an issue here).

The E* CSR was less than forthcoming; at first she said D1000s were only for new customers, then when I asked about demanding all locals, she said it might be a D1000 or a second dish depending on the installer's supply. Since my apartment basically isn't helped by OTARD (luckily my landlord doesn't care as long as it's not on the roof) and there are significant LOS issues here, I'd much rather keep my D500 or take a D1000 than take my chances with another dish. (Hopefully I'll move before I need HD.)

My questions are:
  1. Assuming E*10 doesn't solve everything, if the wings stay at 129, will I lose LIL completely unless I move to a D1000? The D1000 itself meets the "single-dish" requirement, but the impact on existing customers that can still receive most of their locals on a D500 is unclear.
  2. Since SHVERA suggests some people may have to pay for new dishes, does anyone know how much longer can I get a D1000 for free?

Last edited:
No idea on number 2, but if you're given a 2nd '500' (single/dual LNB), then you'll be able to point it at whatever you want, including 129 :)

RBBrittain said:
[*]Assuming E*10 doesn't solve everything, if the wings stay at 129, will I lose LIL completely unless I move to a D1000? The D1000 itself meets the "single-dish" requirement, but the impact on existing customers that can still receive most of their locals on a D500 is unclear.
All Dish has to do is comply with the "one dish" rule. Whether or not you decide to get it is a different story. The way I understood it was all new customers and upgrades get Dish 1000..but some Dish CSR's are saying no you get a wing dish.

[*]Since SHVERA suggests some people may have to pay for new dishes, does anyone know how much longer can I get a D1000 for free?
[/LIST]
For locals, you will still get it for free due to the FCC law. If your locals are split among 110/119/129 you still qualify. The ones who dont are local markets with ALL on 148 (Like Rapid City, SD, Cheyenne WY, Amarillo, TX and some more). All their locals are on 148 so they don't qualify for the must carry rule.

Thanks, but I'm not so sure E* won't be required to terminate service to anyone that doesn't own the required single dish. Here is the relevant language from SHVERA:
`(g) Carriage of Local Stations on a Single Dish-
`(1) SINGLE DISH- Each satellite carrier that retransmits the analog signals of local television broadcast stations in a local market shall retransmit such analog signals in such market by means of a single reception antenna and associated equipment.
`(2) EXCEPTION- If the carrier retransmits signals in the digital television service, the carrier shall retransmit such digital signals in such market by means of a single reception antenna and associated equipment, but such antenna and associated equipment may be separate from the single reception antenna and associated equipment used for analog television service signals.
`(3) EFFECTIVE DATE- The requirements of paragraphs (1) and (2) of this subsection shall apply on and after 18 months after the date of enactment of the Satellite Home Viewer Extension and Reauthorization Act of 2004.
`(4) NOTICE OF DISRUPTIONS- A carrier that is providing signals of a local television broadcast station in a local market under this section on the date of enactment of the Satellite Home Viewer Extension and Reauthorization Act of 2004 shall, not later than 15 months after such date of enactment, provide to the licensees for such stations and the carrier's subscribers in such local market a notice that displays prominently and conspicuously a clear statement of--
`(A) any reallocation of signals between different reception antennas and associated equipment that the carrier intends to make in order to comply with the requirements of this subsection;
`(B) the need, if any, for subscribers to obtain an additional reception antenna and associated equipment to receive such signals; and
`(C) any cessation of carriage or other material change in the carriage of signals as a consequence of the requirements of this paragraph.'

I don't read that as only requiring E* to offer the single dish, as Iceberg (or whoever talked to him) apparently does. It says they "shall retransmit...by means of a single (dish)"; that to me means if you don't receive your LIL channels with a single dish, E* can't provide you with LIL.

It doesn't say E* must provide you with all available LIL channels on that single dish (some earlier drafts of the bill did appear to say that), so perhaps D500-only customers in markets split between 110/119 and 129 (like me right now) are OK. However, a literal reading of SHVERA suggests E* cannot provide LIL after June 2006 to customers that use two different dishes to receive it (i.e., a D500 for 110/119 and a D300, or D500 with I adapter, for 129), even if the dishes were installed before then and are technically capable of receiving all LIL channels. I don't see how E* can enforce that without requiring all LIL customers in "split markets" after June 2006 to install a D1000.

Perhaps we should just pray that nothing happens to E*10 and it solves everything...

Gotta disagree. I see your logic, but do not believe the intent is to prohibit a customer from using separate antennas if the situation warrants it.

It MAY require E* to OFFER a D1000 for those markets.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts