Singulus says Blu-ray take-up faster than DVD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Singulus says Blu-ray take-up faster than DVD | Technology | Reuters

FRANKFURT (Reuters) - Singulus received orders for 21 Blu-ray dual-layer machines in the first quarter and said on Monday the figure showed the new technology was being adopted faster than its predecessor, DVD, 11 years ago.
"This means that the orders for Blu-ray in the first year of the dual layer technology already by far exceeded the volume at the start of the DVD eleven years ago with 17 machines," Chief Financial Officer Stefan Baustert said.
The German optical disc equipment maker added in a statement that it had received additional orders for Blu-ray dual-layer machines this quarter and said a key U.S. customer had accepted one of the machines for the first time.

I bought into Blu-ray earlier than I bought in to DVD. But I don't still have any of my early DVD players. They had the lip sync problem. Odd how there were no firmware updates. "Odd" how a product oft touted as full fledged and finalized out the door - wasn't. :rolleyes:

I bought my first DVD player as a Drive for my computer. LOL

I had a video card with S-video out and a TV that supported it (toshiba 32 inch CRT)

I waited until 5-disc changers dropped to $200 (Jan. '02) before buying in to DVD. Couldn't wait for BDs to do the same and got a PS3 in 11/07. (Not to mention the fact the 5-diskers are on their way out. Plus my 5-disc panny, with DVD-Audio, still works great.)

I bought into DVD at the beginning as I did HD-DVD and BD. I went through quite a few DVD players in the beginning that simply didn't last the first year, JVC, Toshiba, etc. Finally got a Denon and still have it. All 5 of my HD players (3 HD-DVD, 2 BD) still work.

S~

I got my first DVD player (Oritron) about the same as HD-DVD within the first few months of inception... BD came later (about a month or two prior to spider-man's release) but still within the first year.

What year was DVD introduced? I bought one of the first VHS/DVD combo decks available, a GOVideo model, in 2001. It still works great... and there was one firmware upgrade for it. It only outputs 480i but has S-Video and component outputs for DVD.

And I paid the low-low price of $300 at Costco. Similar models today go for about $99.

Anyone remember what DVD movies were going for back then? Seems like prices haven't changed much since then for new releases. While I am rambling, when is WalMart going to do the first week of release discount on BD like they do for DVD?

BD has been out more than a year now. Is there anything even close to 1,000 titles available? Compared to DVD, BD has been a really slow starter. But then again DVD didn't have a format war to contend with. At least they got THAT right.

I'll bet that Sony hadn't planned on it, but for me (and I gather for many others) BD is an excellent rental medium. I will buy movies on DVD for the kids, but for myself I rent on BD. I have almost entirely stopped buying movies. Until the price of BD back catalog titles starts going down significantly I will continue being a renter. It is hard to justify paying almost $30 for a movie that I will only watch once or twice. A few movies that are favorites are already in my collection, and I can think of a handful more that I might buy at current prices when they come out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)