Skew at Dish

Not the same issue. Just wondering why one of the recommended pages to get pointing data on this forum does not indicate skew.

Are you using the multi-LNB listings near the bottom of the scroll down menu?

Dish Setup Data
Elevation: 22.5°
Azimuth (true): 233.9°
Azimuth (magn.): 247.2°
Dish Skew [?]: 124.9°
Turn clockwise standing behind the dish

Using this page: DishPointer - Align your satellite dish
And the Multi-LNB Dish 1000.2 (110W, 119W, 129W and searching my lat, long to get
Satellite: Dish 1000.2 (110W, 119W, 129W)
Elevation: 46.2°
Azimuth (true): 220.5°
Azimuth (magn.): 218.4°
No Skew?

Using my zip code at https://my.dish.com/support/satellite-pointing-angles. Called Dish and they said that the Azimuth there was magnetic. Seems a fair and large error box.
Get:
45 Elevation124 Skew215 Azimuth

Using this page: DishPointer - Align your satellite dish
And the Multi-LNB Dish 1000.2 (110W, 119W, 129W and searching my lat, long to get
Satellite: Dish 1000.2 (110W, 119W, 129W)
Elevation: 46.2°
Azimuth (true): 220.5°
Azimuth (magn.): 218.4°
No Skew?

Using my zip code at https://my.dish.com/support/satellite-pointing-angles. Called Dish and they said that the Azimuth there was magnetic. Seems a fair and large error box.
Get:
45 Elevation124 Skew215 Azimuth
What ZIP code?

Are you looking at the listing below the map or just the pop-up graphic...

Reactions: charlesrshell
Dang! Thanks Dutch. I had not scrolled down to the bottom when adding the lat, long and was just seeing the pop-up. The Skew is indeed at the bottom below the map - 124.1. I'm old and my eyes and brain are failing/... Or just call me Dingbat!
We are planning several camping trips and I'll be making a log of the data for each location. Thanks again.

Dang! Thanks Dutch. I had not scrolled down to the bottom when adding the lat, long and was just seeing the pop-up. The Skew is indeed at the bottom below the map - 124.1. I'm old and my eyes and brain are failing/... Or just call me Dingbat!
We are planning several camping trips and I'll be making a log of the data for each location. Thanks again.
You mentioned the difference between the Dish numbers and the DishPointer numbers, so I'll just add that DishPointer is using a more accurate location using your coordinates or actual address, where the Dish numbers use a central location based on your ZIP. The closer your actual location is to the central location, the closer the numbers will be. The DishPointer numbers are always the most accurate though. The Dish ZIP based numbers will get you close enough for a start on aiming, but the dish will typically need more tweaking to optimize the signal than the DishPointer numbers.

I have aiming data listed alphabetically on my phone for about 200 campgrounds so far. That saves me looking up the data online when we revisit a park. I often preset the settings for the next location when I'm breaking down the dish for a move. Saves setup time on the other end.

Last edited:
Just butting in. Going by skew tables for a dual or triple lnbf will definitely require a bit of tweaking.
Maybe this makes sense why.

Attachments

• Skew_Triple_Cropped.jpg
    Skew_Triple_Cropped.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 81
Well then don't. 0.9 dB or more does wonders.
I have tried tweaking the skew in the past, and found no improvement in the signal levels using the DishPointer numbers. Using Dish's numbers, yes, I have seen some improvement. I suppose if the mount is not quite level, tweaking the skew could be helpful in some situations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)

Latest posts