Site Rules?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't believe in a big list of rules.

We don't believe in quoting section x or paragraph y from the rules, like other sites do.

We don't believe you should need to hire a lawyer to look over rules to understand what the rules mean.

Instead we use the "Kiss" rule method. (Keep is Simple Stupid!)

1) Keep it legal - No Hack Talk

2) Don't spam

3) Don't flame other members or call other members names.

4) Remember your a guest in someones house, treat it with respect as if it was your home.

and most importantly...

5) HAVE FUN!

Here at SatelliteGuys we are all friends who have not met yet. We may not always agree with each others opinions and thats ok, but we should all still be friends.

There are two areas where there SHOULD be more guidelines.

1) The Pit (self expanatory)

2) The FTA Section (This is a really special section of SatelliteGuys, our staff for this section is VERY proud of its content because of its technical nature, however by the same tolken they get upset at the idle chit chat that can happen in threads because the technical information gets hard to find. Its not that they don't want the chit chat, they just don't want it to kill the technical discussion and information. I have an idea about this and have submitted it to the FTA staff.)

Other then that everything else runs great. :)

I think when they have a problem, a simple pm or email would be the better way to handle it instead of making statements in the forum that can be taken as threatening. It is nice that there is not alot of the usual forum antics inthe FTA section, but it is getting out of hand the way some matters are handled. Sorry, I don't want a fight, I know I will not win. Just a shame as this will/has scared people off from posting.

I have been doing forums for 5 or 6 years now.

One of the big problems I see is how people READ things. Some time words do know show the feeling or intenet that the author had.

I have not read any statement, but I am sure it was well meaning. I know they want discussion to be of a technical nature, I know a number of technical folks have stopped posting here because they feel their technical information is quickly getting lost by the idle chit chat.

And I will say it again there is nothing wrong with chit chat, it is a discussion forum. But I can understand at the same time why they want things the way they do.

As I said I have made a suggestion to them which will give everyone the benefit of both worlds. :)

Stay tuned!

You are right, it is hard to know someones meaning when you read it. But statements like:

"There will be a LOT more deleting of OFF TOPIC posts here in the FTA area, mark my words."

Maybe it is just me, but it rubbed me the wrong way. This is not the first time I have been jumped about things that i was not aware was a problem. It seems they come to light in the heat of the moment, or during another problem and snowball. I think a simple pm reminding someone they are off topic or such is a better way to handle it then to wait until it is a problem to bring it up to everyone. As is going on and on about it in the forum. I have seen an issue not related to a topic go on for numerous post about how off topic this and that.....well now the "scolding" took up more space than if it would have been left alone. Again, I think notifing the offender would save time, and what not. THen a person knows it is them offending, end of discussion, or converese via pm, email.

Sorry, got long winded! :)

"I know a number of technical folks have stopped posting here because they feel their technical information is quickly getting lost by the idle chit chat"

Here is another example - if you knew this was a problem, why not pm or notifiy the offender(s) that there are technical folks that have stopped posting because of the chit chat - so let's try to keep things a little more on track? It would have stopped the offense, the tech folks would be happy, and most likley any "issue" would have stopped then and there. Ok, I am done. SOrry :)

Last edited:
As I said, I have an idea. :)

Give me some time.

I also have an idea on the Whats Up There Forum as well as there has been a number of issues there as of late as well. :)

Sorry, to rant on. I am guilty of letting it build up, and today's issue just kinda topped it off for me. I feel bad for bringing it, as I feel like Iknow most of the guys in the FTA forum, so I did not mean anyhting as a personal attack or such. I will do my best to keep things on topic as well :) Thanks Scott!

I’ll address a few of the posts in one thread :D

Scott Greczkowski said:
2) The FTA Section (This is a really special section of SatelliteGuys, our staff for this section is VERY proud of its content because of its technical nature, however by the same tolken they get upset at the idle chit chat that can happen in threads because the technical information gets hard to find. Its not that they don't want the chit chat, they just don't want it to kill the technical discussion and information. I have an idea about this and have submitted it to the FTA staff.)
That is the whole reason of my post this afternoon. A lot has built up recently and I guess I got pushed over the edge. The FTA area is mine & Pete’s “baby” so I like to keep it in tip top shape.

Scott has talked with us about a couple of ideas so we will probably be seeing changes soon

iafirebuff said:
I think when they have a problem, a simple pm or email would be the better way to handle it instead of making statements in the forum that can be taken as threatening. It is nice that there is not alot of the usual forum antics inthe FTA section, but it is getting out of hand the way some matters are handled. Sorry, I don't want a fight, I know I will not win. Just a shame as this will/has scared people off from posting.
we have tried that and it doesn’t help. Plus if was more than one person who there were issues with. So I figured take care of all at once.

iafirebuff said:
"There will be a LOT more deleting of OFF TOPIC posts here in the FTA area, mark my words."
Pete was mad. Some of his stuff I take with a grain of salt :D

iafirebuff said:
"I know a number of technical folks have stopped posting here because they feel their technical information is quickly getting lost by the idle chit chat"

Here is another example - if you knew this was a problem, why not pm or notifiy the offender(s) that there are technical folks that have stopped posting because of the chit chat - so let's try to keep things a little more on track? It would have stopped the offense, the tech folks would be happy, and most likley any "issue" would have stopped then and there. Ok, I am done. Sorry
I’ve been noticing this recently and have had some PM’s about it. Now I don’t know if because its getting cold out people don’t want to work on their FTA system, but it just seemed weird that I was gone for 2 days and there weren’t many posts and some of the “veterans” I’d call them havent posted in a while.

iafirebuff said:
Sorry, to rant on. I am guilty of letting it build up, and today's issue just kinda topped it off for me. I feel bad for bringing it, as I feel like Iknow most of the guys in the FTA forum, so I did not mean anyhting as a personal attack or such. I will do my best to keep things on topic as well

I think a few of us had too much built up and it all came to a head :)

hello to all thanks for the interesting reading and information.
moon

Hello Moonmonster, glad you are enjoying the theatrics!
Usually there is more about satellite and much less handbags at noon!

Welcome to the SatelliteGuys.US Forum.

:welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)