This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Singulus says Blu-ray take-up faster than DVD

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Singulus says Blu-ray take-up faster than DVD | Technology | Reuters

I bought my first Blu Ray player much sooner after introduction than I did my first DVD player. And I still have and use my first DVD player.

I bought into Blu-ray earlier than I bought in to DVD. But I don't still have any of my early DVD players. They had the lip sync problem. Odd how there were no firmware updates. "Odd" how a product oft touted as full fledged and finalized out the door - wasn't.

I bought my first DVD player as a Drive for my computer. LOL

I had a video card with S-video out and a TV that supported it (toshiba 32 inch CRT)

I waited until 5-disc changers dropped to $200 (Jan. '02) before buying in to DVD. Couldn't wait for BDs to do the same and got a PS3 in 11/07. (Not to mention the fact the 5-diskers are on their way out. Plus my 5-disc panny, with DVD-Audio, still works great.)

I bought into DVD at the beginning as I did HD-DVD and BD. I went through quite a few DVD players in the beginning that simply didn't last the first year, JVC, Toshiba, etc. Finally got a Denon and still have it. All 5 of my HD players (3 HD-DVD, 2 BD) still work.

S~

I got my first DVD player (Oritron) about the same as HD-DVD within the first few months of inception... BD came later (about a month or two prior to spider-man's release) but still within the first year.

What year was DVD introduced? I bought one of the first VHS/DVD combo decks available, a GOVideo model, in 2001. It still works great... and there was one firmware upgrade for it. It only outputs 480i but has S-Video and component outputs for DVD.

And I paid the low-low price of $300 at Costco. Similar models today go for about $99.

Anyone remember what DVD movies were going for back then? Seems like prices haven't changed much since then for new releases. While I am rambling, when is WalMart going to do the first week of release discount on BD like they do for DVD?

BD has been out more than a year now. Is there anything even close to 1,000 titles available? Compared to DVD, BD has been a really slow starter. But then again DVD didn't have a format war to contend with. At least they got THAT right.

I'll bet that Sony hadn't planned on it, but for me (and I gather for many others) BD is an excellent rental medium. I will buy movies on DVD for the kids, but for myself I rent on BD. I have almost entirely stopped buying movies. Until the price of BD back catalog titles starts going down significantly I will continue being a renter. It is hard to justify paying almost $30 for a movie that I will only watch once or twice. A few movies that are favorites are already in my collection, and I can think of a handful more that I might buy at current prices when they come out.