Skew for IA 7

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PipeDream

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 20, 2004
I'm using a round (30" x 33") Primestar dish with a single coax LNB fixed on IA 7 for the White Springs channel and getting a weak signal. I can pick it up fine until about 10:00 AM and then the sig gets too weak until evening. After reading other posts, I think adjusting the skew might help. It is now set on zero.

My location is 91W and 37.7N. What should the skew be for IA 7?

Also, if this helps my signal, I have another 40" oval fixed on G10...what should that skew be?

-Thanks!

Looking at the dish head on from the front, try twisting the LNB counter-clockwise about 40 degrees

skew for that satellite from your area is +38.5

the signal is very strong so you should have it all the time :)

That helped some but still getting a lot of pixelation at 1:00 PM. Signal Quality on the CW600s is 58%, Classic NA gives 19%. I just cut a tree this morning that had leaves the sig had to filter through. Hoped for better. This round P* had a different LNB than the ovals. When I replaced the dual coax (H/V) LNBs with these (oval dish) P* single coax ones, I had to do a little altering for the round...holes didn't match. Maybe this LNB isn't a perfect match for the round. I saw another old oval in a field a few days ago, guess I'll try to replace this rounder one. :)

All the oval dishes I see up have the entire dish skewed, not just the LNB. Thats just a "ground level" observation.

Did you replace the factory LNB with a different one? I have a feeling the focal point is off. You might have to “gut” the part between the eye of the LNB to make it a 20mm and fit right into that “groove” on the Primestar dish :D

If you are using a Fortec Univ. LNB, They are real easy to "gut" I just took a hack saw, and cut off the plastic on the neck. It comes off in 2 pieces, and you don't have to take the rest apart. (Thanks yet again to Iceberg for the tip) :)

I have the one round P* and two oval P* dishes. They all had the dual H/V coax connections. Then I found some old dealer stock of oval P* dishes which had the single coax connection lnbs, picked up three and replaced the dual coax ones with them. The round dish mounting holes didn't match (Same size neck) so I drilled new holes in the lower dish arm bracket...that lnb might be a just little cock-eyed. Even before, I never did think this round dish performed as good as the oval ones. Means I know where another oval is at, I think I'll replace it. But I thought IA 7 White Springs was just a weak station, good to know it's not that.

----------------------------------------
You know, I'm still thinking maybe those oval dish lnbs might not be a perfect match for a round dish. The round didn't have the pointed eye.

Last edited:
LordAlex said:
All the oval dishes I see up have the entire dish skewed, not just the LNB. Thats just a "ground level" observation.
Just went out to double check the oval P* dish. No skew adjustments other than the lnb.

Same here my 40" has no way to skew the dish itself. Some do, my Globecast dish on the other hand does!

Usually oval P* dish have a special oval feedhorn, so you are right they will never perform as well on a round dish unless you use the feedhorn that came with the round dish.

Attachments

• Pict0114.JPG
    Pict0114.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 139
iafirebuff said:
I use 1 dish for G10 and IA7. I used a hose clamp to secure the lnb and a block of wood as a spacer. Thanks Iceberg for the tip!
Which dish are you using to get G10 & IA7 ?

I am using the Fortec 80cm dish, and have 2 Sadoun KUL1 .4 db lnbs. I have the dish aimed at G10 as that is my main one I watch. I then have the 2nd lnb strapped to the mounted one with a block of wood in between them. The one for IA7 is just a little higher than the G10 lnb. I will try to take pics this weekend.

Status
Please reply by conversation.